Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 11:29 AM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowdoughracer
I completely understand that it's racing, and I'm all for trying to find as much speed in both the car and your own driving. But I see this as a beginner/novice class in most of the tracks around me, so I feel like things need to be done in order to make it competitive for everyone, but sustainable for new racers. On road is definitely having a harder time in my area compared to off road.
I started in this class and as far as being a "beginner/novice class" I'd have to disagree with that. It may be 'though of' as a good beginner or novice class but I don't think it is. If you read through this thread most I think agree that it isn't since the fastest/most skilled/veteran racers race in it and many of them with high dollar chassis and equipment.

I have been preaching this since before I even bought one for myself! The best novice class would be a Traxxas 4-tec 2.0 Novice class. $180 RTR for kit with radio, tires, and no body. I'd suggest a slower motor (15T maybe for $~25) and upgraded c-hubs (~$25.) Then - NO CHANGES ALLOWED! Paint an easter egg one color body ($35.) Go racing and learn to drive and to love it along the way. With the addition of the aluminum c-hubs the 4-Tec is very durable. It's fast enough to be exciting for newbs and handles more than well enough to develop some driving skills. The next level could be an advanced Novice class with more open rules like swaybars, spring changes, chassis hop ups, tires, or radio upgrades. Here you develop tuning skills.

Nobody is going to convince the powers that be to make any changes to VTA, it's too well established already. Hell, people are racing for money in VTA these days! Gotta try something else.
vivo quevas and NutDriver like this.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Our club is considering this class for our novice and intermediate racers
JC3 likes this.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JC3
I started in this class and as far as being a "beginner/novice class" I'd have to disagree with that. It may be 'though of' as a good beginner or novice class but I don't think it is. If you read through this thread most I think agree that it isn't since the fastest/most skilled/veteran racers race in it and many of them with high dollar chassis and equipment.

I have been preaching this since before I even bought one for myself! The best novice class would be a Traxxas 4-tec 2.0 Novice class. $180 RTR for kit with radio, tires, and no body. I'd suggest a slower motor (15T maybe for $~25) and upgraded c-hubs (~$25.) Then - NO CHANGES ALLOWED! Paint an easter egg one color body ($35.) Go racing and learn to drive and to love it along the way. With the addition of the aluminum c-hubs the 4-Tec is very durable. It's fast enough to be exciting for newbs and handles more than well enough to develop some driving skills. The next level could be an advanced Novice class with more open rules like swaybars, spring changes, chassis hop ups, tires, or radio upgrades. Here you develop tuning skills.

Nobody is going to convince the powers that be to make any changes to VTA, it's too well established already. Hell, people are racing for money in VTA these days! Gotta try something else.
I understand. That makes sense to me. I could see the Traxxas class being a good one for novices. Most people don't see Traxxas as being a competitive race chassis, but the parts support and durability have already shown the brand to be plenty good for a novice class. The slash has done wonders on the dirt side. Will VTA ever work its way back into the Snowbirds as opposed to 25.5 TC that started running the last few events? Are other big events going to be going away from VTA, or will it continue to dominate that segment?
Old 07-18-2018, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The problem that bugs me is when people don't want to follow the rules, and race directors do not enforce tech. No numbers on the body..... I'll let that slide for a "club" race. Everything else needs to be followed to keep the competition fair. Unfortunately, I don't think everybody is playing fair and you have to run tech or risk loosing racers.
RoyB, Lone Drifter and ImacFanatic like this.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JC3

there have been a few that this idea could have worked with. The 4Tec being the most recent. Coming up with the idea and basic rules is relatively easy. It’s getting people involved that the hard part. I’ve got a pretty good idea as to how many 4Tec and v100 my local store has sold in past year. We are open to them racing, if they show we will have them. But can’t get them to show up.
angrymelon likes this.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by belewis01
The problem that bugs me is when people don't want to follow the rules, and race directors do not enforce tech. No numbers on the body..... I'll let that slide for a "club" race. Everything else needs to be followed to keep the competition fair. Unfortunately, I don't think everybody is playing fair and you have to run tech or risk loosing racers.
I think this is a big point. At the track I started carpet oval racing at a long time ago we had a strict tech program even for weekly club races. It taught me a lot about adhering to the rules and making sure my car was legal in time to make the race. It also prepped me for what I would experience at any big level event. All of that helped me feel more comfortable and more confident that I was on the same level with the other racers and if I got beat, it was because of something that I could improve on. I think you can run a tight tech program while still keeping it fun and relaxed for everyone trying to race.
NutDriver, Lone Drifter and JC3 like this.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:43 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I think this is a big point. At the track I started carpet oval racing at a long time ago we had a strict tech program even for weekly club races. It taught me a lot about adhering to the rules and making sure my car was legal in time to make the race. It also prepped me for what I would experience at any big level event. All of that helped me feel more comfortable and more confident that I was on the same level with the other racers and if I got beat, it was because of something that I could improve on. I think you can run a tight tech program while still keeping it fun and relaxed for everyone trying to race.
100% agree and I couldn't have said it better!
NutDriver likes this.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Strict tech and then just let the fast guys be fast and they can also help everyone else.
Sort the heats to begin with cuz it's already known who the fast guys are, let em mix it up, and mid packers run together etc..
iTz Nicholas72 likes this.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Strict tech and then just let the fast guys be fast and they can also help everyone else.
Sort the heats to begin with cuz it's already known who the fast guys are, let em mix it up, and mid packers run together etc..
What do you think about sorting heats by a 3 lap practice average to start the day out? Does that help put everyone where they belong at quickly?
Old 07-19-2018, 07:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

If you have enough staff/racers to run a good tech program at the weekly race I think its great. But I'm also not so worried if someone is a few grams light on Saturday afternoon. If someone has to win so bad at a regular club race that they're going to cheat on speedo settings well that's just sad.

