Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One-way

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Erlend
Well, i consider putting a spool in the rear, and a one-way in the front. Would be a lot easier to maintain.................
I guess it would handle like crap though.
1/8 onroad cars run a front oneway and rear spool. I tried it in my NTC3 a while back. Accelerates like a bat out of hell but you can't brake at all without spinning out. The car would handle very well in the hands of a capable driver but it is still hard to control. Then I decided to go back to front oneway and rear diff.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I am thinking of putting a oneway in my shaft drive vehicle. I have both the center shaft oneway as well as the oneway diff I can try.

From what I gather about the shaft oneway it will generate more steering offpower. I am thinking this may be beneficial on tight sections of the track when I am offpower but don't want to use brakes.

Has anyone run a shaft oneway, and has anyone run a shaft oneway and oneway diff together?

If you know of any online articles that go into detail explaining oneways that would be great as well.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Running dual one ways will make your car very fast but hard to drive. It should allow for more acceleration out of turns because now your drive shaft and front transmission can freewheel. I have personally never done this because I ran belt cars but I do konw of a few fast guys in the area that have done it.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by NismoSkyline17
1/8 onroad cars run a front oneway and rear spool. I tried it in my NTC3 a while back. Accelerates like a bat out of hell but you can't brake at all without spinning out. The car would handle very well in the hands of a capable driver but it is still hard to control. Then I decided to go back to front oneway and rear diff.
One reason why the rear spool only works for 1/8 scale because of the width of their rear tires. Its really wide (almost twice the width of the front), which gives a lot of rear traction along with the downforce given by their bodies (Lola VDS). Now in 1/10 Touring with touring bodies, its really difficult to make the rear end stick during braking. We were able to do such setup on nitro touring outlaw with Lola VDS bodies...
Old 01-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info. I know its a hot setup for 4wd offroad for the vehicle chassis I run ( SB Pro, STR4-Pro for the sedan ).

Last race I rarely braked, I just relied on the motor to slow down coming into the turns and then would gun it through.

With the diff oneway, I would just stay on power through the turns or can I do offpower but no braking through the turns to get through them quickly?
Old 01-21-2005, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Instead of claiming that you can't use brakes with a one-way, why don't you simply adjust the brakes on your radio so you can?!!?!?! I mean really, It's not all that hard. I have used almost nothing but a one way for over 4 years, and I most certainly have brakes! It's like people saying you can't use your brakes with any 2wd car, of course if you have your brakes set too strong you'll spin out. A 4wd with a one way is no different. I will give you though that you cannot stop in as short of a distance, but that's not the point. The point is you can brake with one ways. And yes, if grip is up a one way in a TC3 on carpet can be a very good thing
Old 01-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Tech Legend

For the TC3, are you running the diff oneway or the shaft oneway?

I read this article here:

http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/oneways.asp

From what I gather, with a diff oneway each while can spin independent of each other which I believe can allow you to take turns faster.

With the center oneway, you get free wheeling off power but you still scrub some speed as you still have the diff action?

I am thinking of trying the center oneway first and then the diff one to see how I like it ( maybe a combination of the two ). Any thoughts?

My driving style is that I don't use brakes or if I do I have them turned way down.

Thanks for any info guys.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Tech Initiate

A year ago I bought a Yok SD which had a one-way in it and I just couldn't get on with it all. Last weekend was the first time I ran my Xray FK which also comes with a one-way. I tried the one-way first and found it copable but very back-endy. I bought a normal diff just in case I did'nt like the one-way so next few heats ran with a normal diff and was all over the place.

Went back to the one-way and won my final and came 3rd in the following (we run bump up finals). I'm leaving the one-way in - we run on carpet using carpet dragon tyres so grip isn't great and most people at our club won't touch a one-way. Another lad runs an FK and he flies round and he to runs a one-way. Although grip isn't high we run tight circuits so the one-way helps.

As for brakes, you can't lean on them hard of course but as said, most higher spec transmitters allow brake tailoring. Setting up a KO tranny to run the ABS does help and assuming the wheels are straight and the cars not "tweaked" it should brake reasonably true.

Some cars suit a one-way other don't its a case of try and find out.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Think of the principle: A wheel have a certain amount of traction. Call it 100%. When entering a corner with a full time 4WD, the front tires uses traction both for braking AND steering (even though you dont touches the brakes, most of the time, the wheel will either brake or accelerate - chances for hitting neutral speed is small) So, when entering the corner, assumes 30% traction goes for braking and 70% goes for steering.

With a one-way AND off-throttle, the front wheels freewheel, thus you have 100% traction for steering.

With a center one-way, there's still resistance in the front diff, and some bearings and some other transmissions parts. With a one-way diff, there's less resistance, thus the front wheels spins more freely.

A center one-way is less aggressive, than a one-way diff, thus a little easier to drive.

But a one-way diff gives you a lot more on-power steering.

So, if there's good traction, the one-way (diff) can be a huge advantage on tight technically tracks.

I recommend, that you start with a car, which i dialed for the track in full time 4WD.

If possible, disable the auto brake in your ESC. Alternatively, trim the ESC zero, so the car crawls a little, with throttle in neutral.

As others have said, ease up on brakes. If your stuff can, then limit the maxium brake. And use ABS, if you got it.

If you have to re-work your setup too much or setup the car with big front/rear differences, something is either wrong, or it's not suited for you and your track/car.

If you get it to work, you probably wont go back. Have fun
Old 01-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

i plan to put a one way in my tc3 also but is this all i need?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSG37&P=7
i wasent sure if i just need thise one gear that looks in or if i need a whole other outdrive and everything or if i just use the existing one?
Old 01-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

kh15:
You would need more than just the ring gear.
What you'd need is the one way axle, the drive cups, and the ring gear.
Try a more comprehensive search on tower or AE's website. I lost the part numbers since i parted with my own tc3.
you could also ask in the tc3 thread.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:58 AM
Tech Elite

Default Double oneways

About running a center oneway and a front oneway diff; There's almost no difference, compared to running only a one way diff. If any difference, it's added rotating mass, since the center one-way is heavier than none in a shaft car, and a standard pulley in a belt car.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

How is the driving characteristics of a car with front solid spool vs front one way vs front diff? Does solid spool allow a car to turn much faster? If so, isn't it good for very tight track (track with lots of hairpins)?
Old 01-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

a spool is great for tight tracks.
What it gives is a lot of turn on power(out of turns), while off power you can still brake.

The disadvantage is that it's incredibly harsh on the tyres and generally the whole front drivetrain.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Tech Legend

hey guys, thanks for all the great info.

I am going to build both oneway options today and have them ready to try out. The track is VERY tight and technical. The more I can stay on throttle and have onpower steering the better.

I am leaning towards putting in the center oneway first then the diff oneway to try out, any thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.