Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by john holmes 69
is this happening with all softeners or just certain ones?
I had this happen to a set using only SXT 3.0.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:48 AM
Tech Master

My raceday at Timwarp RC track yesterday, gave me some insite into these tires .

1, I had season run tires on Black carpet to use , my car was hooked up the only setup changes I made over last year was ride height chages due to the balooning of the tires compared to the HPI tires. When you have thae broken in black carpet tire the wear pattern is kind of a shiny glaze look with little actual visible tread wear.
The PF tires after one raceday had that glazed look worn off , now they have a flat black look and have a noticable wear to them . My estimation for how long these tires may last is 4-5 racedays.
2. One of the racer I race with at Windy City was there he had a set that had 2 or 3 carpet racedays on them he didnt have many problems with them either He was First all day , I was second all day behind him on the same lap except for the second qualifier where I lost a wheel.
3.One of the Local Timwarp racers who did some carpet with us at Windy 1-2 run tires on carpet needed setup changes , More Rear toe in , softer rear springs we were battling bettween 2-3rd all day.
4. A racer that I race with at windy who had Green newer tires needed to make setup changes was a lap down from first and second in the qualifiers and main , He could not push his car as he normally could , He would normally be as fast or faster then me .
5 , a couple of newer onroad local racers ( but with a lot of offroad knowledge) were quite a bit slower I lapped them multiple times in the race , Both of them had Green new PF tires one of them was better setup had a Xray T4 17 , The other has a Tc6.1 worlds car ( I was running Tc6) Had not changed his setup from last year and HPI tires was Puhing AND Loose at the same time , I helped him with changes went to 3 degree rear toe (from 1) Used green rear springs (from silver) went to 2 degree rear camber, 2 degree front toe out (from 0) 2 degree front camber . By the time of the Mains his car was drivable but not competitive, It should get better when the tires get better.

Moral of the story for me , Have broken In PF tires or your first raceday or it will be miserable.
Car set up My setup from last year with Season long carpet tires was on Rails, If I had new PF tire I would have had to do the changes in step 5 and as the tires come in revert to my older setup ,
I have two sets used all season on carpet , one I trying to break in for carpet and I better buy to 2 sets and start breaking them in NOW!
mariob62 and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 05-06-2018, 05:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Got to test the Protoform Tires on a prepared surface.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

It just looks like... wait for it... you had to slow down to turn the car.

The horror, the horror. How will we ever survive?

seriously though, the run looks good to me.
Joe Maxey likes this.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Got to test the Protoform Tires on a prepared surface.

https://youtu.be/wgGZt3APgUY

Looks good! What size track is that & what did they prep the track with?

Last edited by Joe Maxey; 05-06-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Joe Maxey
Looks good! What size track is that & what did they prep the trak with?
Orange or grape soda seems to be their choice. Track layout changes every couple races. Area is roughly 100x40. I measured a lap at 278 feet. Straight was 60 feet from the timing line to first turn.

VTA isn’t a class we currently run. But they’d run if others showed interest. Next time hopefully Lone Drifter will be there. At we can get a practice run in.

Joe Maxey and JC3 like this.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just started in VTA, I have about 2 practice days and 3 full race days so far.
My car is setup pretty good, my PF tires are definitely getting better and better. First race they were like skating on glass (LOL).

I am running a Tekin Gen 3 25.5 motor. I am having a hard time getting power out of this motor. I am running 3.95 FDR, but that is as low as I can go and my timing is turned down pretty low to run that FDR...otherwise the motor starts cogging a bit. With this FDR I am about the same speed as about 1/2 the other racers on the straights but about 1/2 the field is still faster on the same straights and I am definitely lacking power coming out of turns compared to the entire pack of racers. When I gear lower my motor seems to like it, at around 4.2 is my motors sweet spot, yet its too slooooow. I've done some reading about the Tekin Gen 3 25.5 motor and others have expressed that they couldn't get the RPM's out of it they wanted. I have tried two ESC's ...w/ the same results (plus both my ESC's I have run for years in my TC car w/ great success, never had cogging issues, etc). I have tried 3 different battery packs (2 are brand new) ...all w/ the same results (those same batteries are running my TC awesomely). So I think this really comes down to my motor and/or it not liking a competitive gearing option? Overall my car just seems a bit anemic and lacking punch. Unfortunately I don't have another 25.5 to test yet I know RC cars pretty well and am pretty convinced that this motor is asleep.

Question:
1) Is anyone else running or have run the Tekin Gen3 25.5 ...what was your experience?
2) Is there any consensus on a preferred 25.5 VTA motor?

by the way, I am running a 21.5 Tekin Gen 3 in my Tamiya Mini (our class allows open 21.5 motors), and it is a beast of a motor, ...It has a lot of high end RPM and torque ...just a GREAT motor. hence why I went w/ the Tekin again for VTA.

thanks,
eR1c.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Don't know anything about the Tekin motor, but that gearing seems really low, most of our locals are about 3.3 or higher. Most current VTA motors are pretty close, the Reedy is popular here, with R1 and Team Scream starting to show up more often.

FYI, I'm running about 45 degrees timing on my Reedy, 3.3 FDR, Team Powers V3 speed control, SMC 6000 mah battery
Old 05-09-2018, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

That's where I need to get, ....my Tekin can't go lower than about 3.6 and that's w/ timing turned way down to about 25 degrees.
There is no way i'll be able to get to 3.3 w/ my current setup, -but that is really helpful. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2018, 12:18 PM
Bri
Tech Regular

Did you try the motor with higher timing? Motor timing is more about adjusting it to get the maximum available power and then adjust the gear ratio so the motor temps are in a safe range. It could be that when you turned the motor timing down, that you lost too much power which is then having you run a gear ratio that is off the pace of the fast guys.

Best regards,
Brian
Old 05-09-2018, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Did you try the motor with higher timing? Motor timing is more about adjusting it to get the maximum available power and then adjust the gear ratio so the motor temps are in a safe range. It could be that when you turned the motor timing down, that you lost too much power which is then having you run a gear ratio that is off the pace of the fast guys.

Best regards,
Brian
Interesting, I am going to give what your suggesting a try. Hopefully its just a matter of getting my gear ratio and timing in sync ...would like to save some $$$.
Appreciate the help, I hope to test this out tomorrow ..I have a tad bit of time ...otherwise its mother's day this weekend which means no racing/track time. Wife already said so.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Bri
Tech Regular

VTA is an underpowered class with a 25.5 so really the only option that you have is to set the timing for maximum power, then gear accordingly. At some point, you should consider getting a SkyRC BMA-01 Brushless Motor Analyzer. This way you can get a more accurate timing reading and be able to compare different motors.

Best regards,
Brian

Last edited by Bri; 05-09-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Bri,

I have access a motor analyzer, -will have to test mine out asap.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by belewis01
Don't know anything about the Tekin motor, but that gearing seems really low, most of our locals are about 3.3 or higher. Most current VTA motors are pretty close, the Reedy is popular here, with R1 and Team Scream starting to show up more often.

FYI, I'm running about 45 degrees timing on my Reedy, 3.3 FDR, Team Powers V3 speed control, SMC 6000 mah battery
Never really thought about that high of gearing. Think mine was around 3.8. I’ll have to adjust and see what happens.

What gear combo are you running. Just to get a better starting point.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
Thanks Bri,

I have access a motor analyzer, -will have to test mine out asap.
Here is some recent results from my Reedy 25.5 ( VTA ) and Motiv 25.5 ( F1 ) motors - G Force Motor Analyzer

PS, just double checked, I'm at 48 degrees on my Reedy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.