Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR Rule 8.2.3 regarding shorty packs

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

We're still trying to un** things after the boosted ESC fiasco. Let's ride this little resurgence in on-road without a bunch of wild changes and see where things go. I'm not a huge ROAR fan, but I like this move.

Last edited by DavidR; 11-15-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Language...
Old 11-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
We're still trying to un** things after the boosted ESC fiasco. Let's ride this little resurgence in on-road without a bunch of wild changes and see where things go. I'm not a huge ROAR fan, but I like this move.
+1

Last edited by DavidR; 11-15-2011 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Language
Old 11-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yet another ridiculous rule. Remember when we stumbled headlong into brushless, because it was gonna make everything easier, and cheaper, and it would totally level the playing field....... We went ahead and drank that Kool-Aid, and whined that the crap we were being sold was slow. Then came the boost. Fast, easy, and if you weren't reckless, durable. Now we're stuffing the technology back in the jar, and going back to non-adjustable stuff, and GIANT fdr's.

Since we've "fixed" that problem, and everything's equal now, ROAR has suddenly decided to get pro-active and begin banning chassis innovations that actually fit into the existing rule structure at the time of their release.....

Can we go back to them ignoring things until the "masses" start demanding that the cool stuff be banned?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Yet another ridiculous rule. Remember when we stumbled headlong into brushless, because it was gonna make everything easier, and cheaper, and it would totally level the playing field....... We went ahead and drank that Kool-Aid, and whined that the crap we were being sold was slow. Then came the boost. Fast, easy, and if you weren't reckless, durable. Now we're stuffing the technology back in the jar, and going back to non-adjustable stuff, and GIANT fdr's.

Since we've "fixed" that problem, and everything's equal now, ROAR has suddenly decided to get pro-active and begin banning chassis innovations that actually fit into the existing rule structure at the time of their release.....

Can we go back to them ignoring things until the "masses" start demanding that the coo stuff be banned?
So you waited too long to sell off your brushed stuff then?
Old 11-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I do not like this rule move. If ROAR wanted to limit the shrinking of Lipo in size and capacity the Main race length could be increased. Considering current main race times were dictated by battery capacity and usage during a race we can go much longer now.

Restricting chassis and making some old chassis that already require the smaller lipo's does nothing for equalizing the race field or minimizing the cost of racing. It may slow some true progress and the reality that lower capacity battery drops voltage sooner becomes a huge issue in spec classes that will ultimatly controll capacity and size without additional rules.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
So you waited too long to sell off your brushed stuff then?
Nah, after watching so many early GTB's melt I figured I had better hold onto it. Now it's working well in silver can classes. You know, the classes that are supposed to be slow
Old 11-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest

Can we go back to them ignoring things until the "masses" start demanding that the cool stuff be banned?

Please don't hijack the thread. You are luring all the trolls out.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Lotus
I'm not exactly promoting "anything goes"; I'm saying that certain changes should be made to allow rc car design to grow and not be stagnant. If you allow smaller sized batteries and motors it allows the designers more freedom to create new and potentially better designs!
Well, now I think that this is a bit of a contradiction. Opening up battery size and motor size will allow designers the freedom to significantly optimize the weight balance of something like a 1/10th TC. Switching to smaller batteries and motors will also reduce the weight of the cars by a large amount, which might mean that we can now use smaller servos, and tires with a different width, and maybe new smaller bearings. Its a chain reaction all the way down and before you know it nearly every part that's in your tool box is obsolete.

All racers will be forced to move to this new motor and battery layout as old cars won't be competitive with 380 motors and small batteries (or big [current] batteries for that matter). So, then everyone at the track has to change chassis, and batteries and motors, and maybe even servos.
I realize that most of the people in this thread have yearly racing budgets in excess of $2000, but there are people out there who don't have those kinds of resources at their disposal. Those people would be: Young racers, racers in school, new racers, and low income racers. Do we want to exclude all of these people?

We need to have consistent standards that last for years to make truly strong racing classes. Completely revamping the fundamentals of class every 4 years doesn't help it grow. Look at 1/8th buggy- same engines, tire sizes, fuel tank sizes, servo sizes, etc for over a decade and it is probably the most popular racing class worldwide.

Also, I recognize all those names listed in your other post (big F1 fan too!). I think that going to 380 motors and smaller lipos would reset some classes totally; a bit like the F1 rule shift from 08-09.

Racing is all about relative speed in the end anyhow. The quest to see who can build the best mouse trap within the same set of regulations is the game. I love technology and it's advancement, but when it's in the RC chassis field is it really necessary to advance it at a rapid pace? What is the real benefit? going faster? Well, why would you really want to do that- as long as you're speed relative to anther racer is higher thats all that matters. Hitting X number of g's mid corner doesn't really matter.

Cliffnotes: I support this new rule. It will help to keep things more consistent in the chassis/battery game.

/end rant (wow, that became a long post fast)
Old 11-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

syndr0me, let's please keep this subject civil and drop the foul language please! It doesn't belong here! I'm surprised that you got that past the moderator.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by robk
You're a troll!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Tech Lord

syndr0me, let's please keep this subject civil and drop the foul language please! It doesn't belong here! I'm surprised that you got that past the moderator.
Cussing is as much a part of RC as batteries, motors and exposed butt cracks. Don't be a skirt.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Per the rule, I can run my ROAR approved shorty lipos in any of my cars as long as I can also show that a standard battery fits with no mods. As long as the battery tray in my JRX-S R is clear and I don't fill it with electronics or weights or anything that would stop a full length battery from fitting except foam pads, I can run a shorty. I just cannot go buy some yet undesigned TC chassis that will only fit a shorty.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by robk
robk, not trying to hijack the thread with the original post, just pointing out that ROAR has chosen to govern in a hyper-reactionary manner, rather than the old "let it go, and see what happens" way they have handled things in the past. Both methods are recipes for disaster.

I just don't understand how a previously sedate sanctioning body can now keep modifying it's rules nearly instantaneously, to react to perceived threats they didn't anticipate.

I feel that the biggest issue facing on-road right now is the CONSTANTLY changing regulatory aspects. If the rules could remain consistent from season to season, we might actually be able to keep this current upturn moving.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Whoever the moderator is, I ask that you do something about syndr0me and his sarcastic and rude attitude towards folks on this thread.

And by the way, syndr0me, I'm not a "skirt" because I don't lower myself to your level and resort to foul language which has no place on this forum. Show some class.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Lord

Whoever the moderator is, I ask that you do something about syndr0me and his sarcastic and rude attitude towards folks on this thread.

And by the way, syndr0me, I'm not a "skirt" because I don't lower myself to your level and resort to foul language which has no place on this forum. Show some class.
I'm a legend, son. Nobody cares about you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.