As far as pre-seeding heats at a club race I don't like it. You get faster by running with faster drivers. I think its fine and necessary at big events but not at club races. Guys need to learn to race with each other and race directors have to stay on top of traffic and help the racers out.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:02 PM
Tech Champion

What do you think about sorting heats by a 3 lap practice average to start the day out? Does that help put everyone where they belong at quickly?
Thru experimenting with the F1s in the UF1 seasons, which are starting up again, we've found that a 2 minute qualifier gives enough time to get a good shot at getting your 5 best laps, non consecutive, which are already set up to show in most race computers these days.
You can wait for clear track before tripping the counter and click off laps one at a time and arent lost if you get a bad one. usually allows you enough time to get 8 to 10 laps in 2 minutes on our 11 to 15 second per lap layouts onroad asphalt and carpet. Offroad laps more in the low to mid 20 second laps, 3 minute qualifiers perhaps?
Tried to do the 3 consecutive laps, you know, consistency and all that but time runs out, i.e. you get 2 great laps, something happens and you don't have time to start counting from 1 again then your shot at qualifying for the day is done.
It's just what we've found to be best and very, very reliable in setting up the mains.
If you still qualify poorly for some reason but do have the pace, you get to win from the B or even C mains if you are the quickest for the round.
1 quick qualifier and 2 longer or even 3 regular 5 to 6 minute mains.
UF1 is triple mains, A,B,C... and are 15 minute mains.
F1 takes the track for the whole program.
We have tech and pretty honest racers, believe it or not
Originally Posted by mikel33
If you have enough staff/racers to run a good tech program at the weekly race I think its great. But I'm also not so worried if someone is a few grams light on Saturday afternoon. If someone has to win so bad at a regular club race that they're going to cheat on speedo settings well that's just sad.

As far as pre-seeding heats at a club race I don't like it. You get faster by running with faster drivers. I think its fine and necessary at big events but not at club races. Guys need to learn to race with each other and race directors have to stay on top of traffic and help the racers out.
If the majority likes to mix it up and let the qualifiers sort em out, that's cool too, just let the slower guys complain when they get smoked and the quick guys complain about squids doin donuts.
Cheatin ain't gonna get an average guy beatin a for real fast guy
But anyone else agree that it's gettin time to get away from qualifying all day just to have 1 shot at trying to have 1 good main at the end of the day?
Chances are good that the start of that single main you qualified all day for, to get a couple foot gap on the grid is gonna be a cluster and only a few will have a good main?
My thoughts lean toward less qualifying and more racing.
Just sayin
Old 07-20-2018, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

I agree with those thoughts. I'd like a couple of shots at qualifying to improve on any mistakes, but I love multiple mains and points style. They do say that VTA is supposed to experiment with different formats and starts. Make enjoyable for everyone while still competitive.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:34 AM
Tech Champion

I agree with those thoughts. I'd like a couple of shots at qualifying to improve on any mistakes, but I love multiple mains and points style. They do say that VTA is supposed to experiment with different formats and starts. Make enjoyable for everyone while still competitive.
Our offroad track here, OCRC in Huntington Beach Ca is now running two 4 minute qualifiers and one 7 minute main, instead of 2x5 min qual and 1x5 min main.
Gives the extra 2 minutes to the main to help make up for getting it wrong at the start, regardless of whose fault lol.
They actually tried a motocross format since it is dirt after all,
1 five minute open loop qualifier in order to get 5 best non consecutive laps then two 5 minute motos/mains with the second main being the tie breaker like outdoor motocross.
This should have worked but there were a few that didn't catch on to the qualifier open loop idea and just drove their asses off, mixed it up in traffic and raced it like heads up and that kept messing up the whole plan so back to the 40 year old format of 2 quals and 1 main.
It was cool tho and not forgotten, just need to have it explained better and get all on board.
Someday maybe again
NutDriver likes this.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

When I ran VTA at a local track before they did Reedy race format with random sort for the first round. There was no qualifying involved and one round would be dropped. I didn't mind that format at all, and a lot of the recreational racers loved it because they could race each other every round for something. I was using the event as a prep for a larger event, so it wasn't my favorite format, but for weekly club races I liked the idea as a way to mix it up.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

When I ran VTA at a local track before they did Reedy race format with random sort for the first round. There was no qualifying involved and one round would be dropped. I didn't mind that format at all, and a lot of the recreational racers loved it because they could race each other every round for something. I was using the event as a prep for a larger event, so it wasn't my favorite format, but for weekly club races I liked the idea as a way to mix it up.
I think its great to mix it up once in a while with different formats for club racing. Its something we've done at the places I race at. I especially like a reedy style if you have enough folks to do it. Whatever it takes to keep it interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.