Wiki Posts
Search

2012 R.O.A.R Carpet Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
It was definitely not clear because drivers were told to both wait for the marshal to put them back over the board and to wait until the car behind them passed and drop back in line. The marshal was right there to throw him over.

In my opinion jumping the board should be treated as though the car is stuck against the board it jumped over.
I must be getting old because I agree with Rick more and more.

I know I was not there but I saw what happened on liverc and while I could give a crap about who won I have no horse in that race. And dont think Max did anything wrong if that is what he was instructed to do in the Drivers meeting. And I know Max is a very clean racer.

This is more a commentary on the strange rulings that Roar comes up with.

Sending your car over a board should result in a penalty of some sort. I know I have done it many times. Hell I just wanted to see something go to a 3rd A main to make it interesting.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

After my main, I had to leave to take care of an errand and by the time I got back, the F1 A-main had already been run. It is still not clear to me what actually happened (haven't seen the video yet). However, if this class was not exhibition and had a triple A-main, this could have been settled on the track instead of by decision or forum chatter (redemption for one of the two guys involved).

This was my first ROAR Nationals race (but have attended many sponsored regional ROAR nitro races) and had a great time and experience. I hope the F1 class grows and becomes a staple with the organization.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

delete

Last edited by 1airborne; 03-23-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by 303slowdown
Thanks to Mike and his crew and congrats to all of those who left a national champ
If you haven't already looked at it, here's the link to a photo album of pics from the 2012 ROAR Carpet Nats.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
I was lined up directly to the left of the drivers stand, waiting for the 12th scale B-main while the F1 A-main was taking place. I was standing directly behind and to the left of the pole behind turn marshal cone #4.

What I saw was an aggressive, but relatively normal, racing move from the silver car. He saw the black car tap, there was a small gap... and he went for it. From my vantage point, there was enough room to make the pass. It was too close to call what happened next. I can't honestly say I saw the black car close the door... but I didn't see the silver car do anything but hold his line (the inside line), either.

If this was any other class, this would be a non issue... as it would have just been side-to-side contact, and the corner would probably have been awarded to the silver car.
This is very reminiscent of the controversy surrounding the finish at Suzuka between Senna and Prost that decided the championship. Prost tried to shut the door on Senna after Senna saw the gap and took it.

Last edited by Magnet Top; 03-20-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Or how about when Max Blew out flipped over the board and didnt lose any time. Then passed Chicky for the lead and the win? I saw questionable calls at the Asphalt nats at Jackson on the part of Roar in many aspects and I see it has continued at this race.

I don't blame Max for this because I would of done the same thing but maybe roar should of made him wait a split second before tucking in right where he was before he hit the wall and sent his car flying into the next lane??
Originally Posted by al dente
Max did EXACTLY what he was told to do in the drivers meeting.
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
It was definitely not clear because drivers were told to both wait for the marshal to put them back over the board and to wait until the car behind them passed and drop back in line. The marshal was right there to throw him over.

In my opinion jumping the board should be treated as though the car is stuck against the board it jumped over.
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
I must be getting old because I agree with Rick more and more.

I know I was not there but I saw what happened on liverc and while I could give a crap about who won I have no horse in that race. And dont think Max did anything wrong if that is what he was instructed to do in the Drivers meeting. And I know Max is a very clean racer.

This is more a commentary on the strange rulings that Roar comes up with.

Sending your car over a board should result in a penalty of some sort. I know I have done it many times. Hell I just wanted to see something go to a 3rd A main to make it interesting.
I was the Marshal that was going after Max's car and as I reached for it the Announcer told Max to go. I felt it was a little soon but if I got to him before the the Announcer told him to go and put him back over the wall he would of been 2 to 3 corners behind Paul. I did tell Bob that I felt it was a little to soon and he told me I did the what I was told by the Announcer
Old 03-20-2012, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I wonder if its to late to protest Juan's non factory chassis from last years carpet nats....ummmmm
Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

To set the final story straight, both Kody and I talked to ROAR after the race. The 2nd pass was not an issue...it might have been aggressive but the door was open. It was the first attempt 2 corners earlier. Since his front wing went up and over my rear tire, rolling me over and onto the dirty part of the track, ROAR said that he should have been awarded a stop and go penalty. That hit put my car out in the dirt, causing me to have to battle the last lap with dirty tires.

So, ROAR made a decision based on the first hit, not the one before the finish line. Yes, I agree they should have called it right as it happened but didn't. That's the unfortunate part.

Kody drove a great race and his car was on fire. Mine went away so all I could do is slow down and hold as tight a line as possible. No hard feelings and I hope to get a rematch soon that would not end in drama.

