Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project.  Needs you! >

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 01:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Travis,

Thanks for writing. and keep up with that ordering thing. It's important!

That Hawiian race was awesome. I remember we did offroad in some park near the airport and the red dirt stained the white parts of the car and ruined my socks. The timing system was 12 volt. Then some race dudes took me to some onroad race that same weekend. I did a two for one race weekend. was like an old pool or something right up town that was used for skating but they raced oval in or on it, and then we ended up in a parking lot race somewhere.

I remember UPS'ing all my stuff down there. Literally tossed cars in a box and shipped it. I don't remember specifically where I ended up in any of the races, but I know that everybody was super cool, and the weather was awesome!

Cost me a fortune as I left my wife at Hilo Hati's to shop... 'DOH. and I learned to surf too! Bought killed my wife with a surf board... it still comes up to this DAY! "Oh yea, I'll tell ya about pain, remember that time you hit me in the head with a surfboard"? Fellas, don't conk your wife on the head with a surfboard... I'm just sayin. It's good natured teasing and always puts a smile on my face.

We should do that again, really. Was a great vacation.

Appreciate the note. Brought back some great memories.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default 1980s ???? What about the 70s

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I did when it was called E&L. Didn't it move around a few times?
Bob,My name is Tony Williams and I had the pleasure of starting to race in 1975-1976 at Thorp RC Raceway in Pamona Calif with people like Mike Reedy,Gene and Curtis Husting and Gary Keys. Its nice to read this thread and see how far we have come with this hobby. I must say that I do a lot of business with Stormer Hobby and have ALWAYS had a great experience! If there is anyone around from those days at Thorp RC in the 70s PM me on this site..... Thanks Bob and keep up the good work.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
Travis,

Thanks for writing. and keep up with that ordering thing. It's important!

That Hawiian race was awesome. I remember we did offroad in some park near the airport and the red dirt stained the white parts of the car and ruined my socks. The timing system was 12 volt. Then some race dudes took me to some onroad race that same weekend. I did a two for one race weekend. was like an old pool or something right up town that was used for skating but they raced oval in or on it, and then we ended up in a parking lot race somewhere.

I remember UPS'ing all my stuff down there. Literally tossed cars in a box and shipped it. I don't remember specifically where I ended up in any of the races, but I know that everybody was super cool, and the weather was awesome!

Cost me a fortune as I left my wife at Hilo Hati's to shop... 'DOH. and I learned to surf too! Bought killed my wife with a surf board... it still comes up to this DAY! "Oh yea, I'll tell ya about pain, remember that time you hit me in the head with a surfboard"? Fellas, don't conk your wife on the head with a surfboard... I'm just sayin. It's good natured teasing and always puts a smile on my face.

We should do that again, really. Was a great vacation.

Appreciate the note. Brought back some great memories.
That's the track! Your memory is unreal. Sadly that track is gone, but the memories live one.

And don't worry, if I had stock in your company, I'd be making myself rich
Old 11-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Bob. I have a copy of the 1987 U.S. Indoor Championships - Sportsman Class Results.

That year in 1/12th Sportsman the mains went down to the "R" main. (179 entries) I wasn't able to steal the Modified Class Results. Someone beat me to that.

Those where the days. 1/12th scale only.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Gotta give this a bump, its too much fun to read stories of the old days.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

bump for a "Needing Schumacher 1/12"?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Bob, I always knew that you were the unofficial custodian of R/C history but this takes it to a new level. Good on you for doing this!

Probably the biggest mistake I ever made in my 57 years was selling RACEtech Motor Sports to Bolink back in 1998. I remember the day that Bob & Steve Rule arrived to pick everything up and wondering what I was going to do with the rest of my life. Oh, if only knew then what I know now. I've miss it dearly and just this past weekend, ran into a racer that I had not seen in years at a new carpet track and telling him about how that short four years was the most enjoyable time in my working carrer. Oh, how many times my wife would call at 11:00PM and ask if I was ever coming home. Amazing how time flies when you really love what you are doing. Do you happen to have a G-Force 1/10 scale oval car in the collection by chance? I would gladly send you the Pontiac body that was used in all of the marketing shots that has never seen a track if you do.

