Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 02:06 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
AFAIK, there are no 26/0 or 31/6 wheels with a 12mm hex that F1 tires will fit.
Talk to the guys at CRC, they might have some ideas!
Old 04-09-2018, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

I have someone looking into mounting me up a set of F1 tires on VTA wheels.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:56 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chiefj48
<div align="left">I have someone looking into mounting me up a set of F1 tires on VTA wheels. <br />
</div>
Just for the hell of it, I emailed CRC to see what they had to say.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

The wheels that I know of that would fit F1 tires and fit on TC cars were made for the HPI Formula 10 car, I'm sure they are rare as hens teeth at this point
chiefj48 likes this.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have a few thoughts on Protoform VTA tires issues that might affect racing on very specific types of asphalt tracks (at least one track has an issue).

If a local club/area/facility is doing limited outdoor racing or parking lot racing in the summer and can't get the Protoform VTA tires to work, then I would suggest they let their local racers use the USGT tires. The Gravity USGT premounts are cheap and they are already approved by the same rules group that governs the USVTA. I realize that most of us who race VTA would prefer everyone to use USVTA rules. But we need to remember that VTA isn't just about the tires. VTA is a whole racing experience with controlled speeds that allow for close/door to door racing. We don't want a track to be forced to use tires that create out of control racing with people spinning/crashing/generally out of control. VTA isn't a demolition derby. I while I do agree that people could slow their cars to make them more controllable, there is a point where it might become so slow that it would drive people away from the class. Also I don't mind driving a car that is predictably loose, but a car that has no front or rear grip or is so loose I can't even look at the brakes is not fun to drive for anyone.

My second suggestion for any dedicated asphalt track that is having issues with the current PROTOFORM VTA tire, is for them to reach out directly to Protoform and invite them to your track to test. Full scale racing performs tire tests all them time. The tire manufacturers want to make sure their tire works best at any given event to avoid the negative PR that might be directed at their company. No tire manufacturer wants to be accused of ruining the show. I would think Protoform would feel the same way. In fact many full scale tire manufactures work directly with race teams to help them get the most out of their tires/products. Is it too much to ask that an r/c tire manufacturer that uses the terms Vintage Trans AM and VTA on their website wouldn't be interested in the overall health of this class? I haven't been very active on this thread recently so it is possible I've missed any of their suggestion on the usage of their tires.
ASM, THEBIGBULL, Joe Maxey and 2 others like this.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I have a few thoughts on Protoform VTA tires issues that might affect racing on very specific types of asphalt tracks (at least one track has an issue).

If a local club/area/facility is doing limited outdoor racing or parking lot racing in the summer and can't get the Protoform VTA tires to work, then I would suggest they let their local racers use the USGT tires. The Gravity USGT premounts are cheap and they are already approved by the same rules group that governs the USVTA. I realize that most of us who race VTA would prefer everyone to use USVTA rules. But we need to remember that VTA isn't just about the tires. VTA is a whole racing experience with controlled speeds that allow for close/door to door racing. We don't want a track to be forced to use tires that create out of control racing with people spinning/crashing/generally out of control. VTA isn't a demolition derby. I while I do agree that people could slow their cars to make them more controllable, there is a point where it might become so slow that it would drive people away from the class. Also I don't mind driving a car that is predictably loose, but a car that has no front or rear grip or is so loose I can't even look at the brakes is not fun to drive for anyone.

My second suggestion for any dedicated asphalt track that is having issues with the current PROTOFORM VTA tire, is for them to reach out directly to Protoform and invite them to your track to test. Full scale racing performs tire tests all them time. The tire manufacturers want to make sure their tire works best at any given event to avoid the negative PR that might be directed at their company. No tire manufacturer wants to be accused of ruining the show. I would think Protoform would feel the same way. In fact many full scale tire manufactures work directly with race teams to help them get the most out of their tires/products. Is it too much to ask that an r/c tire manufacturer that uses the terms Vintage Trans AM and VTA on their website wouldn't be interested in the overall health of this class? I haven't been very active on this thread recently so it is possible I've missed any of their suggestion on the usage of their tires.
Please send me a direct contact, with a direct email address. We would love for PF to come to our facility and test. One of our members reached out to PF, and was told;

"The VTA tire compound was selected by the USVTA rules makers as the spec compound"

The complete email is posted on this thread, post #11505. So you can see our beef is not with PF directly. We need "The Rules Makers" to work with us to come up with a better solution, instead of forcing Racers to soak tires, and have an inferior product. We have seasoned Racers with 20 plus years testing the tires, and set-ups.
We would enjoy working with PF, and do any testing needed to make sure that the Racer's best interest are addressed.

