Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 07:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Club race at Apex 20 plus VTA cars...
Amain
1st Xray 2017
2nd Tc7
3rd Tc4
4th serpent 311
5th tc7.1
6th Xray 2018
7th Xray 2016
8th Hoboa
9th Tc6
10th Tc7.1

B and C main had these
Hoboa
Tc6.2
Tc5
Tc6.1
09 Xray
tc5
tamiya
Not one Schumacher
Old 06-27-2018, 08:29 PM
Tech Champion

Sorry... none of our locals run it... but plenty of others
Old 06-27-2018, 08:34 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ImacFanatic
Not one Schumacher
You need to go down there and represent!
Old 06-27-2018, 09:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JC3
You need to go down there and represent!
we would welcome you with open door to DOOR RACING!!!!!!!!…

ImacFanatic likes this.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:08 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ImacFanatic
Not one Schumacher
I don't own the 6 or the 6evo, though I'm thinking about the 6 evo. I just cannot get the 5evo to run on carpet. The Mi5 wasn't bad on gray carpet but the 5evo generates too much grip, especially on the black carpet in my experience. Great outdoors - nothing I'd rather use. However, I did just experiment and configure my 5evo to a mid-motor for some VTA oval action on black carpet and the car was a rocket, even with just a carbon chassis. It was a tenth to two tenths faster that my 7.1. The motor weight being moved up further on the left front made some difference for sure. But that same car on the road course was complete junk. LOL.
qcrc and ImacFanatic like this.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:26 AM
Tech Adept

we would welcome you with open door to DOOR RACING!!!!!!!!…
ill get back there ine day for a National i swear, its on my bucket list
JC3 likes this.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:44 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

you might have a point, but to say this is okay and this isnt is a long list of whatever... tire warmers for outdoors is normal for any outdoor asphalt racing in any class...its a tool. Just like good wrenches or setup stations or charhers ect...you then can get wrapped up in chassis...and we have at times. Its hard to say what should or shouldnt....hopefully the new guys will get the correct info from the fast guys and they will know to take baby steps....

and also, most of the stuff we see as a waste at the time, some see as Ill need it sooner or later....

but VTA isnt whats wrong with onroad RC racing by far... its racers who dont do their part
Allow me to talk about why this matters so much and about a veteran that is doing his part big time.

My driving hasn't improved much over the past 6 months. I could occasionally turn a lap as fast as one of the top five guys but I was super inconsistent. I always had the feeling that my car just didn't turn well and never could figure out why. I pride myself on my car prep and work hard to do things right.

Tonight I pitted next to Marc Livermore over at Access Hobbies. Although I never asked for help, Marc saw me and OFFERED his help. He drove my car about 10 feet and immediately knew what was wrong and helped me fix it. The car was transformed and I turned some of the most consistent laps I've ever run. It was an amazing experience.

Marc showed me the proper way to setup the steering and though I do a lot of homework, I never saw anything like what Marc showed me. Throughout the night he took time out to coach me on driving and encouraged me to try different setups, helping me when I got stuck.

Throughout the course of the night he helped numerous people with their cars and answered a constant onslaught of questions. I can't tell you how impressed I was with what he was doing. I thanked him profusely and told him I'd be writing this. Marcs help took me to a new place in RC racing. I'm more encouraged and confident than ever thanks to his help.

So, veteran racers if you see a newb struggling with consistency please help them out. I can tell you from experience it makes a huge difference. Thanks Marc!
Old 06-29-2018, 04:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JC3
Allow me to talk about why this matters so much and about a veteran that is doing his part big time.

My driving hasn't improved much over the past 6 months. I could occasionally turn a lap as fast as one of the top five guys but I was super inconsistent. I always had the feeling that my car just didn't turn well and never could figure out why. I pride myself on my car prep and work hard to do things right.

Tonight I pitted next to Marc Livermore over at Access Hobbies. Although I never asked for help, Marc saw me and OFFERED his help. He drove my car about 10 feet and immediately knew what was wrong and helped me fix it. The car was transformed and I turned some of the most consistent laps I've ever run. It was an amazing experience.

Marc showed me the proper way to setup the steering and though I do a lot of homework, I never saw anything like what Marc showed me. Throughout the night he took time out to coach me on driving and encouraged me to try different setups, helping me when I got stuck.

Throughout the course of the night he helped numerous people with their cars and answered a constant onslaught of questions. I can't tell you how impressed I was with what he was doing. I thanked him profusely and told him I'd be writing this. Marcs help took me to a new place in RC racing. I'm more encouraged and confident than ever thanks to his help.

