R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2004, 10:08 AM   #31
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Join ROAR...thats really funny. We can't get them to return calls to the track they awarded the On Road Nats to. ROAR is a complete embarrasment to US R/C racing. Did you know that not one single ROAR official attended the Worlds? The former prez was there as an IFMAR Offical. He was appalled that no one showed.
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 10:14 AM   #32
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Worthington, OH
Posts: 164
Default

The 1/12th scale bodies are starting to resemble slot car bodies. They are not realistic.
Hondaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 11:14 AM   #33
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: MA
Posts: 16
Default Dodge Stratus 3.0 THE BEST OF EVERYTHING

Well we have a winner!! Dale Epp has been producing race winning bodies for years...he surely did not dissapoint this time!! I tested this body for the first time last night at a club race and it is an excellent addition to the Protoform lineup!! Changing nothing else but the body on the car setup, I went just as fast if not faster than with ANY other body I've tested. The Stratus 3.0 has more turn in steering yet a nice smooth consistent feel. It's everything you could ask for! Very fast yet comfortable drive.. Look for it on store shelfs soon.
Eric Desrosiers (Old) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 11:27 AM   #34
Tech Master
 
Keith Billanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: BUFFALO
Posts: 1,794
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Re: Dodge Stratus 3.0 THE BEST OF EVERYTHING

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Desrosiers
Well we have a winner!! Dale Epp has been producing race winning bodies for years...he surely did not dissapoint this time!! I tested this body for the first time last night at a club race and it is an excellent addition to the Protoform lineup!! Changing nothing else but the body on the car setup, I went just as fast if not faster than with ANY other body I've tested. The Stratus 3.0 has more turn in steering yet a nice smooth consistent feel. It's everything you could ask for! Very fast yet comfortable drive.. Look for it on store shelfs soon.
NUFF said-
__________________
OUT
Keith Billanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:13 PM   #35
Tech Elite
 
vtl1180ny's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Wrong Island
Posts: 4,963
Default

Here's some fun reading if we are supposed to me following what the SCCA touring car series is running.... http://www.sccapro.com/05rulebook/appendix.pdf
__________________
I still lurk....
vtl1180ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:43 PM   #36
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 1,499
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by AdrianM
...Full scale touring car racing is nothing compared to F1 and NASCAR. ...
I'm not sure what you meant by this part of your comment???

Would care to elaborate?
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:44 PM   #37
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,865
Default

I also agree with AdrianM - full-size touring car just isn't the force it was 5 years ago - and the requirement for a car to have competed in a full size race series is becoming harder and harder to realistically enforce.

Let's have 2 door coupes and 4 door saloons - but no sports/GT shells.

But let's also keep a close eye on pure "handling" shells. We do need these cars to engage with the viewing public to make people want to actually start racing them. 1/8th circuit cars and 1/12ths look like nothing that is actually raced. I've no doubt that the Stratus 3 is a great running shell - but that long bootlid and deep splitter is just too far from reality IMHO.

The BRCA are still quite strict on body eligibility - a position I commend - but the UK is a small country in a global market, so no manufacturer is going to introduce a new "conservative" shell when the "handling" shells are what 90% of the world wants.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:49 PM   #38
Moderator
 
Speedo's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,431
Default

Most people who are new to the hobby think 1/12th scale cars are the coolest looking cars...
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:56 PM   #39
Tech Elite
 
Jack Smash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,897
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

I disagree that we need our cars to look like replicas of the full size car to get people interested in the sport. It its cool that if your a Dodge fan or a Honda fan you can get a body "based" on what you like but most racers could care lees if it said Ford, Chevy, Hyundai, Yugo or AMC Pacer on the package as long as the body worked well. R/C offroad cars look absolutley nothing like a full size offroad car, when was the last time you saw a full size offroad car with a huge wing and 4wd? And last time I checked, full size offroad cars didnt have 22" wheels.

