Wiki Posts
Search

Brushed motor problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Brushed motor problem

Perhaps someone can help me with this...

Ran my used M18 for the first time on Friday and it ran just fine. At the end of the session, I realized that the FWD and Brake on my Spektrum DX3 were set to zero, so I upped them to the factory setting, which are both 125, and ran the car for like a minute or so. It ran fine.

I tried to run my car yesterday afternoon after charging up the battery and while the steering worked just fine, the motor wouldn't turn at all. I know the ESC is receiving the signals, because it blinks as it should under part throttle and full throttle. The brake doesn't seem to work.

The battery is old, but I cycled it a few times and it definitely holds a charge - but I realize it still could be bad.

While I was fussing with the car, I noticed that if I press the throttle, either a little or a lot, and flick the wheels, the motor turns over and the car runs - as long as the wheels keep turning. If the car stops, I'm back at square one and the motor won't turnover unless I flick the wheels.

So what's up? Is it my battery, motor or something else?

The ESC is the XMC300, stock motor, receiver is SR3500, and the battery is a 5-cell Nimh receiver pack that I re-purposed and attached 14G wires and a Deans connector.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Sounds like the brushes might be binding, or the commutator might be dirty. Remove the motor, clean the insides with motor spray, allow it to dry and reinstall the motor. If the car moves under its own power, you've solved the problem. If not, you might need to replace the brushes if the motor has an open endbell, or replace the motor if replacing the brushes isn't an option.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Perhaps someone can help me with this...

Ran my used M18 for the first time on Friday and it ran just fine. At the end of the session, I realized that the FWD and Brake on my Spektrum DX3 were set to zero, so I upped them to the factory setting, which are both 125, and ran the car for like a minute or so. It ran fine.

I tried to run my car yesterday afternoon after charging up the battery and while the steering worked just fine, the motor wouldn't turn at all. I know the ESC is receiving the signals, because it blinks as it should under part throttle and full throttle. The brake doesn't seem to work.

The battery is old, but I cycled it a few times and it definitely holds a charge - but I realize it still could be bad.

While I was fussing with the car, I noticed that if I press the throttle, either a little or a lot, and flick the wheels, the motor turns over and the car runs - as long as the wheels keep turning. If the car stops, I'm back at square one and the motor won't turnover unless I flick the wheels.u

So what's up? Is it my battery, motor or something else?

The ESC is the XMC300, stock motor, receiver is SR3500, and the battery is a 5-cell Nimh receiver pack that I re-purposed and attached 14G wires and a Deans connector.

Thanks!

Some escs do not like the throttle set to the 125 adjustment. Put your radio back to 100 and recalibrate the esc. You may also try cleaning the motor with a good electric spray. Just let it dry and reoil the bearings before you use it. Also your brushes could be worn or dirty.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks for the advice guys.