Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Protoform Stratus 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Join ROAR...thats really funny. We can't get them to return calls to the track they awarded the On Road Nats to. ROAR is a complete embarrasment to US R/C racing. Did you know that not one single ROAR official attended the Worlds? The former prez was there as an IFMAR Offical. He was appalled that no one showed.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Tech Adept

The 1/12th scale bodies are starting to resemble slot car bodies. They are not realistic.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Dodge Stratus 3.0 THE BEST OF EVERYTHING

Well we have a winner!! Dale Epp has been producing race winning bodies for years...he surely did not dissapoint this time!! I tested this body for the first time last night at a club race and it is an excellent addition to the Protoform lineup!! Changing nothing else but the body on the car setup, I went just as fast if not faster than with ANY other body I've tested. The Stratus 3.0 has more turn in steering yet a nice smooth consistent feel. It's everything you could ask for! Very fast yet comfortable drive.. Look for it on store shelfs soon.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Re: Dodge Stratus 3.0 THE BEST OF EVERYTHING

Originally posted by Eric Desrosiers
Well we have a winner!! Dale Epp has been producing race winning bodies for years...he surely did not dissapoint this time!! I tested this body for the first time last night at a club race and it is an excellent addition to the Protoform lineup!! Changing nothing else but the body on the car setup, I went just as fast if not faster than with ANY other body I've tested. The Stratus 3.0 has more turn in steering yet a nice smooth consistent feel. It's everything you could ask for! Very fast yet comfortable drive.. Look for it on store shelfs soon.
NUFF said-
Old 12-16-2004, 11:13 AM
Tech Elite

Here's some fun reading if we are supposed to me following what the SCCA touring car series is running.... http://www.sccapro.com/05rulebook/appendix.pdf
Old 12-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally posted by AdrianM
...Full scale touring car racing is nothing compared to F1 and NASCAR. ...
I'm not sure what you meant by this part of your comment???

Would care to elaborate?
Old 12-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

I also agree with AdrianM - full-size touring car just isn't the force it was 5 years ago - and the requirement for a car to have competed in a full size race series is becoming harder and harder to realistically enforce.

Let's have 2 door coupes and 4 door saloons - but no sports/GT shells.

But let's also keep a close eye on pure "handling" shells. We do need these cars to engage with the viewing public to make people want to actually start racing them. 1/8th circuit cars and 1/12ths look like nothing that is actually raced. I've no doubt that the Stratus 3 is a great running shell - but that long bootlid and deep splitter is just too far from reality IMHO.

The BRCA are still quite strict on body eligibility - a position I commend - but the UK is a small country in a global market, so no manufacturer is going to introduce a new "conservative" shell when the "handling" shells are what 90% of the world wants.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Most people who are new to the hobby think 1/12th scale cars are the coolest looking cars...
Old 12-16-2004, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

I disagree that we need our cars to look like replicas of the full size car to get people interested in the sport. It its cool that if your a Dodge fan or a Honda fan you can get a body "based" on what you like but most racers could care lees if it said Ford, Chevy, Hyundai, Yugo or AMC Pacer on the package as long as the body worked well. R/C offroad cars look absolutley nothing like a full size offroad car, when was the last time you saw a full size offroad car with a huge wing and 4wd? And last time I checked, full size offroad cars didnt have 22" wheels.

I race R/C racecars, not scale models.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

It is my opinion that restricting our shells to 4 door "taxi cab" (TC-haha) looking cars is redicoulous. I would love to run a Diablo GTR or the like. At least in the 200mm class they should be GT type cars.

KB
Old 12-16-2004, 12:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

At the KO Grand Prix there were quite a few people running the Chevron Models Bugatti bodies and they looked really good out on the track. I think it'd be awesome to see an A main full of bodies like that on the track.

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 12-16-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by sosidge
I also agree with AdrianM - full-size touring car just isn't the force it was 5 years ago - and the requirement for a car to have competed in a full size race series is becoming harder and harder to realistically enforce.

Let's have 2 door coupes and 4 door saloons - but no sports/GT shells.

But let's also keep a close eye on pure "handling" shells. We do need these cars to engage with the viewing public to make people want to actually start racing them. 1/8th circuit cars and 1/12ths look like nothing that is actually raced. I've no doubt that the Stratus 3 is a great running shell - but that long bootlid and deep splitter is just too far from reality IMHO.

The BRCA are still quite strict on body eligibility - a position I commend - but the UK is a small country in a global market, so no manufacturer is going to introduce a new "conservative" shell when the "handling" shells are what 90% of the world wants.
Most 1/8th scales are based on the old Can Am bodies so they have been raced, just a long time ago

Old 12-16-2004, 01:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Geppetto - I mean F1 and NASCAR have huge factory support. Lots of spectator and advertising interest. Full scale sedan racing does not have that kind of support base and thus is less interesting to the car manufacturers/factory teams. As a result we don't see a huge array of different cars running in Sedan Series.

All of Dale bodies have scale hoods and deck lids. The deck lid on the 3.0 is 2" and on the real 2005 Stratus its 20". FYI, on the ride and Yok Stratus its more like 2.5". The Ride Honda Hara used at the worlds looked like a pickup truck with a bed cover.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Maybe we should switch to bodies loosely based on NASCAR trucks which are in turn loosely based on trucks that you can buy.

Last edited by Jack Smash; 12-16-2004 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by Jack Smash
R/C offroad cars look absolutley nothing like a full size offroad car, when was the last time you saw a full size offroad car with a huge wing and 4wd? I race R/C racecars, not scale models.
....Pikes Peak hill climb? (i.e. Suzuki Escudo, which I believe was modeled from an r/c car)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.