Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project.  Needs you! >

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project. Needs you!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The Ranch Pit Shop in Pomona was previously Thorp Raceway.

I am not sure of the history of the Del Mar Track. It started as an on-road track then was covered with dirt. It was the Ranch Pit Shop Del Mar for a while and later E&L. I don't think it opened originally as "The Ranch".

The Del Mar facility did have the smallest indoor carpet track I'd ever seen. I raced on it once with 4-cell and did something like 90+ laps in 8-minutes.

I believe the Hot Trick guy was a Del Mar/San Diego local. Thanks to Hot Trick the derogatory term "Bucky" (not used much any more) was created.
During my time at E&L, it was a dirt oval, and then later a paved oval with some road in the middle. The dirt was in when the Landgraff car hit the scene, before it was the Dominator. They put off-road in where the Del Mar Skateboard Ranch sed to be. Interestingly, Surf & Turf has its own entry on a site that's sort of similar to what Bob is attempting here called Disappearing Places. Here's the entry. I looked through the photos on their site but couldn't glimpse the track in any of them. Bob, a section on your site dedicated to tracks that have come and gone could be really cool.

I don't remember an indoor track, just playing "Bad Dudes" and Mickey Thompson's off-road in the arcade.

I grabbed the street address off some vintage Hot Trick stuff I saw on eBay a while back that still had header cards. There were two different addresses, one was what looked to be a small store front in San Diego and the other was a duplex. Yay for cyberstalking 20+ years later.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shangrila
I'd buy such a book even if is 99% chronological photos and 1% text!

But having read your post any n all text from you is going to be sensational!!

Great idea. Fantastic passion to motivate you. 1 book sold already! !!!
+1 I would definitely buy a book if it was published
Old 11-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'll shut about E&L after this, I promise. I got super nostalgic and started looking for pics. There's a ton from the old skate ranch, some of which caught the track in the background. Here's the best I could find.
Attached Thumbnails The Bob Stormer "Radio Control History" project.  Needs you!-screen-shot-2011-11-02-5.44.35-pm.jpg  
Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I ran in the old NORRCA So-Cal OnRoad and Oval Series when I started traveling to races.

Tracks I remember running at were...

One Stop - Cerritos CA (indoor asphalt, highbanked oval)
Bob n Jim's - Riverside CA (carpet)
"The RANCH" - Pomona CA
Revelation - Montclair CA (next to Pomona)
El Cajon R/C Speedway - El Cajon CA
Freedom Park - Camarillo CA

Showing up at a race at THE RANCH was like showing up at a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - some of the biggest names in R/C at the club races - I remember thinking how cool it was.

Other tracks I've traveled to to race at were

Western R/C - Las Vegas NV
Boulder R/C Speedway - Boulder City NV

R/C Sports Mania - Phoenix AZ
HobbyTown USA - Tucson AZ

Delta R/C - Antioch CA
"The Big O" in Redwood City CA
Yorba Linda Raceway - Yorba Linda CA (Short Lived, but such an awesome track)

The Velodromes (Big ol bicycle racing tracks)
- Encino Velodrome - Encino CA
- Hellyer Velodrome - San Jose CA
- Dominguez Hills Velodrome - Carson CA

Crystal Park Raceway - Compton CA
Showtime R/C Speedway (Now A-Main Raceway) in Bakersfield CA
Racer's Haven - Bakersfield CA
the NEW "Finishline R/C Speedway" - Bakersfield CA (Indoor carpet oval)
TQ R/C Raceway - Chino CA

and that's only about 1/2 the LONG LONG list since 1985, plus numerous "Local Club" type events on Temp Tracks in Parking lots in shopping centers, schools, carshows, etc.

...26 years of the R/C Hobby for me - still LOVE it as much today as I did in '85 when I picked up a used RC10 and went DIRT OVAL racing.

Have run nothing but 1/10th scale - 99.99% Electric (Tried a NITRO Pan Car race ONCE - quickly jumped back to electric) - have run Dirt Oval, Off-Road (Buggy and Truck), OnRoad (Pan Car and Touing)and Oval Pan Cars.... Oval is what I prefer, but if it's R/C on wheels, I love it! (Never flown a plane)

Guys who have impressed me over the years

CHUCK KIMBROUGH - he was an awesome person
MIKE REEDY - equally as awesome
ol "Big Jim" Greenmeyer, always had something up his sleeve

the guy from AUTOGRAPHICS (forget his name) got to tour the Autographics shop in Bakersfield one year - he was very cool to talk to.

