Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 02:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Host Hotel...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay racers...here is some more information...

Sleep Inn Mgr has returned and gave me the info....

Rooms will be $49.99 per night, thats a double Queen or 1 King, your choice. And if need extra bed at no cost( I think its a roll-out, not sure)...When you call the hotel, tell them you are coming for the Southern Nationals...If not you will be charged regular rate $89.99...

Call in and reserve you room .....they will go fast...this hotel did a face-lft last year and Im happy that they are one of our sponsors again

HOST HOTEL,
http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-nashville-tennessee-TN464

Sleep Inn (TN464)
3200 Dickerson Pk., Nashville, TN, US, 37207
Phone: (615) 227-8686
Fax: (615) 227-8894

Sleep Inn, a Nashville Tennessee hotel near the Grand Ole Opry.
The Sleep Inn® hotel is ideally located with easy access to Interstate 65, just minutes from the Grand Ole Opry and the downtown area. This Nashville, TN hotel is convenient to the Sommet Center arena, LP Field, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, the Nashville Convention Center, Ryman Auditorium and the Tennessee State Capitol. The Nashville International Airport is only 10 miles away.

Local colleges and universities include:

•Vanderbilt University
•American Baptist College
•Belmont University
•Tennessee State University
Visitors will enjoy browsing the Opry Mills outlet mall and a wide variety of nearby specialty shops. There are several restaurants and cocktail lounges in the surrounding area, including the Wildhorse Saloon, featuring a full menu and live entertainment.

Guests are invited to take advantage of full-service features and amenities, including a free continental breakfast, free weekday newspaper and free local calls. There is also a seasonal outdoor pool located on the premises.

Business travelers will appreciate access to a copy machine and free fax service. This Nashville, TN hotel has a meeting room available to accommodate up to 50 people for most events and business functions.

All spacious guest rooms feature irons, ironing boards and cable television with free HBO. In addition to standard amenities, some rooms have microwaves and refrigerators. Non-smoking rooms are offered.

This pet-friendly hotel welcomes pets for a small stay fee; a refundable deposit is also required. Coin-operated laundry facilities are provided for guest convenience.

Whether traveling to the Nashville area for business or pleasure, stay at the Sleep Inn hotel and experience relaxing and affordable accommodations. We look forward to welcoming you.
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

I need help fellas. Im running vta at my local track and am getting smoked coming out of the corners and in the straight. Im running a 25.5 Ballistic and a GTB esc. My pinion is a 49 and my spur is an 80. These guys are killin me speed wise. Im not a great driver but at tha same time i dont run into tha walls or crash people all tha time either, just descent i guess. Any ideas on why my car is so down on speed????? Any suggestions????? Running a good 2s lipo recalibrated my esc to default and all my settings on my controller are at full blast and still no speed........Please help with a checklist of things yall think it might be......thanks
Old 07-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

What is your timing at
What car are you running
Or what is your FDR
Old 07-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JKyte5
I need help fellas. Im running vta at my local track and am getting smoked coming out of the corners and in the straight. Im running a 25.5 Ballistic and a GTB esc. My pinion is a 49 and my spur is an 80. These guys are killin me speed wise. Im not a great driver but at tha same time i dont run into tha walls or crash people all tha time either, just descent i guess. Any ideas on why my car is so down on speed????? Any suggestions????? Running a good 2s lipo recalibrated my esc to default and all my settings on my controller are at full blast and still no speed........Please help with a checklist of things yall think it might be......thanks

What kind of FDR are the others running. How big is your track. Do you have a long straight or tight infield. I would see what the others are running, and are they running the same car as you. Your FDR doesn't seem to far off at a 4.08. Is would start by checking if you have any binding in your drive train especially in both your gear diffs and in your wheel bearings. It could be that they are just carrying more speed into and out of the corners then you are. Corner speed is a huge key with VTA since we are down on the power vs. sedans or other faster TC type cars. If there is no binding the play with your gearing and drop a couple teeth on your pinion or add a couple to your spur to give you a little more low end punch out of the corners. I was having the same problem because I was geared too low and couldnt reach top speed on the straight fast enough.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
mail came....and ITS BLUE....testing starts this weekend....cross your fingers
Testing blue or blew?
Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
Testing blue or blew?
Just blue...and testing went really well...more testing Wed
Old 07-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Tech Addict

