Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
Wasn't the class made after HPI made all the vintage muscle cars, wheels and tires?
Please stop trying to change VTA.. It is just fine the way it is. We do not need GT or TC bodies, we do not need a spec motor, and we already have a spec tire even though its performance sometimes is questionable.
DARKSIDE likes this.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jammin684
Please stop trying to change VTA.. It is just fine the way it is. We do not need GT or TC bodies, we do not need a spec motor, and we already have a spec tire even though its performance sometimes is questionable.
Sorry mreet2001 . Used wrong quote.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Raman
LOL ... I’m guessing you don’t teach semantics.. a single Novak Spec Motor doesn’t equate to Roar approved motors.

The X Factor Certified Plus is significantly quicker than the standard and 5%.

I for one am surprised that USGT went to Spec motor first. I think it would have made more sense in VTA.

At the end of the day, we all have spent $ on our motors.. but I think it would make for tighter racing.
Novak was the motor the, now we run ROAR motors...was saying the 2 are the same speed or spec...its we have a motor rule.... and If you see a 25.5 motor way faster, then you need to dig deeper... cause several things can come into play...I promise Ive done more 25.5 motor testing than 99% of anybody on here or anywhere...and the biggest difference is NOT speed...build quality, FDR, battery, timing, drivetrain, driver, traction, age of motor, ect…. ,racers must understand that no matter what we spec....its always going to be something that will still make them different, with different results....as long as the motor is legal and passes true tech...that's all that matters....

FYI, incase anybody wondering, Im a 99% consistency driver with most of my testing on a large carpet track with Ultra High Traction.... running AE/Cars and Reedy servo,esc,and battery...
Old 02-09-2020, 04:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RAL
I don't mean to change direction but wanted to propose an idea and see what the thoughts are... I'd like to see VTA be expanded to just "Vintage Touring" period. To include all bodies of cars pre a certain production date. If you're into the American muscle cars you can race that, if you're into exotics you can race old 911 Porsche, Alfa Romeo GTV whatever is out there. There are so many cool bodies from Tamiya and others that have no way to make it to the track via a class and it really is a shame. VTA tires and classic looking bodies would be really cool. The class would have a bit of rejuvenation with an added flavor not to mention more global appeal. If we are going to help keep all these companies in business, we need to start thinking of ways to make racing more inclusive globally and to larger audiences of potential racers. A broader appeal. We're all car enthusiasts, which is why we enjoy this hobby and these scale centric classes. It would be a great way to spice things up and create interest across the pond. Protoform, HPI and Tamiya would certainly appreciate as would plenty of car fans who want to race that shelf queen. Right now a Datusn 510, Porsche 911, Alfa GTV, Ford GT40 etc have no class they could race in!!! Some of the most ICONIC RACE CARS EVER!!! How strange is that? While they could be included in USGT lets be realistic and realize the body shapes would be at a massive disadvantage compared to the current landscape of offerings. I think in a rebooted VTA class is where they should be. It just seems to make so much sense. I'm as Team America as it gets, but there's so many cool body options out there and potential for more. We need to realize that not everyone wants to race a "shoe box with windows" and try to overcome its handling shortcomings as a hobby.

Then we need to use the GT platform and make it back to what it used to be not change a class that continues to grow in many parts and make it more complicated. My opinion. Like 25.5 TC should not be. We create separation in classes and that will create more classes for a while but typically smaller fields that lends to people leaving. My two cents
Old 02-09-2020, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Novak was the motor the, now we run ROAR motors...was saying the 2 are the same speed or spec...its we have a motor rule.... and If you see a 25.5 motor way faster, then you need to dig deeper... cause several things can come into play...I promise Ive done more 25.5 motor testing than 99% of anybody on here or anywhere...and the biggest difference is NOT speed...build quality, FDR, battery, timing, drivetrain, driver, traction, age of motor, ect…. ,racers must understand that no matter what we spec....its always going to be something that will still make them different, with different results....as long as the motor is legal and passes true tech...that's all that matters....

FYI, incase anybody wondering, Im a 99% consistency driver with most of my testing on a large carpet track with Ultra High Traction.... running AE/Cars and Reedy servo,esc,and battery...
So you are saying the motor does not matter? You're telling me that you can run exactly the same lap times with an old Novak and with a new Trinity 1% or an R1? I call BS. I'll sit down and wait for your answer.
mrreet2001 likes this.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Scostin
Then we need to use the GT platform and make it back to what it used to be not change a class that continues to grow in many parts and make it more complicated. My opinion. Like 25.5 TC should not be. We create separation in classes and that will create more classes for a while but typically smaller fields that lends to people leaving. My two cents
Yep a Vintage Euro Class could be started or call it Vintage GT. Just leave the USVTA alone.
Buckaroo likes this.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Motor makes a huge difference. Our local track is gaining interest in VTA right now, and my son is the fastest there tight now. He runs a Team Magic chassis, and a Motiv 25.5, original, not a MC2 or MC3, and the next fastest guy last weekend was in a XRAY T4 with original Novak 25.5 Boss and it was very evident on the track that the Motiv was way way faster.

