Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default VTA

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
Yes but no timeline. It won't be soon.
I guess this means I'll have to change out my Novak Boss VTA motor if and when this happens. Ugh. They just won't leave this class alone. Will they?
Old 01-06-2022, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jammin684
I guess this means I'll have to change out my Novak Boss VTA motor if and when this happens. Ugh. They just won't leave this class alone. Will they?
HAHAHAHA!
Old 01-06-2022, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Default VTA

Originally Posted by NutDriver
HAHAHAHA!
It will happen Nut Driver. Lol.
NutDriver likes this.
Old 01-06-2022, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

One would think that a fixed timing spec 25.5 would need to be geared in the 2:1 range, otherwise it's slow AF​​​​​.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:21 PM
Tech Regular

I don't really see a reason to go to a "one brand only" rule for this class. Most of the recent versions seem to have similar performance. In fact, when I asked one motor company if their latest version (backordered) is much different from the previous one, the answer was:
Basically Roar has such tight guidelines on the 25.5, there wasn't much we could improve upon without breaking the rules.
I suppose if you wanted to eliminate the $150 "race tuned, 5% blessed-by-the-Pope" motors, you could use a motor claim rule like some full-scale series use....
Old 01-07-2022, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Default VTA

Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy
I don't really see a reason to go to a "one brand only" rule for this class. Most of the recent versions seem to have similar performance. In fact, when I asked one motor company if their latest version (backordered) is much different from the previous one, the answer was:

I suppose if you wanted to eliminate the $150 "race tuned, 5% blessed-by-the-Pope" motors, you could use a motor claim rule like some full-scale series use....
I agree Kevin. I think I've seen 8-10 different manufacturers run their 25.5T motors at my track and I do not see much difference. I tried one of the Motors of the month and still ran mid-pack on back.Lol. It still comes down to hitting your lines and your set up.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kevin Marcy

I don't see a reason to go to a "one brand only" rule NOW, but remember that the class only allowed Novak 25.5 motors up until Novak went out of business.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:57 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

My guess, they will source a spec VTA motor from same vendor that’s making the USGT Spec motor.
Old 01-08-2022, 04:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
My guess, they will source a spec VTA motor from same vendor that’s making the USGT Spec motor.
I could see this be a possibility at some of the larger events such as Snowbirds or Indoor Champs.... only way it would work for me is a handout motor that you turn in at the end of the race day and then pick it up a random motor the next race day......if its done like the usgt motors, you'll have guys buying 5 motors to find the one thats "better" on the motolyser .......if thats happens, just leave the motors open instead imho ,......... as for club racing from whati've seen most everyone want to run whatever they want
jammin684 likes this.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Most of the suggested changes to VTA I see are coming from guys who get schooled and dusted in the current classes they run at their tracks. The thought is .."lets go over to VTA and make some changes here too like weight change, one Spec motor, certain bodies only, etc" That way I'll make podium"

You're going to get schooled and dusted in VTA too. Leave the class alone. It's already a fun class to run without changing the standards.
Insane likes this.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jammin684
Most of the suggested changes to VTA I see are coming from guys who get schooled and dusted in the current classes they run at their tracks. The thought is .."lets go over to VTA and make some changes here too like weight change, one Spec motor, certain bodies only, etc" That way I'll make podium"

You're going to get schooled and dusted in VTA too. Leave the class alone. It's already a fun class to run without changing the standards.
One thing to remember is that the USVTA national rules are presided over by a benevolent dictator. He has, and continues to do, a stellar job. While it is interesting/entertaining at times to talk about "what ifs", things are only going to happen when he says so.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

At my local track, we have R1’s(some tuned, some stock), Motiv’s (mc3’s and 4’s), team screams, trinity (certified and not) and even hobbywings that all regularly take the make the podium. If I remember correctly, 2nd spot at the birds last year was a HW. Point being, the current crop of motors are pretty even across the board.

Additionally, some of those motors being run at my local track have a year or more of races on them. So what if they dropped maximum amount allowed for a motor. They bought 1 for a years worth of racing. That’s a pretty good bargain compared to what you needed to run in stock back in the brushed days. Cans, armatures, comm lathes, brushes, springs, break in voodoo boxes. Todays motors would be Ronnie Popeil approved. Just set it, and forget it.
NutDriver likes this.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by theproffesor
At my local track, we have R1’s(some tuned, some stock), Motiv’s (mc3’s and 4’s), team screams, trinity (certified and not) and even hobbywings that all regularly take the make the podium. If I remember correctly, 2nd spot at the birds last year was a HW. Point being, the current crop of motors are pretty even across the board.

Additionally, some of those motors being run at my local track have a year or more of races on them. So what if they dropped maximum amount allowed for a motor. They bought 1 for a years worth of racing. That’s a pretty good bargain compared to what you needed to run in stock back in the brushed days. Cans, armatures, comm lathes, brushes, springs, break in voodoo boxes. Todays motors would be Ronnie Popeil approved. Just set it, and forget it.
Well stated Professor.
NutDriver likes this.
Old 01-09-2022, 05:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor

for the record 2nd at the Birds last year was an R1 V16 , but you are correct there are alot of motor variations and everyone is fast with them, just like other classes, if it dont handle, it dont matter anyway
Old 01-09-2022, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cneyedog
for the record 2nd at the Birds last year was an R1 V16 , but you are correct there are alot of motor variations and everyone is fast with them, just like other classes, if it dont handle, it dont matter anyway

my apologies. Couple friends of mine that attended made mention of it. I may have heard incorrectly. But I do know there were HW’s running well and in 25.5 Amain.
dawgmeat likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.