I don't have a BATTMAN issue. Do I?
Old 07-30-2012, 08:29 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Marv
printed, framed, on the wall...thanks...my cat likes it too..
Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

printed, framed, on the wall...thanks...my cat likes it too..
Totally non rc related....ever notice a cat can tell the difference between a can of tuna fish being opened and any other can gets ignored?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Hey Justin, one thing that I found out after one year of racing VTA at my local track is that you want your entire transmission (i.e. belt pulley, front and rear differentials, and your axle hubs or steering knuckles) to have the lowest amount of friction as possible. To test your car's transmission friction you can do the following steps:
  1. Take your motor completely out of the car.
  2. Turn your front wheels so they are pointing straight ahead.
  3. Hold the car in the air with one hand supporting the chassis in the center of the car.
  4. (Assuming that you have a spool or locked diff in the front) take the front tire that is closest to you and spin it as fast as you can with your other hand.
  5. Count how long it takes for all the tires to come to a complete stop.
  6. If your tires stop spinning before 1 second, then you may have too much transmission friction in your car. This means that the motor has to work much harder to get your car up to its top speed. It also means that your motor is probably running at a higher temperature as well.
There are several factors that can lower your car's transmission friction. First of all try loosening the front and rear belts slightly, this may get your tires to spin a little bit longer. Secondly, check all of your bearings. You should make sure there is no dirt inside your bearings and when you spin each bearing, it should make no "squeaky" or grinding noises. In a VTA race, where everybody has the same motor power, tire traction, body aerodynamics, and overall car weight, the little things like transmission friction and condition of your bearings can make a big difference.

There is also the factor of your car's setup, but that's a whole other "can-of-worms" that I can't even scratch the surface on. When it comes to setting up a car, I go looking for advice from other racers with a similar car chassis as my own. Every now and then I can find a veteran racer who is willing to take my car and give it a "make over" to make sure that all the springs are set correctly and my ride height is where it needs to be.

Last edited by wwddww34; 07-30-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

From you signature, I take it you are running an Associated TC3. The TC3 has a transmission ratio of 2.5 to one. With a 49 tooth pinion and an 80 tooth spur, you are running a 4.082 FDR. Check the timing on your ballistic motor. Look for the timing sticker on the end bell. It should be somewhere between the middle line and the last plus line. This translates to 30° to 45° of timing. Check for failed/binding bearings/gears in the drive train. Check your pinion/spur gear mesh. Make sure your differential bearings are in good shape and check to make sure your differential gear mesh is correct. Also tear down the gear differentials and check the ball diffs. You want the rear ball diff pretty free but not slipping at all. You want the front differential tight almost to the point of binding. Also if you have a way to lock the front ball differential (think spool) it will really make the car pull hard and increase your steering coming out of corners. I prefer running a very tight ball diff or gear diff with 100K fluid and a rear gear diff with 700 CST oil or a ball diff adjusted to factory spec. Just something to soften it up just a little coming out of the corner. HTH

Last edited by GP40X; 07-30-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by GP40X
From you signature, I take it you are running an Associated TC3. The TC3 has a transmission ratio of 2.5 to one. With a 49 tooth pinion and an 80 tooth spur, you are running a 4.082 FDR. Check the timing on your ballistic motor. Look for the timing sticker on the end bell. It should be somewhere between the middle line and the last plus line. This translates to 30° to 45° of timing. Check for failed/binding bearings/gears in the drive train. Check your pinion/spur gear mesh. Make sure your differential bearings are in good shape and check to make sure your differential gear mesh is correct. HTH
Oh, now I see that your driving a Team Associated TC3. It is very tough to get your FDR (or Final Drive Ratio) to be less than 4.0 on a TC3, and it's more than likely that the guys who are flying by you on the track are running FDR's on the order of 3.6 to 3.8.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Oh, now I see that your driving a Team Associated TC3. It is very tough to get your FDR (or Final Drive Ratio) to be less than 4.0 on a TC3, and it's more than likely that the guys who are flying by you on the track are running FDR's on the order of 3.6 to 3.8.
Sharpie, Randy flies by you all the time and he is running a 4.04 FDR "ZING" (sorry bro couldn't resist). Missed you at the Carpet Shootout Series Race Sunday (hey more points for me ). I am trying to make the Austin on road series race too. See you soon bro.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
76 tooth spur / 52 tooth pinion gets you a 3.65 FDR. The only modification you possibly have to make (not sure its been so long) is to take down the chassis webbing directly beneath the pinion if it rubs or binds.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by beemerfan
76 tooth spur / 52 tooth pinion gets you a 3.65 FDR. The only modification you possibly have to make (not sure its been so long) is to take down the chassis webbing directly beneath the pinion if it rubs or binds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.