Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 12:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cain
Thanks for the info on the motor, would think if it runs cooler it will allow taller gearing, but maybe more to it. Will see what is out there. Darn, should have grabbed some in the spring lol.
You probably can.

Originally Posted by Cain
Darn, so no cop car body again with working lights and siren lol.
Actually..., one of the guys at our track has a General Lee. I was going to get a 'Cuda body and have it made into Sheriff Rosco's cop car.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

cool. I had a cop car body, parma at the time and I am glad I did, I think I got spun out quite a bit lol but was quite fun, especially when chasing someone down.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Nothing wrong with running lights on r/c cars. But if you are going to race with headlights, I would suggest finding a way to "fog" the bulb so it isn't distracting.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

yeah didn't have lights in t4he front and rear, just the top flasher and a speaker. Wish I kept it now lol.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ASM
Finally - some common sense is stated out loud. All the motor you can muster up isn't going to do anyone any good without the corner speed. Yep, everyone says they understand that but only a few can consistently produce a very free car.
I agree. However, to be fast in the corners you first must have some speed to carry into the corners. If you recall, my journey into the timing issue began with a motor that cogged so badly it wouldn't start the car without a push (having 58 degrees of timing - 13 more than the label - probably didn't help with the cogging either). The dyno and the motorlyser just provided documentation on how significant the timing label problem is so I could present a fact based argument for change. Sorry if you and Jonesy112 don't understand that. Not all of us were blessed with a Novak motor that actually worked (new or used).

Last edited by John Wallace2; 10-10-2014 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Im a little teapot short and ........

just saying....
Old 10-10-2014, 08:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If headlights are that much of a problem------------
Old 10-10-2014, 10:23 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
I agree. However, to be fast in the corners you first must have some speed to carry into the corners. If you recall, my journey into the timing issue began with a motor that cogged so badly it wouldn't start the car without a push (having 58 degrees of timing - 13 more than the label - probably didn't help with the cogging either). The dyno and the motorlyser just provided documentation on how significant the timing label problem is so I could present a fact based argument for change. Sorry if you and Jonesy112 don't understand that. Not all of us were blessed with a Novak motor that actually worked (new or used).
I certainly recall your issue and my comment was not meant for you to take personally. However, let's be realistic, the overall percentage of motors with your type of issue are truly the exception. It the squeaky wheels on this site that get the attention and rarely do we hear about the fact that most Novak 25.5 motors are pretty darn good.

And as for the whole label issue, there will always be a mfg tolerance with any motor and now robk has resolved that problem for us despite that not being what he was actually trying to fix for us.

The point was, and meant as generalization, if racers will seriously focus on chassis set-up, they may find that a free car will resolve and/or eliminate any perceived motor issues they think they have. A motor with a truly serious manufacturing defect is a complete exception. Remember, not all racers are blessed with a motorlyser....most just "think" they have motor problem. They measure solely by lap times or straightaway speed but very often fail to realize they were getting killed in the corner right before the straight....or all the rest of the corners.

As for Jonesy112, I can't put myself in his class yet with chassis set-up for carpet. Every time I've been to Nashville, he has finished ahead of me. I have a very fast Novak motor - the only one I've ever bought and it was right off the shelf. But on carpet, I haven't found the magic set-up for my style and I can't get it free enough, especially when the traction comes way up. BUT - it is guys like Jonesy112, BATTMAN, and many others that keep me going back there year after year with the inspiration to get better with my carpet set-ups and the changing track conditions.

Asphalt - now that's a different story
Old 10-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you race enough against the best VTA racers, you will slowly realize that it is how they drive through the corners that makes the most difference. You watch their cars and start to realize that there is very little wasted effort. Often they aren't even the fastest down the straight.

