R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default ROAR Rule 8.2.3 regarding shorty packs

Interesting new rule that popped up on Friday. It reads as follows;

Rule 8.2.3
All chassis in all electric classes (except those specifically noted) MUST accept batteries up to the maximum dimensions allowed for its application. The legality of a chassis will be determined as presented to technical inspection. Chassis that require a configuration change, and/or a modification to fit a battery of maximum dimensions will not be considered legal, and the racer will be disqualified. Foam blocks/spacers are permitted to secure any size battery in its position, but the aforementioned spacers may never be attached to the chassis. The only exception is 1/8 off-road where itís common to use two battery packs to achieve the maximum 4S configuration, or to use a single 4S battery, which has a different specification. Only under these circumstances will the fitting of either configuration be considered legal, but the production chassis must still conform to batteries of the maximum allowable dimensions.

Now my interpretation of this is as follows (regarding the bold sections). A car would be presented to tech in a race ready configuration. That chassis, as presented, must be able to accept a "standard" pack as part of pre-race technical inspection. If not, it is dq'ed.

Personally I own a Gen Xi and was looking forward to running the slick in-line configuration with the shorty. This would not be possible without a re-configuration of electronics.

I have also had my eye on an Awesomatix and had planned on a configuration that would not be legal without re-configuration. I have also played around with a TA06 that by my interpretation would not meet the criteria for legality.

Thoughts? Am I just reading too far into it? Are electronics considered part of the re-configuration clause or just "chassis" components from the chassis manufacturer?

ROAR has already stated via their Facebook account that the Losi 22 already does not fit the criteria in mid-motor configuration, but again that is a chassis component configuration (wow try saying that three times fast) issue.

Mike Slaughter
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Personally, I think this ruling is a great idea. Brushless/lipo was supposed to be cheaper nad simpler, now redesigning the packs just opens another can of worms. Albeit ROAR could have fixed it easily with some minimum size deminsions in the Battery specs.

I don't think Electronics layout would be consider as chassis configuration, so as long as the structure of the chassis is as intended and will except a 'standard' pack I don't see an issue. That is the way the Midwest Grandslam Series would rule on the matter.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Roar who??
Odin544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Send a message via Skype™ to slotracer577

Wonder what that does for saddle pack cars? No longer legal because a stick pack wont fit?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin544 View Post
Roar who??
MY favorite post of the year!
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

There are ROAR dimensions for lipo saddle packs. As long as the car in question can fit a pack meeting the standard max dimensions for saddle packs, then it's legal.

People are going to make this out to be more than it is. It's simple- if you can't build the kit and fit a standard battery for the specific class in it, it's not legal.

All 12th scales will have to fit a regular 1s pack, Touring cars will have to fit a standard 2s stick or saddle, 2wd buggies will have to fit a standard 2s stick/saddle, etc... Cars that are made to fit a specific, special battery are what this rule is targeting.

**Cue the ROAR-hating peanut gallery**
Serzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin544 View Post
Roar who??
Ha! While I wish I could make the same statement, they unfortunately still end up being the "de facto" fall back when racers, clubs, and at some big events when rules issues arise.

Oddly enough the day I found out about this my ROAR membership re-signup reminder showed up in the mail....

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
I don't think Electronics layout would be consider as chassis configuration, so as long as the structure of the chassis is as intended and will except a 'standard' pack I don't see an issue. That is the way the Midwest Grandslam Series would rule on the matter.
While I like the interpretation (as it will directly effect me at the Grandslam series if the CRC packs are available by then) I am still stuck on the whole "as presented" wording. Which to me indicates a "go" "no-go" check. If a standard pack can be put in "as presented" you pass, if not.....

Of course this also makes the Losi Type R illegal as a pack at maximum dimensions will not fit without some milling. An old car yes, but it still pops up.

Losi/ROAR conspiracy anyone?!?!? I jest... Honestly.....

Mike Slaughter
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A full size 1s pack fits in the Gen XI in both the standard and inline battery configuration.
www.teamcrc.com, www.teamscreamracing.com, Outlaw RC Motorsports, KO Propo USA, www.crcraceway.com, Dumper's Speedshop, FB/FX Paint. 38.4mm>38mm, 9 degrees does not = Zero end of story. Vice-President of the F1 Pink Flame Posse
dumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It seems to me that the one car the ROAR is targetting more than others is the Losi 22, but also trying to eliminate some future problems by what could be seen as a tuning issue.

Losi Built the 22 within the specs for the cars. Now that it has been out, ROAR has all but banned the car in a certain configuration. But using the batteries as an excuse. But what I get from reading this is that the batteries will be legal. It's just the one car in one of the two different configurations that it can be built, will be illegal.

I really don't understand why at all.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

It looks like as long as you allow the full size battery to fit you can just use the foam blocks to take up the space and then still run the shorty packs.
sstoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It's pretty simple, the intent is to prevent each car from being designed around a vehicle specific pack. This was never an issue, as sub c cells were fairly uniform. They did start to get bigger, but there was never the possibility to do what can be done with lipos.

The future is what I would say is the biggest concern. How many times in the past could problems have been prevented by getting ahead of them?

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I agree with that to a point. Now that a chassis has been made, and there were no rules around it, make a max and a minimum size. Don't rule a chassis as illegal because of your after thought.

Yes, the car can be run in one of two configurations but what ROAR has done with this rule is not fair to Losi or to the people that have already bought this kit. The being said, I am not a Losi fan, but what ROAR has done is a little low with this.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serzoni View Post
There are ROAR dimensions for lipo saddle packs. As long as the car in question can fit a pack meeting the standard max dimensions for saddle packs, then it's legal.

People are going to make this out to be more than it is. It's simple- if you can't build the kit and fit a standard battery for the specific class in it, it's not legal.

All 12th scales will have to fit a regular 1s pack, Touring cars will have to fit a standard 2s stick or saddle, 2wd buggies will have to fit a standard 2s stick/saddle, etc... Cars that are made to fit a specific, special battery are what this rule is targeting.

**Cue the ROAR-hating peanut gallery**
The 22 will accept saddle packs in mid motor. This new rule is wierd to me.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
Tech Legend

Would this rule make using saddle packs for the Sc104x4 be not allowed in ROAR events ?
It seems too ..
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #15
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

What about 4wd cars. B44, ZX5FS, Durango 4wd cars etc.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote