Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikel33
I'm not getting into the trolling vs non-trolling thing. But IMHO there is NOTHING wrong with the HW Justock for vta racing. I won many a local vta race, qualified 5th at the indoor champs in 2012, and won 1 of the triple crown vta races with with one. I'm not trying to brag by saying that because goodness knows there are many better racers out there, just trying to illustrate the potential of the speedo.
Agreed. Keep it on THE list!
Old 05-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

I've owned most of the esc's on the list over the last few years. The ONLY one I didn't really like was the Cirtix, because the brakes felt soft compared to other esc's. With a slight driving style change, it was just as capable (on the clock) as all the rest - I didn't feel comfortable with it but also didn't feel like it put me at a disadvantage on any level. Honestly the biggest deciding factor for me with choosing VTA esc's is the physical size and what it's going in, it's fit over function because the function parts aren't all that different. What specifically makes (any of) them "not good?"
Old 05-18-2014, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Feel. That is why you hardly ever see the ones listed being competitive in any open blinky classes. They all work, but compared to the higher end race esc's they don't really compare. I put my 25.5 in my tc car with no other changes to just try and it felt great. Put it back into my VTA car with the justock and it felt .... It just like the old tekin stuff, you don't realize how bad they were until you go to something new

Last edited by nexxus; 05-18-2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Language
Old 05-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I was just thinking "What could I say to get this thread livened up a bit. It seems a little dead. What can be said to stir the pot just a little, but not too much"

Well looks like someone else decided to swing for the fence instead of just bunt.

Not going to get involved in the debate of stay or go. But I will say my HW works great and I have only ever had problems out of one that took a hard t-bone hit. But I sent it in to HW USA, and they replaced it no prob under warranty.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Okay, so there is a real problem here for some people (no sarcasm intended).

Due to the current number of brand new & available speed controls on the USVTA approved list, what do you do if you don't like any of them? You only have a few options...

** Work with your local track to run ROAR VTA rules (for at least the speed controls)
- Find a good used USVTA legal speed control that you like.
- Find a new no longer available from manufacturer USVTA legal speed control online (ebay)
- Petition other manufacturers to release USVTA spec speed controls.
- Wait for USVTA to test/approve/add additional speed controls.

----------

Since it is impossible for any national racing organization (whether it is ROAR or USVTA) to create rules that will make everyone happy, the best option is to always address concerns locally.

Ultimately though just about every combination of chassis/battery/speed control has or is capable of winning a USVTA race. The real difference is setup and driver ability.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 05-18-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Promodvette, what speed control where you running in your Spec-R when you set TQ in the last 2 out of 3 races? Was this USVTA, VTA, or some other racing?
Old 05-18-2014, 08:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
- Petition other manufacturers to release USVTA spec speed controls.
- Wait for USVTA to test/approve/add additional speed controls.
You mean like Tekin?

I was running the Justock. Maybe my setup/driving is fine. But the ESC never felt good enough for me to run any more than that. Keep in mind I never did update the software, so not sure if that would make a difference. I let another guy run the car for its last 2 races before I sold it off.

2 out of the 3 tracks within 3 hours of me run ROAR VTA rules so thats not the issue. Its being able to go to that 3rd track and run with the same equipment. The majority of tracks seem to be migrating towards ROAR VTA because of the same issues I am describing. Its not secret Novak ESC's are bad quality. I have heard of more of them smoked than any others on the market. I personally had 1 edge DOA, and 1 edge and 1 gtb2 fail mid race.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikel33
I'm not getting into the trolling vs non-trolling thing. But IMHO there is NOTHING wrong with the HW Justock for vta racing. I won many a local vta race, qualified 5th at the indoor champs in 2012, and won 1 of the triple crown vta races with with one. I'm not trying to brag by saying that because goodness knows there are many better racers out there, just trying to illustrate the potential of the speedo.
The potential of that speedo is surprising. In my the car I ran at the 2014 ROAR carpet nats in 13.5 was the hobby wing justock. No fan, it was equipped as it was in my VTA car, it never faded or got soft and I ended up 6th in the A overall there. That speedo is plenty good for 25.5-13.5. Hard to argue with performance like that and a price tag under 60$
Old 05-19-2014, 06:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
You mean like Tekin?

I was running the Justock. Maybe my setup/driving is fine. But the ESC never felt good enough for me to run any more than that. Keep in mind I never did update the software, so not sure if that would make a difference. I let another guy run the car for its last 2 races before I sold it off.

2 out of the 3 tracks within 3 hours of me run ROAR VTA rules so thats not the issue. Its being able to go to that 3rd track and run with the same equipment. The majority of tracks seem to be migrating towards ROAR VTA because of the same issues I am describing. Its not secret Novak ESC's are bad quality. I have heard of more of them smoked than any others on the market. I personally had 1 edge DOA, and 1 edge and 1 gtb2 fail mid race.
Damn you beat me to it LOL
Old 05-19-2014, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

ROAR VTA trending?????. were all rich just build 2 cars, one roar and one usvta,
Old 05-19-2014, 07:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Where are you running? Because to me Onroad in North Georgia has a cloud over it right now. Nexus is gone and HS is now dirt only. I can add another option for everyone but I need to know that there is interest, before I go through the trouble. Otherwise its easier to just fill the suburban with guys and ride to Rocck or Thunder or One Lug. Not sure what is going on with ROCCK right now. One Lug's on road interest ebbs and flows as well.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Onelug and Bush River. Out for the summer, but when I am able to race again I want to have my junk together and ready. What/where is ROCCK?

Edit - Also if you didn't know, there is a new asphalt onroad place that has recently opened down in Covington (roughly 30 min east of Atlanta) I know its a long drive for you but really our only option in GA right now. It says 1/8 but ignore that, its only 70x70. Vid below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OQO...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-19-2014, 02:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Onelug and Bush River. Out for the summer, but when I am able to race again I want to have my junk together and ready. What/where is ROCCK?

Edit - Also if you didn't know, there is a new asphalt onroad place that has recently opened down in Covington (roughly 30 min east of Atlanta) I know its a long drive for you but really our only option in GA right now. It says 1/8 but ignore that, its only 70x70. Vid below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OQO...ature=youtu.be
PROMODVETTE Onelug is running this summer. We had a race this past saturday had 4 guys in VTA that was the only class we ran. We had mine and 2 other TC 17.5 guys there, just decided not to race but practice for that class. We are having another race May 31st you and kent come and join us. Onelug runs ROAR VTA, I think everybody that races runs USVTA setup cars though but we would be happy to have more racers.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

I know they are running, I don't have time personally to race during the summer is all. I'm not even running offroad at the track 5 min away from me.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonesy112
The potential of that speedo is surprising. In my the car I ran at the 2014 ROAR carpet nats in 13.5 was the hobby wing justock. No fan, it was equipped as it was in my VTA car, it never faded or got soft and I ended up 6th in the A overall there. That speedo is plenty good for 25.5-13.5. Hard to argue with performance like that and a price tag under 60$
I witnessed this first-hand all week and still have trouble believing it. One of the 5 fastest cars in terms of horsepower running the cheapest ESC available.

"The little speedo that could"......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.