The more I've raced this class (and talked to other racers) the more I've realized that the top drivers are just managing all the little things better than I can. They just have a better setup...which allows them to take the corners better...which keeps the motor from over-heating...which means they use a little less battery..which allows them to gear their cars better...and so on.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to get the best performance out of the individual components that make up our race cars (be it chassis, electronics, etc). You can't expect to compete if you have a defective component. However we can't be so focused on any single component that we fail to see how it operates in the system as a whole. The best motor in the world can't entirely make up for a bad setup or poor driving (as I've personally seen in many years of racing).

Current USVTA rules work because all of the individual components we are allowed to use combine to create close racing. You don't have to have the newest chassis, best battery, fastest motor, new set of tires, etc... to be successful in this class. The racer who gets the most out of their car on any given day has a good chance of winning. This is what keeps me coming back to the track week after week.

After I submit this post, I'm going to pack up my car and go race VTA this evening. I hope everyone reading this thread also has a chance to race their VTA cars this weekend. And I hope win or lose everyone will have a chance to have some fun at the track.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
If you race enough against the best VTA racers, you will slowly realize that it is how they drive through the corners that makes the most difference. You watch their cars and start to realize that there is very little wasted effort. Often they aren't even the fastest down the straight.

The more I've raced this class (and talked to other racers) the more I've realized that the top drivers are just managing all the little things better than I can. They just have a better setup...which allows them to take the corners better...which keeps the motor from over-heating...which means they use a little less battery..which allows them to gear their cars better...and so on.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to get the best performance out of the individual components that make up our race cars (be it chassis, electronics, etc). You can't expect to compete if you have a defective component. However we can't be so focused on any single component that we fail to see how it operates in the system as a whole. The best motor in the world can't entirely make up for a bad setup or poor driving (as I've personally seen in many years of racing).

Current USVTA rules work because all of the individual components we are allowed to use combine to create close racing. You don't have to have the newest chassis, best battery, fastest motor, new set of tires, etc... to be successful in this class. The racer who gets the most out of their car on any given day has a good chance of winning. This is what keeps me coming back to the track week after week.

After I submit this post, I'm going to pack up my car and go race VTA this evening. I hope everyone reading this thread also has a chance to race their VTA cars this weekend. And I hope win or lose everyone will have a chance to have some fun at the track.
+1 I remember watching the driver, who won the Scale Nationals this year. His car was the EXACT SAME SPEED everywhere on the track. It never sped up or slowed down. He had a perfect set-up for his driving style.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer

That's hard to do (watch the other drivers) when you are racing against them. But our tracks (San Antonio and Austin) have had videos of the bigger races and there you can see the big difference in lines between the good drivers like Tommy R and the rest of us!
Old 10-10-2014, 04:07 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
That's hard to do (watch the other drivers) when you are racing against them. But our tracks (San Antonio and Austin) have had videos of the bigger races and there you can see the big difference in lines between the good drivers like Tommy R and the rest of us!
We call that Ambulance chasing!
Old 10-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Loco4G63T
We call that Ambulance chasing!
Or closing the barn door after the horses have run off. Would be better to see before the next heat, but still it certainly does help!
Old 10-12-2014, 06:02 AM
Tech Adept

Default Indoor carpet racing in Iowa

I am very excited to let people know that there will be indoor carpet racing in Iowa this winter.
The Dubuque Fairground RC Raceway will be holding on road rc car racing.
The classes will be USVTA, USGT, revo, novice and probably 17.5 TC. If enough cars show up for a different class, they will add it. You can find out more at iowafasttrack.com or dfrcr.com.
The first race is Nov. 9th with doors opening at 9am and racing at 11am.
The address of the track is:
14569 Old Highway Road Dubuque, IA 52002 in the Creative Arts Building.

There are tables, chairs, electricity and restrooms.
Come out and have some fun.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Has anyone here used a Corally RDX with a 21.5 motor for VTA? If so, what FDR did you use? I'm trying to determine if my car is very slow, or I just need to readjust my expectations after racing 21.5 F1 and 17.5 Touring Car!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.