Mike Walker - Mr TWISTER - went to his house one year to pick up event T-Shirts for a NORRCA race - they were cooking motors in the garage - thought that was cool...the old track owner at the FIRST track I ran at (Larry Wescott) ran for Walker, and during the day at the Hobby Shop - he'd WIND Arms for Mike when no customers were in the shop...that was kinda cool too.

C. Kevin Wynans (CKW Tires) I spent some time @ the CKW Tire Shop picking up about 400 sets of tires one morning - Kevin had to finish mounting and truing them - that was most interesting... Kevin was a young guy who lost his battle w/ Cancer several years ago.

Last edited by SWTour; 11-02-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

this is going to be epic.. absolutely looking forward to it..
Old 11-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello Bob. I've seen you over at rc10talk.com before and have been wanting to see some more pics of some of the rarer stuff in your huge collection. I'm honored you actually have a piece that I created in it. (RC10 Protech Miller High Life body)
Old 11-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It's hard to say what's the most obscure. one of my personal favorites is the Leonard Woods Nitro pan car with the nascar inspired suspension. I don't think they made to many of those. Just neat, top to bottom, and fragile.

Not sure why but I seem to end up with a lot of MRP GP-10's. Wasn't even that great a car. I raced one back in 86-87.

I'll add this. I spent an hour with our IT guy. He has suggested that we host the site on servers outside our building (for security and bandwidth issues). So we found a place to host it. He's working on all that fiddly stuff that has to do with the name server "stuff".

We are underway.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

I remember when Bob Stormer drove a Frito Lay truck.

Your the MAN Bob. I can't wait too see what you put up on your site. As someone who grew up racing R/C, I love the vintage sites.

I had a big thrill this past weekend. I was able to hold and go over Bud Barto's '84 world championship winning car. Awesome.

Brings back great memories.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Check out post #86...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/minnesot...ls-tchr-6.html
Old 11-02-2011, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

So Buds car ended up in Arizona. I tried to weasel that car from him. I got 'sniped' on that one.

Would have been a neat piece to have. It went for a pretty reasonable amount of money, about double what I figured it would.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gubbs3
YEA!!! that's what I'm talkin about. So it was 2002. Cripes. I got start writing this stuff down.

and looks like I ended up 5th in Mod and 6th in stock... I'll take it!

<---Last Dragon.

Great Fernando story. We're standing in line in tech. whoever it was doing tech says to me, "your car is to low" and hands me the car back. Fernando is right behind me and next in line. He starts flipping me crap at a reasonable volume. The exact quote was as follows, "Jebus Cripes Bob, your car doesn't need to be that low, this isn't bloody F1 you know". There is not even a one second delay and the tech guy says, "Fernando, your car is to low". To which, I got to say....

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 11-03-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
...Back in the day a guy named Reinhardt worked here. Rick gave him a 50 deal on motors to run for Peak. He had those Peak Performance stickers with the big PP on them (Peak Performance). SO it became the thing whenever he got a new motor, "Hey man, look at my PP !"
Oh man that reminds me of the Peak Performance 36 degree stock motor with pink powdercoating. The pink PP! LOL.

Sean
Old 11-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

JUST WANT TO SAY THANK YOU BOB
Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Dork Missile

Now i find out the originator of "Dork Missile"....and i thought it was the imfamous Bob Stormer! I remember showing up at the Cleveland Indoor Nats for the very first time and meeting Mr.Stormer...i thought i'm never going to be the same. haha...it's all good! Bob sets his 1/12 car down and on the whole one side of his TOJ body is a sticker with the Dork Missile name.
It was from that very first time i met Bob i knew i wanted to keep racing with him. I tried to hit as many local races in Canada and the Northern States to try and beat Bob Stormer in 1/12! It was my passion to keep from getting lapped by him and some of the other hotshot fast guys from Montana. Thank you Bob for starting this project...i'm not sure how i can help out,except to maybe tell some of your funny stories from racing. It's been guys like you that kept me interested throughout these years...on and off. It was very cool to meet your son...and re establish a friendship. (i don't wanna discuss the results from this years Hank!) hahaha!

Terry Yeo ps-i was very surprised to see Dork Missile free to use as an avatar name!
Old 11-03-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Bob, this is a great idea. Thanks for starting this thread!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.