Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pro 4 vs. SSG

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

YAY BLack looks badas$. im gettin one in like 4 days. yay. i gess from all these replies, an ssg is better over teh pro4, no?
Old 01-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Tech Champion

Can I suggest tamiya trf 415 ? they are much cheaper now after the arrival of 415MS.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

actually I was planning to get a 415 but the price tag then was so high. I did'nt know the 415's price got lowered?
Old 01-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by pops
Billy Easton was in the top 10 at the worlds with a box stock SSG, I mean box stock, no graphite. When the SSG came out it was a little weak in the front, but upgrades as simple as a wider bumper and thicker C hubs have fixed that problem.
Don't try to compare the worlds results. HARA and friends have 2,3, and 6th at the worlds. Oh yeah, they were also "bone stock". BTW Eastons car had all the necessary modifications as the HPI did too, so don't BS us and try to make people think he built a car out-of-the-box and put it on the track.

The Pro 4 is hands down the best shaft-drive and 415 or Xray FK are the best belt drives.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

I get bored with the same car so I switched from the Pro4 to an Xray. And the Pro 4 is still just as fast when new, but with any shaft drive car the direct acceleration wears out the drivetrain much faster than a belt car.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I've owned the Pro4 and both SSG and CGM and I like the CGM the most. The Pro4 is a very nice car. It has a very free drive train out of the box and is very light. The down sides for me on the Pro4 are it's a pain to work on, especially if you have to get to a diff and it's very touchy on the track. If you are a very smooth driver and can control a car that's very touchy, then this car may be good for you.

If you get the SSG, there's really only one thing you need to get and that's aluminum steering knuckles. The stock plastic knuckles can work out the kingpins while you're driving. If you don't switch them out, just check them regularly. You don't really need all that other crap, some people just think they need everything as soon as it comes out and pretty soon the whole car is upgraded and there's nothing left of the originial but, it's really not necessary.

Why do people always compare the quality of a car by which pro just won a national or a worlds? How many of us drive on that level anyway? I'm convinced Hara could drive a Radio shack car to a worlds, doesn't mean I'm going to buy one. Didn't he drive the Pro3 to national or world title? What a piece that was.

Just my opinion, not trying to start any wars.

Hope this helps with your decision.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

so,

Pro 4: pros: Light, smooth drivetrain, great out of the box
cons: hard to work with and hard to mess around with the diffs. More for experienced drivers?

ssg: pros: easy to work with, easier to mess with the diffs, and smooth

cons: ?

cgm: pros: doesn't tweak as much
cons: a little heavy

Thanks for all of the advise. lol , but I am still unsure what to get?
Old 01-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Originally posted by Pro4Capece
The Pro 4 is hands down the best shaft-drive and 415 or Xray FK are the best belt drives.
Hands down... I seriously doubt it but it would be pointless to elaborate

- JB
Old 01-16-2005, 03:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thanx for that EVILGRAFX, BUT one upgrade on any of the SD cars that are necessary is the WIDE FRONT BUMPER. I don't have them yet, but I do agree on the steering knuckle deal...

- JB
Old 01-16-2005, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Pro4Capece
Don't try to compare the worlds results. HARA and friends have 2,3, and 6th at the worlds. Oh yeah, they were also "bone stock". BTW Eastons car had all the necessary modifications as the HPI did too, so don't BS us and try to make people think he built a car out-of-the-box and put it on the track.

I was not trying to compare the worlds results, all I said was that Billy was able to run an SSG at the worlds and made the top 10 without all the hop ups - as was stated by asw7576. I was told by Robert at Yokomo that the car Billy was running was bone stock, so you can believe it or not. I assume he took it out of a box and built it for himself....
Old 01-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

so I was wondering let's take a poll?

1)HPI Pro4
2)Yokomo CGM Special
3)Yokomo SSG
Old 01-16-2005, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by axel
so I was wondering let's take a poll?

1)HPI Pro4
2)Yokomo CGM Special
3)Yokomo SSG
A poll? Your sounding a lot like Bill Clinton....
Old 01-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

I have been running a pro4 for 6 months and love it. I was amazed on how smooth the drive train is I do agree that it is a little bit harder to work on though.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:04 PM
Tech Elite

When people say the pro4 is hard to work on, they are talking about talking 6 screws off to access the diff. 4 if you make the de-tweaking mod. Both cars are time-consuming to replace spur gears and set motor mesh. Which ever one you get will make you happy. Just base your decision on which color you like best:

Black and Purple
or
Silver and Grey
Old 01-16-2005, 09:55 PM

having picked up and checked out billys ssg at nats, i can say it was bone stock, except for the bearings. and i'm not sure about those. i do know his cgm had a few items on it but he didn't use it. all stock plastic arms, plastic diff cases, front c-hubs and rear hubs all plastic, theres really no reason to argue this point, go to yokomousa.com find the pictures from worlds, and click on his ssg.
the performance gain of the cgm over the ssg, is worth the extra 2oz. at least to me it is. and i can have the spur gear out and back in, in under 5 minutes, way under if i hurry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.