Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Hope everyone had a great weekend racing Vintage Trans-Am

No but I spent a few hours last night painting a Protoform Firebird. Spastix goes on slow if you follow their directions, but it doesn't run.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Congrats, Greg!

Last edited by NutDriver; 06-08-2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Ooops. Dumb finger
Old 06-08-2014, 10:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
TBH I don't know why the Novak 25.5 club combo they had wasn't made the designated USVTA- only motor & esc. Talk about "parity", and lack of "perceived advantages" that others might have.... well there you have it with that set up. One simple esc profile. One motor, with very limited adjustability. An "even" playing field for all participants. Less speed, yet plenty of fun. No timing decal issues, no variances. But that is just my opinion. But you are correct, it's one brand not one motor. Which is fine, whatever, but call it for what it is.
No variances? - you are living in la la land. The label issue is caused by manufacturing variations at least that is what we are being told. BTW I saw RJs new BOSS motor today. If you draw a line through the two lower timing screws, the line on his motor goes through the ~45 degree mark on the label. On my BOSS that line goes through the ~35 degree mark (see Mr 75 MHz post tis thread - with pictures - earlier this spring). If both of these labels are correctly placed at the zero timing point for these stators, then if I put his bearing cap on my BOSS, I potentially could get 55 degrees of timing when the 45 degree mark on the label is aligned with the etched timing groove on the back end bell, making the problem even worse than I previously thought (50 degrees).

So what is the over/under that USVTA will eliminate the max 45 degree timing rule?
Old 06-09-2014, 04:27 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Who Posted?
Total Posts: 7,488
User Name Posts
DARKSIDE 627
wwddww34 359
snoopyrc 344
rcpaintinpete 203
k_bojar 183
moparSRT 154
ercwhtsd 141
robk 128
IndyHobbies.com 127
Flying Monkey
Old 06-09-2014, 06:45 AM
Tech Regular

Mopar-
Awesome, you're the man!!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Mopar love the no novak sticker
Old 06-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
No variances? - you are living in la la land. The label issue is caused by manufacturing variations at least that is what we are being told. BTW I saw RJs new BOSS motor today. If you draw a line through the two lower timing screws, the line on his motor goes through the ~45 degree mark on the label. On my BOSS that line goes through the ~35 degree mark (see Mr 75 MHz post tis thread - with pictures - earlier this spring). If both of these labels are correctly placed at the zero timing point for these stators, then if I put his bearing cap on my BOSS, I potentially could get 55 degrees of timing when the 45 degree mark on the label is aligned with the etched timing groove on the back end bell, making the problem even worse than I previously thought (50 degrees).

So what is the over/under that USVTA will eliminate the max 45 degree timing rule?
I think you clearly missed what I was saying.... there has been so much talk of parity and even this, even that. So my point was that if the motor that came in the club combo (silvercan, whatever you call it- not a Boss or Ballistic) had been made the only legal motor, then a lot of the issues being debated would go away. I keep hearing that it's not about speed, it's affordable fun and everything that goes with that. As for the decal issue, yes that is what we are being told. so what happens when I buy a new endbell kit, with a timing decal thrown in there for self-application? Just pointing out the flaws as I see them. And by "no variances" I mean we no longer focus on them by using the club-spec motor. Buy it, strap it in, get the gearing to our liking and go. Straight up, hold the la-la.

Over / Under? Your guess is as good as mine, Bud.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Mopar love the no novak sticker
LOL, I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
Hope everyone had a great weekend racing Vintage Trans-Am

TC4 faired better than the Sakura? Good job with both cars
Old 06-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

TC4 faired better than the Sakura? Good job with both cars
no the sakura was faster, faster drivers ran roar vta though. he did a great job.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:51 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

no the faster cars were in ROAR vta all the USVTA cars were very close in times and laps ........

and Myron dam bro you got TQ in posts lol

I had a great weekend of racing as well .....

Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-2014-roar-vta-champ.jpg  
Old 06-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Scott Adair Memorial Award? What's that?
Old 06-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Scott Adair Memorial Award? What's that?
The "Scott Adair Memorial Award"

Is Valkaria RC's Highest Honor.

It is not something many will receive.

To be the Recipient of this Award, A Club Member, has shown to be a, Leader, Teacher, Student, and Most of all Someone that puts Others before Themselves.

Peter J Pepe, has shown these qualities time, and time again, and is Well Deserving of this Award.

Scott was one of my closest Friends, and was very instrumental in the building of Valkaria RC.

On April 29, 2013 we lost Scott in a fatal air crash. Scott will always be remembered for his Smile, Kindness, and Most of ALL, his Willingness to help Others. There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about him, and remember him fondly.

Thank You Scott for helping make a "Dream Come True"

Last edited by chiefj48; 06-09-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think you clearly missed what I was saying.... there has been so much talk of parity and even this, even that. So my point was that if the motor that came in the club combo (silvercan, whatever you call it- not a Boss or Ballistic) had been made the only legal motor, then a lot of the issues being debated would go away. I keep hearing that it's not about speed, it's affordable fun and everything that goes with that. As for the decal issue, yes that is what we are being told. so what happens when I buy a new endbell kit, with a timing decal thrown in there for self-application? Just pointing out the flaws as I see them. And by "no variances" I mean we no longer focus on them by using the club-spec motor. Buy it, strap it in, get the gearing to our liking and go. Straight up, hold the la-la.

Over / Under? Your guess is as good as mine, Bud.
I guess I did, sorry. "Affordable fun" - Yes I'm all for that. But even the club spec motor might not fix the problem as much as you might think. A few years ago a hobby shop in Maryland bought a batch of closed end bell (fixed timing) sliver can brushed motors for a spec class they ran (maybe the silver can motor you are talking about). They dyno'd the motors and used only the ones within the parameters they chose to get 20 or 25 motors as closely matched as possible (sold the rest as practice motors or used them in their rental cars). They numbered those motors, and when you signed up for that spec class race you were randomly assigned one of those motors to use. To make sure you didn't do anything too special to the motor, you returned it each night after the race was over and because of the random draw for motors at each race, you may never get it back again in future races. Even then after a few races, people knew which were the "dog" motors and these were the cream of the batch of motors they bought.

Last edited by John Wallace2; 06-09-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I know I have had a delightful time watching everyone try to figure out what is going to happen, but all good things must come to an end....

First the good news: A national points series encompassing both club and big races will be rolled out in the very near future to start August 1. Most of the details are ready and we just have a few final things to hash out but a full announcement with all details will be coming soon. Our system is based on the one used for RC model airplane pylon racers for over 35 years. There will be a fee associated with this but you will receive both driver number decals for your car and awards for top finishers at the end of the year.

On to a heavier subject, yes you must run a driver figure. We will not be changing that rule.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.