Old 04-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

team power plutonium 21.5 with team powers xps sport
or thunder power 21.5t
Old 04-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

once again, there is nothing wrong with a TT01 - WHEN its run/raced in the right setting

the TT01's are tanks, we've used them for the last 2 years running 24 hours straight - BUT, the entire field was TT01's with silver can motors and the same suspension package (ie, kit shocks)

we've ran TT01's at SJCCR's Slowbirds- awesome class, top 6 on the same lap within seconds of each other, turn mid- to upper 11 second laps (if i recall correctly)...VTA class (same event, following the FULL USVTA rules 25.5 motors) were almost a FULL second faster...a TT01 in that class would have been, quite honestly, crushed...

Point in fact, 2 years ago we had a guy show up with a TT01 to run RCGT with us - hopped up chassis...he was being lapped every 3 or 4th lap over 6 minutes and that was when his car was running and his speedo didn't have thermal shutdown because of the gearing he was throwing on the car and the motor was WAY undergeared...he lasted 3 or 4 races, then stopped coming around -not because he was being beat, but because his equipment was failing him...it ain't too much fun to be that far behind even the slowest of racers in the class

I don't recommend dropping boatloads of money into the TT01 - I have 1, and its meets Tamiya's TCS rules for spec/novice racing and its staying that way - you won't get the performance out of the chassis for the amount of money you put into it...you're are honestly better off looking for a used chassis for running in this 21.5 class - you'll get a more adjustable chassis, with better gearing options then the TT01 (oh yea, did we mention, there's only 3 different spur gears and 4 pinion options in the kit format and with optional parts?)

its a great beginner's car or a pure spec class racer car - but beyond that, it's limitaton really show
Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Use the f201 spur gear. It takes small mod but its easy to do. Search it on Google. I believe it is a 52 tooth gear and if I remember correctly you can use a 34 pinion. You can get very close to the 4.2 FDR.

Put it out there and have fun but if you want to be very competitive plan on a new chassis in the future.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by k_bojar
like Mike said, the TT01 is very limited..even with the 55T spur and 25t pinion (optional parts), the lowest (fastest) ratio is only a 5.72 (per tamiya) which is going to be considerable slower then a car running 4.2, or right at the limit...
You can use some bigger pinions in the stock TT-01, with a 55T spur you can fit pinions up to 28T and has a FDR of 5.1
That's what we are doing on larger tracks at the belgian TCS.
And all those bigger pinions are made by tamiya itself.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by addicted2blue
You can use some bigger pinions in the stock TT-01, with a 55T spur you can fit pinions up to 28T and has a FDR of 5.1
That's what we are doing on larger tracks at the belgian TCS.
And all those bigger pinions are made by tamiya itself.
I know people have done things like that - and, believe me, I'm not knocking the car but in the right setting (TCS, true spec class) the car is AWESOME

but still the max of 5.1 is still a way off of a car running 4.2
Old 04-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Zed,
It looks like you want to run the TT01 no matter what! I'm cool with that! Tamiyas are great touring cars, they have them from the TT01 to the TB03, TA05, TA06 and the 417

I doesn't matter which motor you use because it is so undergeard. Like they said, either silvercan or any other 21.5 brushless. I have a 17.5 Revtech brushless in my Tamiya M05 Pro and it is limited to 20t pinion in my class, the speed is the same as the silver can because it is so undergeared.

Try using the F201 spur gears as was mentioned above to get it near 4 to 1 that will at least give you some speed.

Have fun,
Old 04-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Tech Rookie

I ordered the f201 gear set so ill get that in and go from there. I am not dead set on running it but Just kinda short on cash so its piece buy piece right now. I appreciate all the help.