Search
Like Tree76Likes

RC Crew Chief Software

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Hey Bob, could explain how to measure the IFS in terms of this program? I have a ta05v2 and want to model it.
There is already a TA05 V2 (laydown shocks) modelled in the program. You just have to import it.

It's a little tricky to explain how I came up with the shock model as the geometry with the pushrod/crankarm gets a little complicated. The simplest way to do it is to measure the X1, Y1 coordinates of the push rod connection to the crankarm as it shows on the shock variables graphic. Then correct the pushrod angle to get the correct shock movement. I did this by measuring the shock movement at several different chassis vertical displacements.

If the model with the program doesn't suit your needs let me know and I'll write up a better procedure.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Lessen
Bob, in the above statement are you referring to corner loads with everything assembled? If you have different load measurements left/right and bias the setup could simply be preload tweaked as well.
When you use this method to measure the unsprung mass the shocks and ARB's are not connected so the only weight you will be reading on the scales is the dead weight of the wheels, tires, axles and so on. The chassis weight is supported on droop blocks or something similar. There are no preloads to cause tweak only friction in the hinge pins and/or ball cups/studs.

For a 1/10 sedan you should be reading about 50gms at each corner
Old 04-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BobW
Thanks Azeroth, I have your suggestions on my list. My plan for the update currently in work is:

Setup file Import/Export
Setup Print (just for you)
On Handling page allow suspension link positions and shock positions (similar to setup page) to be changed.
Add option to save changes made on the Handling page back to the setup.

Hope to have this update out in a week or so. Then I will start working on modelling the droop settings.

The multi-level shock mount points involves significant changes to the database structure so will likely not happen until a major update.
Thanks for the prompt reply. This is what I was referring to when I asked about the printing.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Tech Addict

Ahhh. By "just for you" I was referring to it being his request. Not that Azeroth would be the only one to get it. The print option will be available to everyone.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When you use this method to measure the unsprung mass the shocks and ARB's are not connected so the only weight you will be reading on the scales is the dead weight of the wheels, tires, axles and so on. The chassis weight is supported on droop blocks or something similar. There are no preloads to cause tweak only friction in the hinge pins and/or ball cups/studs.

For a 1/10 sedan you should be reading about 50gms at each corner
I hear ya, thanks!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

There is already a TA05 V2 (laydown shocks) modelled in the program. You just have to import it.

It's a little tricky to explain how I came up with the shock model as the geometry with the pushrod/crankarm gets a little complicated. The simplest way to do it is to measure the X1, Y1 coordinates of the push rod connection to the crankarm as it shows on the shock variables graphic. Then correct the pushrod angle to get the correct shock movement. I did this by measuring the shock movement at several different chassis vertical displacements.

If the model with the program doesn't suit your needs let me know and I'll write up a better procedure.
The only model I see is a TAO5 V2, is this with the laydown geometry, or did I not download the file? (ta06 has 2 files)

thanks for the help.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Addict

Sorry Mike didn't get a notification of your post.

Yes the TA05 V2 model is the one you want. The model will draw as a short upright shock. The geometry has been corrected to account for the rocker arm to provide the correct ride and roll stiffness values. That is what is important. The front unsprung mass in the car model is also slightly lower because the shocks are now 100% sprung mass.

Adding shims under the shock ball stud on the rocker arm has the same affect as standing up the shock in a conventional upright shock. I didn't work out that part but it shouldn't be to hard to figure out. Let me know if you want me to do it.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I purchased the app and I really enjoy it. Thank yo

I would like a roll out chart added to the final drive page. Have a swith with rubber tire or foam tire. That way when I tap foam tire it will lead me through a roll out chart like you final drive chart does.

Can you also add an explanation of front arm toe. What are different effects on have the front arms swept forward vs front arms swept back.

Thanks so much for the help over the last few years. I bought your book along time ago. It has help more then anything except practice.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Tech Addict

Joe Maxey, I think you may have posted your requests in the wrong thread. It sounds like you are talking about Martin Crisp's "RC Setup" app for iphone and android. Do a search and you should find it.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Joe Maxey, I think you may have posted your requests in the wrong thread. It sounds like you are talking about Martin Crisp's "RC Setup" app for iphone and android. Do a search and you should find it.
Sorry.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

has anyone measured or up the TC 6.1 yet ? or have the chassis file ?

love the program by the way !!
Old 04-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by SlideMasteR
has anyone measured or up the TC 6.1 yet ? or have the chassis file ?

love the program by the way !!
I tried a new method to create chassis models that seems to work quite well. It involves importing an image of the suspension from the Setup sheet into my CAD program. I then use the image as a base to locate the suspension points. I used the TC6 shock tower mount points as a reference for scaling. The results look to be within .2mm which isn't bad. Email me and I'll send you the Car, Chassis and Setup files.

This method should work for any chassis as long as I have a scale image of the suspension to work from.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 PM
Tech Adept

I tried a new method to create chassis models that seems to work quite well. It involves importing an image of the suspension from the Setup sheet into my CAD program. I then use the image as a base to locate the suspension points. I used the TC6 shock tower mount points as a reference for scaling. The results look to be within .2mm which isn't bad. Email me and I'll send you the Car, Chassis and Setup files.

This method should work for any chassis as long as I have a scale image of the suspension to work from.
Thats great, email has been sent, thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Off Road

I have This software and have my on road car loaded Tc6.
Is there a mbx6t file i can get for my mugen truggy. the program helped my on road experience a lot and i can use the help for off road .
Great work on the program Bob.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Tech Addict

I wish I could say I have the Mugen but unfortunately I don't at this time. I've been working hard on an upgrade that gets into dynamic roll centre, droop and some chassis roll animations. This work has been consuming all my spare time lately.

I do have an idea on how I can build models using digital photos though. It will involve some work on your part to take photos of the chassis with a ruler included to provide a scale I can work from. If you are up for it let me know and I will get together an example of what I need to try this out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.