And Sean is a very fast experienced driver!
Old 02-09-2020, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mocrawlin
Motor makes a huge difference. Our local track is gaining interest in VTA right now, and my son is the fastest there tight now. He runs a Team Magic chassis, and a Motiv 25.5, original, not a MC2 or MC3, and the next fastest guy last weekend was in a XRAY T4 with original Novak 25.5 Boss and it was very evident on the track that the Motiv was way way faster.

And Sean is a very fast experienced driver!
I think with the technology of today the newer motors may be more refined that the older motors. However I do not discount that experienced drivers at other tracks could give those running the latest and greatest motors a run for their money.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yeah, I have to say that I have seen a difference with various motors based on the 3 or 4 that I've run over the past 3 years in the VTA class. I've ran a Motiv, Trinity, Tekin and Muchmore ...the Motiv was by far the fastest, w/ the Trinity right behind. However I know 2 racers that have the Trinity Certified Plus version and their motors are faster. I also notice that a lot of the brand's sites offer various rotors that say they are all ROAR legit, ....so if people are swapping rotors that is going to make a difference too. Motors do make a difference from everything I've seen and my experience using various ones.

What I am curious about is what people are doing to their motors, ...bearing replacement, rotors, etc...the area of what is legal and what isn't is a very gray one it seems.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE

I understand what you’re saying about build quality. The problem is that there is not a measurable index for it. I am 99.9% confident that my build has a very efficient drive line and my car is super competitive, my set up is spot on.

What I can confirm is this:

Myself and 3 other VTA drivers have watched a person whom we had significant advantage become untouchable because of the X factor certified plus.

In my opinion, motor is a HUGE factor. The X Factor Certified Plus makes a huge difference. The optional 25.5 roar approved rotor makes even a larger difference.

When Novak was in play, we didn’t have these variations to deal with
eR1c likes this.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

Yep, that's PRECISELY what I've seen on my little motor checker that people keep poo-pooing. The Motives are strong as heck, but the X Factor Cert + is neigh untouchable. A brand new, out of the box top of the line Novak 25.5, at this point, is at least an order of magnitude behind in terms of torque and speed with the current crop of top line 25.5s, dyno #s or from what I've seen on the track, with Reedy and Tekins back-to-middle of the pack (average). The Reedys seem to have reliability issues, though, not sure about the Tekins or others. $100 is a lot of coin to drop on a hope to get a decent one, never mind one that lasts.

For $100ish, you get an good-ish, average strong -ish motor. For a little more, you get a great motor, for a LOT more, you get an untouchable one. Tell me again where there's no motor war, at least at the local level?
eR1c likes this.

Last edited by Buckaroo; 02-09-2020 at 04:34 PM. Reason: clarification of my thoughts
Old 02-09-2020, 05:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mooby64
Don't get too hung up on the motor wars. Word on the street is a spec VTA motor is in the works.
Missed this earlier. Care to share any of said "word"?
Old 02-09-2020, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
Missed this earlier. Care to share any of said "word"?
I was told this from Rob King. Enough said??
Nerobro likes this.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mooby64
I was told this from Rob King. Enough said??
Enough to keep me from buying anything new to replace the junk Reedy of mine that just died. Got a line on a Motiv, gently used, but more than strong enough to keep me going for a while.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jammin684
Yep a Vintage Euro Class could be started or call it Vintage GT. Just leave the USVTA alone.
What he is proposing is simply to allow European and Japanese bodies in VTA, as it was in real life back in the 70s. It doesn’t change the class.

At 702RCRaceway we allow Euro and Japanese bodies in VTA. No one is crying foul or claiming the class has been ruined or messed with.

Additionally there are not a lot of European / Japanese body options to begin with. Tamiya literally has 1 pre 1980s body that applies; the Porsche 911 RSR.

ABC Hobby had 1/10 Japanese VTA bodies from Datsun / Toyota, but good luck finding them. Killerbody also has Datsun and Alfa’s from 60s/70s again no distribution.
NutDriver and DirkW like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.