So, veteran racers if you see a newb struggling with consistency please help them out. I can tell you from experience it makes a huge difference. Thanks Marc!
once again BOOOYAH!!!!!!
scirocco14 likes this.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Congrats on your Win Again Darkside.... Time for the others to pickup their game....lol....
Old 06-29-2018, 08:27 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ASM
I don't own the 6 or the 6evo, though I'm thinking about the 6 evo. I just cannot get the 5evo to run on carpet. The Mi5 wasn't bad on gray carpet but the 5evo generates too much grip, especially on the black carpet in my experience. Great outdoors - nothing I'd rather use. However, I did just experiment and configure my 5evo to a mid-motor for some VTA oval action on black carpet and the car was a rocket, even with just a carbon chassis. It was a tenth to two tenths faster that my 7.1. The motor weight being moved up further on the left front made some difference for sure. But that same car on the road course was complete junk. LOL.
that's what ive heard about the mid motor mod, not for asphalt, i have noticed with the mi6 evo the grip is insane, the car is all about traction, the steering suffers minimally but worth the extra time to set up around it, shims on shims off etc. Been a happy camper since switching from AE to all Schue.
and parts from the UK ( which seems to be the issue with most against the brand ) has been a non issue, i received parts from door to door in 8 days.
Now i only wonder when there will be an Mi7
qcrc likes this.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
Congrats on your Win Again Darkside.... Time for the others to pickup their game....lol....
thank you... it was anybody race. And that's what made it so fun
Old 06-29-2018, 10:45 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
We were glad to have Myron come down and race with us. He pulled out his best game on Sunday and took the TQ from Rich in the LCQ and then won the main. Both Rich and Dave really made Myron work hard and it was fun to watch....from 5th place lol. We were just glad to have both Myron and JustWill75 make it down for the race. Will commented that he had never worked so hard to put a car in the A-Main but he got it in and looked to be having a great time. Having 386 Raceway here for us has been a blessing along with Chris Crowder's support of this and the other spec classes that he also promotes. He runs race days specifically dedicated to multiple spec classes. Normal touring classes are not run on those days. Previously, getting on carpet for us in FL only happened just a very few times a year. That made it real tough to go out of state and race against carpet regulars for the most part.

Several months ago, we had very few VTA cars, and now the count is slowly picking up. I see it only getting better
qcrc, DARKSIDE and JC3 like this.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

understandable but they are not must haves... for outside a set of tire warmers imo is needed.

motorlyser dischargers and setup station not needed.

fresh batteries are always going to come into play depending on how much you race and how you treat your stuff.

motors for vta as long as they havent been hot... you should be fine. My motor is from 2016 Nats And I just won with it in 2018 this past weekend in Florida.

you have to work your budget and see if the new shiny is worth the translation on the track.

my setup this weekend
I see pretty much everything I need in your pit, Good charger , setup tools, Discharger, TC7.1 ,Motorlyser probably in the track bag, tire warmers not useful for VTA on Blak carpet..
I could show you a picture of my pits but its based on a budget that you could buy day old donuts and Blatz beer with
Hey did you buy that motor spray in the blue can simply to match all your other stuff?

Last edited by Lone Drifter; 06-29-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
I see pretty much everything I need in your pit, Good charger , setup tools, Discharger, TC7.1 ,Motorlyser probably in the track bag, tire warmers not useful for VTA on Blak carpet..
I could show you a picture of my pits but its based on a budget that you could buy day old donuts and Blatz beer with
Hey did you buy that motor spray in the blue can simply to match all your other stuff?
post a pic...and mind you most of this Ive had for awhile, setup station, charger ect...the newest thing is the Gforce discharger cause my Reedy only does like 5 amp or less...which takes forever to store your packs. No motorlyser needed or tire warmers...I run indoors 99% of the time....

but even there once you get your VTA setup...you can save and get the other stuff you might think you need...but the setup will not change unless you change it...same motor, same battery, same servo, same esc same chassis...I do run different bodies to be different... but I dont need to buy anything for VTA...so that frees up cash for setup station tirewarmers ect...if you want those things

JC3 likes this.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:14 PM
Tech Champion

Lots of dollar bills there... Where are all the $100 bills saved from choosing AE over....lol ??? Great pit arrangement... Did anyone run a tc4 ???
My pit is always messy...lol...

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 06-29-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.