RC Crew Chief Software >

RC Crew Chief Software

Like Tree76Likes

RC Crew Chief Software

Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default RC Crew Chief Software

I couldn't find the old thread with the setup info and tips and tricks, so I'm starting a new one. So far I've found it very helpful to get quick numbers on what camber link and roll center changes will do to camber change and weight transfer through a corner. I haven't really gotten into the motor dyno settings, but they seem well thought out.

If you're looking for the software:
http://rccrewchief.wrightdesign.ca/
RaptorToto likes this.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Great piece of software. You get so much more insight to your setup.

Worth every penny!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

yep and tech support second to none
Old 03-31-2012, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for starting a new thread. The last one got pulled.

Sounds like the program is working well for you guys. That was the plan .

I believe all I am allowed to do in this thread is answer any questions you may have or participate in general discussions.

I am starting to work on some program improvements now that hopefully all the bugs are out. If you have suggestions for improvements let me know and I'll do my best to incorporate them.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

it has really helped a lot

I would still like to see some optional top shock mounting positions (buggy style multi level advanced mode options)
and the droop stop option and effect that was discussed in the old thread
also a print your setup option
Old 04-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by azeroth
it has really helped a lot

I would still like to see some optional top shock mounting positions (buggy style multi level advanced mode options)
and the droop stop option and effect that was discussed in the old thread
also a print your setup option
Thanks Azeroth, I have your suggestions on my list. My plan for the update currently in work is:

Setup file Import/Export
Setup Print (just for you)
On Handling page allow suspension link positions and shock positions (similar to setup page) to be changed.
Add option to save changes made on the Handling page back to the setup.

Hope to have this update out in a week or so. Then I will start working on modelling the droop settings.

The multi-level shock mount points involves significant changes to the database structure so will likely not happen until a major update.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Glad to see a new thread up for this. I have only be using the program for a couple weeks and it has helped. It lets you understand what your doing to your car as you are changing things around. Anyway I have a few questions,

How do you properly figure the weight for the sprung/unsprung weight?

How do you figure the arm movement value that is on the setup page?

I know this was talked about in the thread that was pulled, I read it but did not have the program yet.

Thanks for any help on these.

Steve P.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:55 PM
Tech Addict

Does this work for oval pan cars?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Thanks Bob i know i am such a pain
the un-sprung weight, ok block up chassis remove shocks weight up shocks divide by 2 this will be closs enough but with chassis blocked up tires and wheels on use your scales like you where weighting the car make sure it is not against the droop screws or bottomed out make sure the suspension moves freely take the weight from the 4 scales and then the shock weight you got earlier add them together is your unsprung weight
Old 04-02-2012, 04:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12
Does this work for oval pan cars?
I doesn't work for cars with asymmetric suspension or live axle cars (1/12 scale, WGT, F1 or oval). For now it must have independent F/R suspension. Maybe down the road I'll look into live axle cars.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by srp67
Glad to see a new thread up for this. I have only be using the program for a couple weeks and it has helped. It lets you understand what your doing to your car as you are changing things around. Anyway I have a few questions,

How do you properly figure the weight for the sprung/unsprung weight?

How do you figure the arm movement value that is on the setup page?

I know this was talked about in the thread that was pulled, I read it but did not have the program yet.

Thanks for any help on these.

Steve P.
There are two methods to get the unsprung mass the "Azeroth" method above or the component method.

The component procedure is as follows:
  1. Dismantle one side of the suspension.
  2. Weigh everthing that is outboard of the shocks (wheels, bearings, hubs and axles). This is all 100% unsprung weight. Call this W1
  3. Weigh everthing that connects between the components above and the chassis, So suspension arms, camber links, Tie rods and springs/shocks. Take 1/2 of this number and call this W2
  4. The total unsprung weight is (W1+W2)x2.
  5. Repeat this procedure for the other end of the car.
  6. The Sprung mass is then the total car mass - the front and rear unsprung mass.

The other method works very well and is much easier. This is how I do it now. You just have to be careful that you arms arms not binding or you are not sitting on the droop screws. If you get different readings on the scales between the left and right sides then something is likely binding. Also make sure you disconnect the anti-roll bars as they can be tweaked.

The arm movement for the camber gain calculation is measured as vertical chassis movement. So if you push down on the chassis to get 3mm of movement the camber gain value listed is how much the camber will change. The previous method used an arm angle rotation which was not easy to relate to.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I just found this software and it has me intrigued. As an off-road racer, I like to keep setup lists that I can reference from track to track. That way if the new layout track x is similar to track y I can quickly reference that setup and make any necessary adjustments. Will there be any sort of "summary" sheets/pages/tabs available? It would be helpful to have an area to add notes for tire selection, diff oil weight, etc... Any chance that the print option will be widely available? Thanks!
Old 04-08-2012, 03:45 AM
Tech Addict

ufoDziner,

On the third page in the setup tab are 3 text boxes, one for track notes, one for setup notes (diff oil weight, droop settings and so on) and one for tire notes. I am working on a print page that will provide a summary of all the setup information entered. That should provide the setup summary you are looking for on hopefully one page. All of your setups are also stored in the program so you can access them any time.

Not sure what you mean by "Will the print option be widely available?". It will be part of the program so every user will have it.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Hey Bob, could explain how to measure the IFS in terms of this program? I have a ta05v2 and want to model it.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BobW
You just have to be careful that you arms arms not binding or you are not sitting on the droop screws. If you get different readings on the scales between the left and right sides then something is likely binding.
Bob, in the above statement are you referring to corner loads with everything assembled? If you have different load measurements left/right and bias the setup could simply be preload tweaked as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.