Best Regards,
Joe DePinto
Owner/President Valkaria RC
theflyingrc and Lone Drifter like this.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

There is a asphalt problem with PF tires I do appreciate PF stepping up and building a replacement tire. The tire is just too hard for asphalt I don't believe USGT tires are not a bonified answer to the problem. I'm scuffing tires in every practice and I still haven't been able to get two race ready sets of tires at one time. I sure PF know's there is a problem I hope they can produce a solution. My ideal solution is two compounds.

Last edited by vivo quevas; 04-10-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:38 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Please send me a direct contact, with a direct email address. We would love for PF to come to our facility and test. One of our members reached out to PF, and was told;

"The VTA tire compound was selected by the USVTA rules makers as the spec compound"

The complete email is posted on this thread, post #11505. So you can see our beef is not with PF directly. We need "The Rules Makers" to work with us to come up with a better solution, instead of forcing Racers to soak tires, and have an inferior product. We have seasoned Racers with 20 plus years testing the tires, and set-ups.
To me, this is the greatest mystery of all. If the manufacturer of the tire specifies that it should be prepped/soaked, then why the hell did "The Rules Makers" make it illegal! That's crazy.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JC3
To me, this is the greatest mystery of all. If the manufacturer of the tire specifies that it should be prepped/soaked, then why the hell did "The Rules Makers" make it illegal! That's crazy.
I'm sure that rule was there before the PF tires were even made.

Whatever can be done by Protoform to make a asphalt tire I'm know it wont be done for this outdoor racing season.
I don't think Protoform will do anything without the USVTA approving it . so don't hold your breath.
Maybe we should start the CSAVTA
Billy Kelly and JC3 like this.

Last edited by Lone Drifter; 04-10-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

Ok here’s an email from PF

“Thanks for the email,
The VTA tire compound was selected by the USVTA rules makers as the spec compound.

I would suggest soaking the tires in liquid wrench (blue version) overnight in a Ziploc bag the night before your race, then using a thin traction compound such as SXT 3.0 or Mighty Gripper Yellow. Thicker oil based stuff hasn't been effective. I would also suggest tweaking your setup for more traction such more rear toe-in.

Thanks,

Eric Epp
Designer/Brand Manager
PROTOform racepf.com”

So it seems like they would be willing to adjust the compounds as requested by the powers to be from USVTA.

So I am requesting the powers to be of USVTA to solve the problem at hand and have PF make a second compound for asphalt race tracks.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ValkariaRC

“Thanks for the email,
The VTA tire compound was selected by the USVTA rules makers as the spec compound.

I would suggest soaking the tires in liquid wrench (blue version) overnight in a Ziploc bag the night before your race, then using a thin traction compound such as SXT 3.0 or Mighty Gripper Yellow. Thicker oil based stuff hasn't been effective. I would also suggest tweaking your setup for more traction such more rear toe-in.

Thanks,

Eric Epp
Designer/Brand Manager
PROTOform racepf.com”

So it seems like they would be willing to adjust the compounds as requested by the powers to be from USVTA.

So I am requesting the powers to be of USVTA to solve the problem at hand and have PF make a second compound for asphalt race tracks.

just got same response. Good to read they are aware. Now it’s jusr up to the leader of VTA to make the decision. It’s not up to Protoform.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ValkariaRC

“Thanks for the email,
The VTA tire compound was selected by the USVTA rules makers as the spec compound.....
Anybody know what track the USVTA gods tested the new tires on prior to approving the compound ??
Old 04-11-2018, 01:42 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Anybody know what track the USVTA gods tested the new tires on prior to approving the compound ??
Nice - to see you back!

I don't know firsthand who did the testing or where exactly it was performed....but I know who does know.....
Old 04-11-2018, 01:49 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ASM
Nice - to see you back!

I don't know firsthand who did the testing or where exactly it was performed....but I know who does know.....
What I would like to know is whether or not the tires that they received to test had been pre-treated by PF? That would explain quite a bit!
Old 04-11-2018, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ASM
Nice - to see you back!

THANKS Its nice to be back ... its only been 4 years lol I see a lot of changes but also a lot has stayed the same

Got some practice yesterday, think I forgot how to drive lol Will see u soon
Joe Maxey likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.