Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fix My Driving/Setup (w/video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

We have a race this weekend. I'll try and get a few people to wear the GoPro for a heat and post the videos.

What frame setting did you use? I like the aspect ratio, not super fish eyed.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by peter_robinson
We have a race this weekend. I'll try and get a few people to wear the GoPro for a heat and post the videos.

What frame setting did you use? I like the aspect ratio, not super fish eyed.
1080P 30FPS, medium FoV setting. I find the camera needs to be pointed more upright than you might expect to keep the car in the frame. It helps to practice with it a few times and get an idea of what angle it should be at.

The narrow FoV setting might work okay if you're not as close to the track as we are. But it's harder to get it right and keep the car in the frame. Only the HD2 has the FoV setting, you're stuck with the fisheye on the original.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

what id like to see are camera phone pics of people wearing this thing on their head...
Old 03-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Great video, nice driving.
As a matter of interest what is your FDR for 13.5 blinkey
Old 03-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by notsocrazybrit
Great video, nice driving.
As a matter of interest what is your FDR for 13.5 blinkey
Thanks. That was actually 13.5 boosted using an LRP SXX-SSv2 for both of us. Winner ran a Reedy, I ran a Thunder Power.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So did any of the input help you get any faster or more consistent?
Old 03-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
So did any of the input help you get any faster or more consistent?
Definitely for me, but that all went out the window with boost. It's like starting over in some ways.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Definitely for me, but that all went out the window with boost. It's like starting over in some ways.
I can relate to that. I'm trying to transition to 13.5 boosted from 17.5 blinky.

Good luck with your racing. Keep the video's coming.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
1080P 30FPS, medium FoV setting. I find the camera needs to be pointed more upright than you might expect to keep the car in the frame. It helps to practice with it a few times and get an idea of what angle it should be at.

The narrow FoV setting might work okay if you're not as close to the track as we are. But it's harder to get it right and keep the car in the frame. Only the HD2 has the FoV setting, you're stuck with the fisheye on the original.
Have you tried a lower res at higher frame rate?

I notice when some higher res vids are put on youtube the video is not completely smooth, is that Youtube causing the problem?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Tech Lord

I haven't tried messing with the frame rate, I think there's a 60FPS option but I thought that was for slow motion? I'll read through the manual and see what's up. I do think YouTube's conversion process hurts video quality.

I think it was you that asked about gearing? With 35 degrees of motor timing on the TP 13.5, I was geared at 6.15FDR. ESC was 0,6,7,0. The guy that won was geared a tooth higher with a Reedy Sonic. I think he ran 0,6,9,?. Not sure about motor timing. He's on here as artwork, maybe he'll chime in.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LloydLoar
If you want the updated 13.5 boosted version with Mario's great commentating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiGngYImkIk
That actually reminds me of the way I drive.

Looks pretty good actually. You, like me, are very good at getting reeeaaaalllly close to the pipes to save time. Its all great for half a race until you bump yourself off the line. In 1/12 I did pretty well because of the corner speed they carry but when I started racing mod buggy offroad, I had trouble finding the success I once had in 1/12. With that style of driving I was having a lot of trouble getting out of the corners quickly. I had to learn to get into the corners smoother and make sure I was well on the power at an earlier apex than I was used to.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:00 PM
Tech Lord

Really good tires (Sweep Kitty Rugs) helped me overcome some craptacular driving. 13.5 boosted is fun, but I'm gonna try a slower mod (like a 9.5) with more linear throttle. I enjoy a bit more speed, but the way power comes in with boost is difficult for me to get used to. I'd prefer a more direct correlation between how much you squeeze the trigger and how fast the car moves. It's harder up front because you can't mash the throttle in the infield, but I think I could be more consistent after some practice because the power delivery is more predictable. Boost tricks me into holding on for too long and overshooting because it keeps accelerating.

Anyway, I'm not particularly proud of the driving in that video, but I'm glad I managed to not have any major incidents in spite of being out of my league power wise.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

When posting a video like this its better to have an "average" race than that magical race that only happens once every 6 months.

Here's a good example of getting too close:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6wOjomziGQ

I'm on TQ in the white and teal and stuff it in the first corner. Couple laps in I get punted up by the drivers stand and wind up almost a lap down until I close just out of the lead in the last couple laps.