Like Tree1Likes

T.O.P. PHOTON EX

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
its been quiet in here...

i half built my TOP gear diff again -- this time using a different o-ring (SPEC-R X-Ring SPR010-OR). the inner diameter of the SPEC-R o-rings is much smaller than the TOP ones, but the outside diameter is pretty similar. i had to smash the large metal shim and pin back onto the outdrive as the X-Ring is so big. i have the diff sitting with my same 15wt Losi oil installed. lets see what happens.
i did this last week. havnt ran it yet - due to health and weather.
But on good note it hasnt leaked yet...
Although the extra drag due to tighter orings (xrings) may cause abit more tension like running slightly thicker weight oil??

Still cant wait to give this a run...
Old 05-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Tech Elite

While getting my EX together today also found the same issue with shock collars. grabbed some old one off some older V1 shocks I had around and problem solved, hope we can get top to get us all some shock collars with the correct I.D. I don't have the kyosho O-rings but installed some of the 40degree Top ones that Mike used to suggest, and the Titanium nitrade coated shafts... they seem pretty darn smooth.

Anyone else get shorted a couple of the Rod ends 14.5mm don't have enough to complete the servo steering rod, but used some 4.8mm stuff I had around, what about the severe angle the servo steering rod has coming from the servo saver to the steering cranks seems awful steep was considering shiming the pivot ball at the steering crank to take some of the angle out????

after lunch heading back up to the track to keep chuging along got to get this girl woke up and some laps this weekend before heading off to Reedy Wed night.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hi mark - I dont think I got shorted rod ends but I did use the 18.5mm ends along with a 14.5mm end for each camber link to get more "meat" on the rod.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:07 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MAD916
While getting my EX together today also found the same issue with shock collars. grabbed some old one off some older V1 shocks I had around and problem solved, hope we can get top to get us all some shock collars with the correct I.D. I don't have the kyosho O-rings but installed some of the 40degree Top ones that Mike used to suggest, and the Titanium nitrade coated shafts... they seem pretty darn smooth.

Anyone else get shorted a couple of the Rod ends 14.5mm don't have enough to complete the servo steering rod, but used some 4.8mm stuff I had around, what about the severe angle the servo steering rod has coming from the servo saver to the steering cranks seems awful steep was considering shiming the pivot ball at the steering crank to take some of the angle out????

after lunch heading back up to the track to keep chuging along got to get this girl woke up and some laps this weekend before heading off to Reedy Wed night.
Hey mark
You brought one ...you lucky guy..I thought you said you wouldn't...just giving you a bad time..congrat you got one...that;'s cool
Old 05-18-2012, 07:39 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When you guys say you are using 15 k losi oil...is that shock oil ? I didn't know they made diff oil that light ..
Old 05-18-2012, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bpalmer
When you guys say you are using 15 k losi oil...is that shock oil ? I didn't know they made diff oil that light ..
15 wt shock oil is correct. I've been running shock oil in the rear diff for about a year now. You can feel the difference on the track between the weights. I usually run 20-40 wt on asphalt. Obviously with the lighter oil you have to be more diligent when building the diff to prevent leakage. I coat everything with Associated green slime, including the screws. Still holding strong after two weeks.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

the SPEC-R x-rings make the gear diff feel painfully tight on the gears. i might rebuild it with the non-xring SPEC-R o-rings to see how that performs.

i think once we can figure out this o-ring situation the gear diff will be fantastic...
Old 05-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I know when I build my diff, I had some Mugen diff orings sitting on my bench, and noted they looked close in size, but were a softer grade of oring, I need to pull my out of the EX, so I plan on fitting the shims left out of the kit, and trying the Mugen orings to see how well they work, cause I know my MTX5 diffs don't leak out the outdrives at all.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Car was much better today. I've just recently started running open mod, so I'm not sure how much I can blame on the car and how much to blame on my driving style. After a few changes today, I managed to TQ with almost a lap up on 2nd. Previous hot lap for the track was a 15.9. I ran several 15.5s today without feeling like I had to push the car hard. Still have a lot to learn about the car and several tuning options to go through before I call it good, but so far I'm pretty impressed with the reaction to setup changes and the feel of the car on the track.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:14 PM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
15 wt shock oil is correct. I've been running shock oil in the rear diff for about a year now. You can feel the difference on the track between the weights. I usually run 20-40 wt on asphalt. Obviously with the lighter oil you have to be more diligent when building the diff to prevent leakage. I coat everything with Associated green slime, including the screws. Still holding strong after two weeks.
Isn't way too light for mod? What size/type track are you running?
It's the first time I read someone using such light oil, usually is 700-2000!!
Old 05-19-2012, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I took EJ's suggestion and soaked my o rings in motor spray for a while. My gear diff barely leaked at all. I had about 10 runs on it in 13.5 blinky and had no issues. 30 wt Losi shock oil feels really good.

I think we have some pretty good base setups to work with now. I got my 13.5 car what I think is good. My mod car not really sure. It feels pretty decent but I just suck at driving modified.

I'm feeling pretty good about the Reedy,

Hanulec's car was really good in 17.5 and 13.5, I was impressed. He was on pace with what I would consider a mediocre motor package in 17.5. I'm sure he'll get that figured out though and be a contender in 17.5.

Racing at Jackson was close today in 17.5. I love watching that class there. The top 5 were within 2 seconds of the Tq (Jeff Cuffs).
Old 05-20-2012, 02:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I tried Mikes latest Jackson setup today and it was a VAST improvement. I used the kit roll setting and left the front swaybar on
It was low traction so probably should have lowered the roll. But next weekend I'll be christening the chassis with its first 'Away trip' on a completely different surface, which should work nicely with the current setup

Thanks Hanulec!

Also, I ran my gear diff with automotive bearing grease (Thick, sticky) for a pack to get the grease right into all the nooks in the outdrive housing and around the o ring. After re filling the diff with oil it was much better and only leaked a small amount.
I'm thinking about soaking the rings in paragon or wd40.... Will let you all know how that goes.

Phill
Old 05-20-2012, 04:48 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nnick
Isn't way too light for mod? What size/type track are you running?
It's the first time I read someone using such light oil, usually is 700-2000!!
I was just confirming that they were talking about 15wt shock oil. I have been running 35 wt in mod. I used it as a starting point because it was lower than what I used on carpet and heavier than my norm on asphalt. After I get the suspension where I want it, I will start changing oil in the diff.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Hi Phill - i'm happy my setup(s) helped a bit.

I'm really excited to run at the Reedy Race this upcoming weekend. Now I just need to get a bunch of stuff prepared. Off to mount bodies now....
Old 05-20-2012, 03:04 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Are they still Out of stock or Back Order ? ( Photon EX)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.