Wiki Posts
Search

Comparing Electronics..Cheaper vs. Not so Cheap

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 1101
you cant compare 'race spec' car parts with generic budget plane parts

compare budget car electronics with budget plane electronics & prices arnt too far apart, however hardcase lipos will cost a bit more
Lost of guys using Turnigy hardcase nano's in their cars

But you get what youpay for arguement just doesnt stack up. The fact is we are being raped pricewise for the big brands
- Hobbywing systems: rubbished as cheap crap when they came out, have proven to be very reliable at 1/2 the price
- xerun: rubbished when they came out. Have proven to be a WINNING esc, at up to 1/3 the price.
- Flysky: rubbished when they came out. Have proven to be a excellent BUDGET(not race) system, very good for those on a tight budget

these 'cheap & nasty' electronics are somehow 'good' when well known brands put their sticker on em & sell em rebranded for 50% more.
Theres alot of RC snobbery by those buying the big buck gear
Cheap does not allways mean nasty
+1 about the Hobbywing stuff. Just fantastic and thats not even considering how cheap they are. Most if not all of our club members who race Touring Mode use their 120A esc.

Mike
Old 02-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Isn't this the FCC Cert for the Flysky GT3b in question? Just wondering.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryLeach
You get what you pay for.

The FlySky transmitter is not FCC approved, and many tracks are banning them because they knock FCC approved transmitters out. Not hear to debate, there's plenty of accounts, tests and proof out there for anyone willing to look for it.

If you're bashing, it's a feature rich, cheap radio. If you're racing, you may not be the most popular guy on the stand if your competitors start having issues and they figure out that it's only happening when your radio is turned on.
You Sir,don't have a clue what you're talking about. Ever tried one??? NOPE.....I raced 1/4 scale gas boats with one.
Amongst about 10 to 12k's worth of fiberglass at a time.

IMPBA# 20617S.... On an off-shore course @ more than 1000ft away standing with every brand in the book. Never a problem. The only ones that had problems were the Spektrum owners and it has nothing to do with the Fly....

Originally Posted by fredswain
It's not Flysky's fault that Spektrum sucks so bad since it seems it's always they are the ones that have the problems! I know far too many people that have range/glitch issues with them. I haven't had any with Flysky or my Airtronics. Even though the Airtronics MX-Sport is a lower line piece (that works awesome) yet is 3X the price of the Flysky, it's still cheaper than the DX2S Spektrum. No thanks. You guys can keep that expensive crap. I'm not will to pay MORE for problems! Fortunately none of the tracks here care about what the FCC thinks which is about how much I care too.
Agree!!!

Last edited by ridepate; 02-24-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
It's not Flysky's fault that Spektrum sucks so bad since it seems it's always they are the ones that have the problems! I know far too many people that have range/glitch issues with them. I haven't had any with Flysky or my Airtronics. Even though the Airtronics MX-Sport is a lower line piece (that works awesome) yet is 3X the price of the Flysky, it's still cheaper than the DX2S Spektrum. No thanks. You guys can keep that expensive crap. I'm not will to pay MORE for problems! Fortunately none of the tracks here care about what the FCC thinks which is about how much I care too.
I have all that "lower priced junk" and it goes into bashers. why you ask. because lap times don't lie.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
+1 about the Hobbywing stuff. Just fantastic and thats not even considering how cheap they are. Most if not all of our club members who race Touring Mode use their 120A esc.

Mike
I will also agree about the hobbywing system. im the ONLY guy around here who runs it in 1/10 open offroad around here. but in spec racing i still much prefer tekin.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
Isn't this the FCC Cert for the Flysky GT3b in question? Just wondering.
There seems to be some info missing from that form, like the measured power output. It's on the FCC page, but I really don't know what to make of it.

A full-on FCC testing and approval report looks more like this one I found for the Spektrum DX7, note the FCC ID on the cover page.

Originally Posted by ridepate
You don't have a clue what you're talking about.
Oh really, you have a copy of your FCC tag from your FlySky?

I get it guys, really I do, it's cheap, and it works, and it's cheap, and you love it, and it's cheap.

But I'll tell you right now, if I have radio problems with a radio I paid good money for and has the correct documentation, whenever YOUR radio is turned on, and no other times... YOUR radio will be removed from MY problem.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Tech Regular

I get it guys, really I do, it's cheap, and it works, and it's cheap, and you love it, and it's cheap.