Last edited by TPhalen; 03-20-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artwork
You left one important point out that a lot of people missed...and that was Tony driving full wood into the end of the straight away after the race because he was so pissed off that he lost (or got hacked, not sure which one).

Just part of racing I guess, but needless to say ROAR had to decide what the right call was. I think in the end it was a racing incident and the win should have gone to Kody, but the Referee clearly thought otherwise. It was a great race regardless and made for some exciting speculation afterwards.

It is really too bad that a national championship had to be decided by a ROAR official, but sometimes that is how it goes.
And this would be incorrect. I did not drive my car into the boards at the end of the race. I passed the start/finish line and starting walking off. When walking down the stairs I realized at that point that it was inches from the board and still moving at speed.

I'm not one to try and destroy my cars.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TPhalen
And this would be incorrect. I did not drive my car into the boards at the end of the race. I passed the start/finish line and starting walking off. When walking down the stairs I realized at that point that it was inches from the board and still moving at speed.

I was standing right where you hit and it was hard (surprised the hell out of me)...Figured it was part of the normal "I got screwed" Tantrum we have all done at one time or another. The rematch should be epic...
Old 03-21-2012, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

I'm pretty sure kody is coming to run at the Mile High Indoor Championships. and f1 is on the docket. i will also be there, so 3 a main fi cars from nats to start it off should be a good race. there will also be 2 other amain vintage cars there as well, one of witch was on the podium with you. not to mention multiple a main cars from wgt, 1/12 and tc as well.

mile high indoor championships, a roar region 10 regional, april 13-15. presented by the colorado on road rc club.

thursday open practice, thursday night club race, friday open practice, sat 4 quails, sunday one qual and trip a mains.

sounds like the perfect place for said rematch.

i, pretty sure you should be there.......all of you.

sorry to hijack the thread, but it seemed so right
Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TPhalen
Originally Posted by Kevin CBR
From what I have read, I feel the right decision was made (can not watch the video, You Tube is blocked in China) and yes, I can be considered partial because I am a UF1 racer and raced with Tony P. However, a comment you made on one post was very important to me, the fact the second incident was just one second later (if I read correct). What people forget, especially on carpet, is when a car gets hacked out and rolls, they usually end up on the dirty part of the track and the hacker is still on the clean line. Yeah the hacker waits but their car now has an advantage as they can immediately attack because the hackee's tires are dirty and usually takes a couple of corners to clean up. Good chance the "tap" that Tony made that others say allowed Kody to make a clean inside move (the second pass attempt) was a result of the immediate pressure from the car with clean tires on the lead car with dirty tires. I have had this happen to me before with a similar result and the car behind thinks it was okay because they waited on the first incident not realizing they actually still had gained an unfair advantage because of their previous hack move.

Panda
That's pretty much how it happened. Had Kody been given a stop and go there would not have been a second attempt. Kodys 2nd attempt was aggressive but would have been acceptable had he not hit me 2 corners earlier.
Yes. That is exactly how I saw it happen.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

I did have a horse in this race and Kody in a friend and a fellow NW driver... but will also say Kody pulled off to the Dirty line while he waitied for Tony, and it appears that some of Tonys faster laps came near the end of the race so it dosen't look like the car slowed down....

it also shows that with open wheels all you got to do is hold a tight line and it will be about impossible to make a clean pass....

At any rate it was a great race, Tony held up to the pressure.
and as they say there are three sides to every story.....
yours... mine... and the truth
Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by al dente
I'm pretty sure kody is coming to run at the Mile High Indoor Championships. and f1 is on the docket. i will also be there, so 3 a main fi cars from nats to start it off should be a good race. there will also be 2 other amain vintage cars there as well, one of witch was on the podium with you. not to mention multiple a main cars from wgt, 1/12 and tc as well.

mile high indoor championships, a roar region 10 regional, april 13-15. presented by the colorado on road rc club.

thursday open practice, thursday night club race, friday open practice, sat 4 quails, sunday one qual and trip a mains.

sounds like the perfect place for said rematch.

i, pretty sure you should be there.......all of you.

sorry to hijack the thread, but it seemed so right
I'd go to this event just to watch the rematch in F1 A-Main on Sunday, April 15. I've never been to CORRC in Lakewood, Colorado, so this will be an adventure to see a new track. It takes me approx. 13 hours to drive from Dallas, TX to Denver, CO so I will have to start driving at 6pm on Sat. Apr. 14.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I often wonder if people realize what they write when they post. If the decision was made on the first past then its even a worse decision. Kody also was on dirty tires as he pulled off line to give the position back. And the lap time from the last lap shows no indication of dirty tires. The comment... He should have been given a stop and go doesn't make sense. is roar saying. Because we didn't call it during the race were going to call it after???
And yes kody is a friend, but that doesn't change what I just read.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.