Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChadRacing
What are the thoughts on the Novak Impact ESC in USVTA since it came out?
Novak’s Super Tuner firmware features a modern menu system that is accessed with the ESC’s programming button and 5 different-colored LEDs. Over a dozen parameters are adjustable including Start and End RPM values that use a unique table system that spans the entire usable ranges. Dynamic Timing Advance™ can be adjusted in 1-degree increments, or jump to 10-degree steps. The tuning options are endless!
Old 06-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DLS II
Finally got the body and chassis done! Don
looking good
Old 06-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Novak’s Super Tuner firmware features a modern menu system that is accessed with the ESC’s programming button and 5 different-colored LEDs. Over a dozen parameters are adjustable including Start and End RPM values that use a unique table system that spans the entire usable ranges. Dynamic Timing Advance™ can be adjusted in 1-degree increments, or jump to 10-degree steps. The tuning options are endless!
Is it legal?
Old 06-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

Is it legal?
No
Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Is it legal?
That's gonna be a no.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Hey Robk let me borrow that "easy" button...I left mine at Staples
Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Me on the top podium spot for VTA in our Speedworld Cup Race last Sat

http://rcinsider.com/?p=31431

See, I don't just stir up the rules pot, I race too
Old 06-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcpaintinpete
http://www.rctech.net/forum/florida-...23rd-24th.html

just a reminder

Sorry I'm putting this up so late
But Kissimmee race way is going to be holding a roar regionals
And the USVTA class will be a promoter or invite class
Just wanted you guys to know USVTA is growing in Florida
FYI
Lol I'm quoting myself

Ps I have been saving my belly button lint and I have found a Four leaf clover
That I squeezed and used to oil my motor bearings just for luck
Old 06-20-2012, 04:17 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
What is FLRC? Might be back in Florida in a few months, and I'm enjoying VTA a lot.
Moved from that other thread.

Florida Indoor R/C Complex
http://www.flrccomplex.com/
It's located along I-4 in Plant City just west of Lakeland and 18 miles from I-4 and I-75 interchange near Tampa. About an hour from west Orlando.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Is any thought being given to what might be done to halt the movement of VTA from a lower cost, lower performance class to just another "gotta keep up with the Joneses" form of TC racing ??
Why do I say this ? Has anyone else noticed the number of posts relating to drivers buying or switching to high end performance chassis and the number of comments relating to maxed out motor timing ?
Just recently I read a comment relating that VTA was considered more of an advanced class where this person races. Quite naturally he was selling a slightly older high performance chassis and felt the need to buy a new TC6.
These types of comments are becoming more frequent.
Has VTA lost it's way ?? And is there anything the Association can do to curb this unfortunate trend?
Just how would things be affected if we needed to set up beginner or novice classes because the main thrust of VTA is toward maximizing performance and the norm becomes the "chassis of the day" and "Hey, you want to be fast you have to be willing to run max timing" ? Worse yet is the idea that every VTA conversation with a newbie contains the comment " In order to be competitive you really have to buy top of the line gear".
Old 06-20-2012, 06:20 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geno-Machino
Sounds good, perhaps after the Sunshine Tour oval race in Daytona. A buddy is wanting to run his WGT too so a road trip may be in the future.

I've only raced oval at FLRC. Remebering the size of the track area and a little from when Ron was changing the track over post race, I'm thinking it will need a little taller gear. What FDR should a baseline the car at, 4.0 or a little different?

Let's also switch this back to the main thread.
We have only been running a few weeks so I am still testing different FDR's but I believe most are running 3.7 to 3.9. If you run too low of a FDR you will not have the punch needed for the infield.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
Anyone else running a TCX in VTA trim???

Would be interested in your asphalt setup for comparison. Currently running book setup minus rear sway bar.

Car handles well,just looking for comparison's.

Thanks
here, give this a try.

the only thing I was planning on changing was going to a harder spring in the front - but other then the rear slipping out ar 3ish minutes on untreated asphalt with untreated tires, i liked it
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-tcxvtasetup.jpg  
Old 06-20-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Is any thought being given to what might be done to halt the movement of VTA from a lower cost, lower performance class to just another "gotta keep up with the Joneses" form of TC racing ??
Why do I say this ? Has anyone else noticed the number of posts relating to drivers buying or switching to high end performance chassis and the number of comments relating to maxed out motor timing ?
Just recently I read a comment relating that VTA was considered more of an advanced class where this person races. Quite naturally he was selling a slightly older high performance chassis and felt the need to buy a new TC6.
Has VTA lost it's way ?? And is there anything the Association can do to curb this unfortunate trend?
Just how would things be affected if we needed to set up beginner or novice classes because the main thrust of VTA is toward maximizing performance and the norm becomes the "chassis of the day" and "Hey, you want to be fast you have to be willing to run max timing" ? Worse yet is the idea that every VTA conversation with a newbie contains the comment " In order to be competitive you really have to buy top of the line gear".
Hey Evoracer, what you are saying is that you want to have a mandate telling all VTA racers to just stop being competitive... ? The only thing that could possibly work would be specifying a single "low cost" chassis in the rules so that all VTA racers will have the exact same chassis.
__________________________________________________ ___________________

---->http://www.rctech.net/forum/texas-ra...obby-shop.html
Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Ive seen this on both sides of the coin....newer chassis is going to happen just because of parts and some just want something newer, and even some want a chassi that they can use in GT or TC later down the road.

But dont think the older chassis cant hang. Last year at the Southern Nats, a TC4 was in top 5 in VTA and placed 2nd in GT...and I know there were some other older chassis in A-main positions as well

As far as max timming and performace...thats a given. People are going to try and win...its racing...its slower, so its more control, but its still racing...is a newbie going to be out of the loop?...not if the locals show him/her the right way. Ive got 2-5 new guys running VTA locally in the last 2 weeks. And I hope to have them all up to par the right way by the enduro....and be competitive by the 2012 USVTA Southern Nationals.

Im for one feel that the "novice" part of VTA was more cause of speed...but once you get your feet wet....you are racing...and even if you are not the winner, there is somebody on the track thats racing with you...and you want to beat them.

USVTA Vintage R/C Racing

Welcome to the home for the newly created Vintage T/A 1/10th scale R/C road racing class, based on 4wd touring cars. The class rules are developed to provide close racing with controlled chassis, battery, motor, tire and body specifications. The goal of the VTA class is to bring back awesome looking cars in a cost controlled racing format where the result is just plain fun. The speed of the specification package brings close and competitive racing for sportsman, intermediate and experienced hobbyist that rewards driver development.

With a decline in all R/C racing in recent years, racing needs a big shot of fun and excitement--and this is the perfect class. Far more reasonable speeds, low costs, realistic and exciting looking bodies, wheels and tires, less traction and wheel-to-wheel action drive this class. It IS the next big thing. It's appealing not only to spectators, but to new and old racers, alike. For a low initial cost, any prospective Trans-Am racer can get a car, a radio and be racing with very little time or effort. And the fact is that racers who have never raced before can be on the same level playing field as everyone else, and really enjoy doing so.

The basic rules were created by energetic and insightful racers in Wisconsin and Illinois, and have proven to be very effective and successful. All rules will evolve and adapt as the class warrants. New participating tracks are encouraged to grow the class and adapt ideas to the class, and share those ideas with the U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Series, yet stay true to the original ideas and rules. Hopefully, we can all make this a great class to grow with, and bring back the fun and entertainment to road racing.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Hey Darkside, was that "humunga-sized" text really necessary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.