I race R/C racecars, not scale models.
__________________
Kyosho / Orion / Amain.com / Protek / MIP /
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:23 PM   #40
Tech Master
 
Keith Billanti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: BUFFALO
Posts: 1,794
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

It is my opinion that restricting our shells to 4 door "taxi cab" (TC-haha) looking cars is redicoulous. I would love to run a Diablo GTR or the like. At least in the 200mm class they should be GT type cars.

KB
__________________
OUT
Keith Billanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 01:39 PM   #41
Tech Champion
 
Jon Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 9,658
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

At the KO Grand Prix there were quite a few people running the Chevron Models Bugatti bodies and they looked really good out on the track. I think it'd be awesome to see an A main full of bodies like that on the track.

Last edited by Jon Kerr; 12-16-2004 at 04:16 PM.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:36 PM   #42
Tech Elite
 
AMGRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,939
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by sosidge
I also agree with AdrianM - full-size touring car just isn't the force it was 5 years ago - and the requirement for a car to have competed in a full size race series is becoming harder and harder to realistically enforce.

Let's have 2 door coupes and 4 door saloons - but no sports/GT shells.

But let's also keep a close eye on pure "handling" shells. We do need these cars to engage with the viewing public to make people want to actually start racing them. 1/8th circuit cars and 1/12ths look like nothing that is actually raced. I've no doubt that the Stratus 3 is a great running shell - but that long bootlid and deep splitter is just too far from reality IMHO.

The BRCA are still quite strict on body eligibility - a position I commend - but the UK is a small country in a global market, so no manufacturer is going to introduce a new "conservative" shell when the "handling" shells are what 90% of the world wants.
Most 1/8th scales are based on the old Can Am bodies so they have been raced, just a long time ago

AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:58 PM   #43
Tech Champion
 
AdrianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,914
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Geppetto - I mean F1 and NASCAR have huge factory support. Lots of spectator and advertising interest. Full scale sedan racing does not have that kind of support base and thus is less interesting to the car manufacturers/factory teams. As a result we don't see a huge array of different cars running in Sedan Series.

All of Dale bodies have scale hoods and deck lids. The deck lid on the 3.0 is 2" and on the real 2005 Stratus its 20". FYI, on the ride and Yok Stratus its more like 2.5". The Ride Honda Hara used at the worlds looked like a pickup truck with a bed cover.
__________________
Adrian Martinez
What I run: Schumacher Mi5/Associated RC10R5.1/Associated RC12R5.2/Futaba/HobbyWing/Team EA Motorsports/BSR Racing
Where I run: Florida Indoor R/C Complex/Thunder Racing/Florida On Road State Series
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:05 PM   #44
Tech Elite
 
Jack Smash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,897
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Maybe we should switch to bodies loosely based on NASCAR trucks which are in turn loosely based on trucks that you can buy.

__________________
Kyosho / Orion / Amain.com / Protek / MIP /

Last edited by Jack Smash; 12-16-2004 at 03:10 PM.
Jack Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:20 PM   #45
Tech Elite
 
Racing4Evo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,118
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Smash
R/C offroad cars look absolutley nothing like a full size offroad car, when was the last time you saw a full size offroad car with a huge wing and 4wd? I race R/C racecars, not scale models.
....Pikes Peak hill climb? (i.e. Suzuki Escudo, which I believe was modeled from an r/c car)
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Stratus-Hpi, protoform(orig, 2.0, 3.0) i_got_m8_4_$85 Electric On-Road 5 05-07-2005 02:55 PM
Protoform Stratus 2.0 190mm NEW seamus0g R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 01-15-2005 11:54 AM
Protoform Stratus Discontinued??? Hugo Electric On-Road 21 03-22-2004 12:20 PM
protoform stratus 2.0 wing ongbenghui Electric On-Road 6 08-08-2002 04:01 PM
Protoform Stratus 2.0 coolrcdad Electric On-Road 12 07-08-2002 03:19 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:26 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net