Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 07:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

RobK took it too easy on you guys. I would have announced that the justock was banned and let you guys bust all the windows out and burn the flag before I told what the real rule was. He could have gotten some great deals on VTA rides on eBay in the meantime.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Excelent news!!! I would just like to get a clarification. I understand the rule list has been updated to match the ROAR list. Would this be all ESC's as long as they are in blinky mode? Or would it be all ESC's on the list that are a "spec" or "locked" ESC?
It would any ESC that is on the ROAR approval list running the approved software with the correct blinking light pattern listed on the ROAR list....or any ESC that is on the "old" USVTA list of approved esc's.

Now bring on the National Points!!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
i was hoping to see open motor, open speedo. oh well.

just imagine how wild that would be...
Would be a game changer. Instead of close door to door racing. Every one would just be trying to contain the beast. Soooooo how much power can you control with a brick of a body, so so tires and no air control surfaces, couple hundred extra grams.
Would be interesting to watch, but I want no part of it.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

I think race fees for the big vta races should be an extra $20 if you use a speedo from the ROAR list vs the usvta list. whaddya think?
Old 06-10-2014, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Ive seen VTA run with 13.5 plus motors. Its not racing. Its mutliple contoled crashes inside a predescibed course known as a track. Most just start a turn, then use the track boards to help finish it. And on the straights they were heat seeking missles towards each other.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:59 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carnage9270
I don't know who you heard that from but they obviously had no clue what they were talking about. Non-programmable is almost non-existent. Handcuffing half the racers in the world is not something in ROARs plans.

There's a reason the restriction is being lifted here.
I'm sure it was meant as far as timing/boost goes and maybe it was only for a select class or so (17.5). As you know, there are units out there that do not accept those parameters.

The source was reliable. The words "there is talk about it for next year" were used. Maybe this wasn't referred to nationally but maybe just a regional change here for the series. I just bought a new TC at the race and was talking about buying a new ESC and this individual told me I might want to wait on buying because......

So, I was just asking robk if had heard anything relating to this and the question was addressed to him specifically.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ASM
I'm sure it was meant as far as timing/boost goes and maybe it was only for a select class or so (17.5). As you know, there are units out there that do not accept those parameters.

The source was reliable. The words "there is talk about it for next year" were used. Maybe this wasn't referred to nationally but maybe just a regional change here for the series. I just bought a new TC at the race and was talking about buying a new ESC and this individual told me I might want to wait on buying because......

So, I was just asking robk if had heard anything relating to this and the question was addressed to him specifically.
It's not just a "regional rumor", I have been told and heard the same thing.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:13 AM
Tech Addict

Any chance of updating the official USVTA website rules page with a link to the ROAR rules on speed controllers?
Old 06-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Care to enlighten me with which shop this was? Was it HT in Fredericksburg (The "C" ) that ran Spec Gt, or are you referring to the spec series that MRH / Johns Mobile RC ran? I raced at all of those places, in those particular classes...

And no, When I say "silvercan" I'm not talking about a brushed variant, I'm talking about the BL motors that Novak put out that were all silver with a light purple center ring... later an orange ring for the club-combo version. These had limited user adjustability, not like the Boss / Ballistic with their decal-adorned "twist it all you want" endbells. Hope this clears it all up. And yes, even with those some will be better than others. Such is life.

Moving along. The news to open the ESC to what is specified by ROAR is a great move . More future participants and less hassles to be sure. And if there continues to be a usvta platform here in Florida, I'm cool with running it. I also want to run a $50 dollar esc and now it looks like I can. I do this on a budget, like many others! At least I'll say this, it makes my decision to build two cars and run both versions (roar & usvta) a lot more solid in my mind. If this had gone "novak or nothing" that would have been it for me, as well as others.
It was the C in Fredericksburg MD. I usually raced VTA at Mimi's, then she switched over to off road. On road is just making a come back here in San Antonio TX so my VTA static display now has new life.

+1 on allowing ROAR ESC with approved stock spec (AKA blinky) software in VTA. When I returned to VTA racing in January, I used my TEKIN RS PRO with Blinky software until I got my USVTA legal ESC. There was no noticeable change in lap times when I switched ESCs. Also in our AROC series, which allowed the ROAR ESCs, when my ESC blew I put the TEKIN back in and again no change in performance - despite a lot of complaining about the series' rules. So will I change my ESC because of the expanded USVTA ESC rules - Heck no! Because my $50 HW just stock ESC is just a good in VTA and USGT as my new $200 Tekin Gen 2 ESC in blinky mode (which I bought for its weight not performance).
Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
So will I change my ESC because of the expanded USVTA ESC rules - Heck no! Because my $50 HW just stock ESC is just a good in VTA and USGT as my new $200 Tekin Gen 2 ESC in blinky mode (which I bought for its weight not performance).
+1
Old 06-10-2014, 08:24 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
It's not just a "regional rumor", I have been told and heard the same thing.
Eric - thank you for the response and I appreciate you sharing what you've heard as well. That helps me make a bit more informed decision in relation to the purchase of my next ESC for 17.5
Old 06-10-2014, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ASM
Eric - thank you for the response and I appreciate you sharing what you've heard as well. That helps me make a bit more informed decision in relation to the purchase of my next ESC for 17.5
I would still be cautious Scott. Last time we heard rumors of Stock TC going to 21.5 it met huge resistance and didn't make it out of discussion at the ROAR level.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

There are a nice group of inexpensive programmables with no timing out there. I've had good luck with the last couple of Reventon S models. They are on par with the Justocks. Pretty impressive! If I can nearly get 3 for the price of 1 and performance is on par, I can't be any happier than the cat that ate the canary.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I would've loved for stock TC to be 21.5. Thats much cloeer to the speed that the old 27.5 stock classes were. 17.5 is more like the 19.5 super stock we used to race. But oh well, on to USVTA stuff. So with the ESC rule now open, how many plan on getting something else, or just sticking with with they have?
Old 06-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by theproffesor
I would've loved for stock TC to be 21.5. Thats much cloeer to the speed that the old 27.5 stock classes were. 17.5 is more like the 19.5 super stock we used to race. But oh well, on to USVTA stuff. So with the ESC rule now open, how many plan on getting something else, or just sticking with with they have?
sticking with what I have (justock), or maybe going back to the GTB2 - depends on which feels better now that I have the justock all sorted out, settings wise (weak brakes)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.