I will have to stop back a few times to share some of the more historic events that I can recall and encounters with some of the industry greats. I've been in and out of R/C since '88 and got to meet some of the best people on earth. This thread is bringing back some great memories.

-Going to my first ROAR off road Nats in Detroit in '89 and watching Jim Dieter take a 6 cell pack of red Sanyo's, dead short them and throw 'em in a bucket of water. Had been racing all of 9 months and my first qualifier had me standing next to Gil Jr. & Jay Halsey. Talk about being intimidated.

-First Cleveland Indoor Champs in '89 showing up Friday morning at 3:00AM only to be if the FIRST qualifier having never seen the track! Oh, and it was the "U" qualifier at that. Thought I did pretty well taking 3rd in the "K" main. Those were the days!

-TQ'ing 1/10 scale Stock On Road Nats in St. Petersburg, FL around '94 or '95, only to blow the car apart in the first corner of the Main! Damn those were fast! But boy they were fun!

I don't think I have anything left in the shop of any historical value, but will make sure to send it to you if I do. Did you ever get that Delta Super Spyder of mine restored? Keep up the good work!

Steve LaFara
St. Louis, MO
Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SteveL
Bob, I always knew that you were the unofficial custodian of R/C history but this takes it to a new level. Good on you for doing this!

Probably the biggest mistake I ever made in my 57 years was selling RACEtech Motor Sports to Bolink back in 1998. I remember the day that Bob & Steve Rule arrived to pick everything up and wondering what I was going to do with the rest of my life. Oh, if only knew then what I know now. I've miss it dearly and just this past weekend, ran into a racer that I had not seen in years at a new carpet track and telling him about how that short four years was the most enjoyable time in my working carrer. Oh, how many times my wife would call at 11:00PM and ask if I was ever coming home. Amazing how time flies when you really love what you are doing. Do you happen to have a G-Force 1/10 scale oval car in the collection by chance? I would gladly send you the Pontiac body that was used in all of the marketing shots that has never seen a track if you do.

I will have to stop back a few times to share some of the more historic events that I can recall and encounters with some of the industry greats. I've been in and out of R/C since '88 and got to meet some of the best people on earth. This thread is bringing back some great memories.

-Going to my first ROAR off road Nats in Detroit in '89 and watching Jim Dieter take a 6 cell pack of red Sanyo's, dead short them and throw 'em in a bucket of water. Had been racing all of 9 months and my first qualifier had me standing next to Gil Jr. & Jay Halsey. Talk about being intimidated.

-First Cleveland Indoor Champs in '89 showing up Friday morning at 3:00AM only to be if the FIRST qualifier having never seen the track! Oh, and it was the "U" qualifier at that. Thought I did pretty well taking 3rd in the "K" main. Those were the days!

-TQ'ing 1/10 scale Stock On Road Nats in St. Petersburg, FL around '94 or '95, only to blow the car apart in the first corner of the Main! Damn those were fast! But boy they were fun!

I don't think I have anything left in the shop of any historical value, but will make sure to send it to you if I do. Did you ever get that Delta Super Spyder of mine restored? Keep up the good work!

Steve LaFara
St. Louis, MO
Third in the K main at the 89 indoor champs?... I mighta been in that main, was it mod? That'd be funny wouldn't it. I remember one of those classes, for whatever reason, taking a HUGE beating. Don't remember the circumstances, but I remember bumping 4-5 times.

I recall that delta being pretty clean to begin with . Mostly I accumulate parts until I have everything to do something. then do it. about a week ago i was organizing a box of junk and found all the rest of the parts for the enduro car I was building for one of the Thunderdrome events. I never got to go .. Built the car, was ready to go, and something came up business wise and I had to bail at the last minute. Only thing holding me back on starting the restoration on that car is that I'm not 100% sure what front end was on it. I'm 95% confident it was associated block, but there's 5% of me thinks it was a Cheetah beam. I think I'll build it as the block.

i don't know that I have the G-force. Over the last 60-90 days I started looking at oval cars. A class unto themselves. Most people, truly, have no idea how many 1/10 and 1/12 pan cars there actually were. there were hundreds.