But I'll tell you right now, if I have radio problems with a radio I paid good money for and has the correct documentation, whenever YOUR radio is turned on, and no other times... YOUR radio will be removed from MY problem.
Lol'd at the bold part
+1 for the second part
Old 02-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ridepate
You don't have a clue what you're talking about. I raced 1/4 scale gas boats with one.

IMPBA# 20617S.... On an off-shore course @ more than 1000ft away standing with every brand in the book. Never a problem.

Agree!!! He's probably Spittrum lover.......
Since you want to do the edit response instead of... RESPONDING.

Great, you and nobody else that day had a problem, good job, it's not the same story everywhere.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Tech Adept

Since you want to do the edit response instead of... RESPONDING.

Great, you and nobody else that day had a problem, good job, it's not the same story everywhere.
It was not "That-day". It was hundreds of laps/days.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Tech Adept

And this is just a sticker right???
We'll just agree to disagree....I'd like to see you remove my radio..........

Old 02-25-2012, 01:06 AM
Tech Master

Unsure if they are currently but previously that radio was banned here as it caused issues.

Also that lipo also wasn't ROAR approved not sure if it is now just check carefully as you may not be allowed to use it.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:29 AM
Tech Regular

I used a old Acoms 2.4ghz to race before i bought my Futaba 3PKS. I was still beating the guys with their Spektrum DX3R, Airtronics M11x, Futaba 4PKS and like.
Won 95% of races entered in my club with that Acoms. Got alot of heat for using so cheap radio, but who cares as long as you beat them. Finally got the 3PKS because the deal was too good to pass. Tested Spektrum modules in it both the grey and the digital one. Ended up using the Corona CT3F and CR3D reciver.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corona-RC-Mo...item5ae52faa10

Got 10 recivers for it, and guess what.... I still am on top at my track with module that cost 28 USD incl. shipping. Also the servos i use it Bluebirds.
No failed, and fast enough for both F1, touring, drifing and mini.

ESC's used Hobbywing Xerun and Ezrun. All at my club use same.
Our rules say same equipment, so we decided on cheap HK stuff to get people in. And guess what, since 2008 no esc has failed us, no motor has burned. In F1 and mini we run ezrun 13T with 25A/35A esc. Touring is 17.5T Xerun with 60A esc, turbo allowed. Only thing we prefer is that people use Tamiya cars, since all run same cars spare parts are no problem. We borrow off each other. We have no hobbyshop in town, we have member with more cars and parts than any shop i been too.

We did this to make the playing field level. I can afford to buy the best, but why should i? It should not matter how much you spend but how good you are at driving and setting up the car. When i'm at the track i use more time helping others with their setup than i use on my own cars. I do my homework at home. After every racemeeting i take my cars apart and clean, lube, change parts and set it up again ready for next race.

Because of this we have an healty mix of young and old members. Youngest is 9 years old and oldest is 64 years. This is the only place they can compete on equal terms and have equal fun, that is what this is about. Not all are pros, some have this as a hobby....

Sorry for any grammer or spelling mistakes. English is not my native language, norwegian is.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The flysky is really close to getting banned at the local track I race at due to the interference with the Spek radios (that the shop sells). I run a old 75 mhz JR Z1, so no problems here.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:53 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timbulb
For elctronics,

Pay now or pay later... over and over again.

Spend some money on one, or keep spending money for a whole bunch.

You get what ya pay for.

etc, etc, etc..
This might have been the case 3-5 years ago, but it is not the case now days. As long as you know what you are buying, a lot of money can be saved now and you will have no failures with them. Bluebird servos, Hobbywing esc and motors, Speed Passion esc and motors, Turnigy batteries esc's and motors all produce gear good enough and more than reliable enough for most club racers, toss in 3racing and Onfa for chassis and you can put together a damn fine outfit for a club racer at less than 1/2 the cost of name brand gear.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Regular

Think about this...

Hobbywing makes esc's for Speed Passion
Hobbywing makes esc's for Team Orion
Hobbywing makes esc's for Venom

And the list goes on and on and on...

Atleast we buy the orginals.

Would you buy this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ansmann-W6-2...item20bfed6e5b

Or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FS-GT3B-2-4G...item46014194e2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.