I just picked up what I think is the Racetech nitro pan car that I'm gonna restore. I talked to Rick Jordany yesterday and a lot of the Bolink history is tough. After it closed it basically was sold and that was that. Hard to get information. Rick believes he can date most kits back to the finish date on the bodys that were included, so we can get that ironed out when the time comes.

If you have photos of the cars, that would help a LOT. Just PM me and I'll get you my address. love to see the body you have. I think I have most of Andys original bodys from ads (or a lot of them) and some Bolink and a lot of Associateds. Bodys frustrate me. take up a lot of room and hide the coolest part of the car... THE CAR! But, gotta have 'em.

keep in touch.
-Bob

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 11-22-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

Some official recent Coolness to share.

Jeff Davis (D&D, then composite craft) sent us a prototype Lynx II with hand made parts. the two uprights and the swingarm. Custom machined magnesium front beam. rotting in his closet. Let's get it out, restore it and show it!!!! I have, I believe, the parts to restore this car, so that's on the agenda now. Thanks Jeff! he's got great storys, you guys are gonna love when we get Jeff Ironed out. ...lol... I have most of the Composite craft crew found!

I've been on the hunt for Schumacher 1/12 and Terry Rott came through! I was actually unaware of the Terry, Jeff, Doseck, connection. All those guys kinda worked together at Composite craft in the day, or built stuff together or something along those lines. But there was some intermingling. Drop me a note if you have a schu 1/12th axle and hubs. See if we can't restore this lil fella. To the best of my knowledge, it's not actually a c-car, it's a "SPC Euro Champ", the C-car looked more like a 12E or 12i rear with a similar front (I "think"). It's neat to see all the Corally influence on the car, or vice versa.

And Gary McAllister is into the project, he and I have been talking a lot lately. He sent me some of his personal swag from the Thunderdrome events. Thanks Gary!!! Turns out there were 6 of them. The last 3 happened at the Encino velodrome. I did ask him if he'd consider doing it again. He said the Encino track owners are not rc car friendly, and not interested. But to the point, That event was great because of Dan and Gary. You can tell those guys went WAY out of their way to make it a spectacle, and it was. And it was all done through letters and phone calls. No email, on facebook, no twitter. You had to call somebody or write them a note. And it wasn't about who was at the race that made it great, the race made it great. That's an amazing line to cross. Finishing touches like what you see below is WHY those guys were successful with it. When was the last time you saw this much swag related to an event? and this isn't all of it. Folks just don't put in this kind of effort like they used to. I'll keep after Gary, he'll crack sooner or later.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 11-23-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:04 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes that Schumacher car is a SPC what means Saddle Pack Car.
But the original C-Car was released long before the Corally car so Schumacher was the inventor of that design. If you look at the very first PK Corally car what had stickpack battery and compare with the C-Car you will see the basic design and geometry is the same.

The interesting thing is there was another car what did not only look but also had some Schumacher parts this is the TRC Pro12. Ever wondered why an American car had some metric screws between all the other inch screws?
Actually the TRC looks like a Delta Spyder with t-bar and rear pod from the British C-Car and indeed the pod is original C-Car parts.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Bob Rule

Got this from Bob on the weekend.

Happy Turkey Day to "Everyone"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Bob, Is the white Jaco WGT Spec tires the same as the old carbon fiber that you have on your site? Hope so cause I ordered some! Thet are legal right?
Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
Bob, Is the white Jaco WGT Spec tires the same as the old carbon fiber that you have on your site? Hope so cause I ordered some! Thet are legal right?
I've got a set.
They are legit Josh

Check it out here.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ac-wheels.html
Old 01-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Thanks Dave! That thread must of fell off the radar. Looking forward to getting them.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
Yes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.