Wiki Posts
Search

New VTA body release

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
Come on guys. Its an extra body for our class. Yes a mercury or Pontiac would be great. But I'm for one am happy for any extras.

You guys have to realize that VTA is still new compared to other classes. Be patient its coming.

Just look at the pics from the Scale Nats in Chicago and the Southern Nats in Nashville.

USVTA is on the rise and new bodies and events are coming. Can you say SNOWBIRDS
All very much true but the scale realism is not up to par, with hpi mustang looking so much nicer I would only expect it to get better.. not worse. Im glad to see different companies making more bodies.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the posts....and criticisms.

Just so you know....even though we have been making RC bodies for 30 years, we are still a small Mom and Pop business and some things that are done in China with big dollars and big quantities just aren't feasible for us.

Also keep in mind there are limitations to the shapes we can Vacuum Form. It's not like injection molded plastic models. Our RC cars are not necessarily scale proportions either, so we have to fudge a little. I don't know how the larger manufacturers create their molds, but there are no computers or machining involved in any of our molds.

Based on the photos above and adjusting for the simplicity of the forming process, I don't think we're that far off. Not trying to change anybody's opinion, just giving you some idea of how we do it.

The law of large numbers also limits what we can do for detail decals. What we have available for Nascar and Late Models is very good. Wish our road racing sales were higher to justify decal production. Coincidentally, we will have a bunch of new decals available within a few weeks.

We certainly can't please everybody, but we appreciate all those that do support our product line. At least you know you are getting product made by a racer.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveM
It's a shame they haven't managed to provide even basic decals for their bodies.
Originally Posted by SteveM
Checking their web page I see three decal sets for 10th oval bodies, 4 sets for dirt oval trucks and various sizes of racing numbers. I do not see any decals available for their line of touring, GT or prototype bodies.

http://www.mcallisterracing.com/index_files/Page571.htm
You're so right, they OWE you decals! You should probably send them all of your money to develop them for you.

Otherwise, Mcallister makes pretty good quality stuff. I run one of their Ferrari bodies on my WGT car. Holds up like a tank. If this body is of the same quality, I see no reason why it should be denigrated. Talk about biting the hand that feed you!

After all, you don't see any Parma bashing threads in regards to the VTA legal bodies, do you? Most simply just move on.

Vote with your wallet. Prove it on the track. Everything else is just a waste of time between races.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I am all for the realistic bodies just like TAMIYA or KYOSHO. But don't forget, we are racing our car for FAST LAP TIME and handling....not BLING racing.

I was gifted 1 of the eariler version of the Mcallister 69 Tang body on my VTA like a year ago...and I was racing that specific body since. It out handle and out run all the HPI good looking body that I had....hands down. I will definitely buy this new one and compare.

I highly doubt a high detail VTA body will handle good, or fast...I rather have a FAST shoe box then a SLOW bling bling...not to mention, take alook at those TAMIYA or KYOSHO body and see how much they are asking....and you will know there is a price to pay somewhere.

May I ask...what was change between this one and the eariler version?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
You're so right, they OWE you decals! You should probably send them all of your money to develop them for you.

Otherwise, Mcallister makes pretty good quality stuff. I run one of their Ferrari bodies on my WGT car. Holds up like a tank. If this body is of the same quality, I see no reason why it should be denigrated. Talk about biting the hand that feed you!

After all, you don't see any Parma bashing threads in regards to the VTA legal bodies, do you? Most simply just move on.

Vote with your wallet. Prove it on the track. Everything else is just a waste of time between races.
Buckaroo - you've clearly missed the point which is that companies like HPI for example can make competitive bodies that still look good and come with great decals all at a reasonable price. I have nothing nice to say about Parma bodies.

Solara - the VTA class has a level of coolness and I doubt racers select a body purely based on the expected top speed.

Last edited by SteveM; 09-29-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Based on the other bodies that have been allowed, this one is just fine.

As Gary pointed out, some other manufacturers do have the advantage of CNC and multi piece bucks to form the body. Either way, the body looks fine, and is a great addition to the class.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I kinda like it...I'll agree that it doesn't look as realistic as some of the others...but if I wanted realistic, I'd enter concourse.

I like any body I don't have to attach the bumper to

Also, the front end looks like it might hold up better than some others...something I definitely appreciate!
Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default bodies

ok...so one new body to the list...lets see who steps up next...last time somebody put out a body...it seem like a new one was coming out every week....

Hey HPI, how about that Firebird!!!

wait thats 6 new ones...here latley...WOW!!!!....not bad
Old 09-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looks great Gary!!!
Old 09-30-2011, 12:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Lostinbaja

You posted pics of a "STOCK" 69 Mustang GT, not a TRANS AM RACE CAR run in the SCCA Trans Am Series of the 70's

Here's a pic of a Trans-Am car, note the front valance

I will tell you, I LOVE the detail of the HPI bodies, but the HPI bodies (the original CUDA, CAMARO and MUSTANG) were NOT make for the VTA, the VTA came after the bodies (which is why the 65 and 66 Fastback were used)

The DETAIL that HPI is able to achieve I'm sure is part of why those bodies are paper thin and are easily destroyed. (I so hated destroying my "Smokey Yunick 67 Camaro body" that Brian painted for me...)

I'll bet that if the McAllister Body holds up like his early WIDE Mustang did back when I ran those on my OVAL CARS in a "Hobby Stock" class in the early 90's - they will put up with a TON of punishment on a VTA car.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour

I'll bet that if the McAllister Body holds up like his early WIDE Mustang did back when I ran those on my OVAL CARS in a "Hobby Stock" class in the early 90's - they will put up with a TON of punishment on a VTA car.
Thats what I am thinking. That it will hold up really well, and for that it looks awesome. Plus its one peice and I am sure can go from the package to the track really well.

By the way everytime I have asked McAllister if they would be willing to pull a shell from my mold they have given me a positive response. So if you have a better looking mold than this one send it to them and they will drop some hot lexan over it. Try that with HPI and you will hear them laugh at you. Nothing against HPI. I love their stuff. Just sayin.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think the body looks great, and options can only be a good thing for the class!

Perhaps a bit more detail on the rear would be nice, but that's pretty much expecting the impossible from something pulled from a one piece mold. Its also an acceptable sacrifice for the significant increase in durability this body likely gives over the HPI options.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

lostinbaja failed to mention that the blue Mustang in "real life" was either number 1 or 2, not 3, and the sponsor stickers are wrong, and the real cars had silver wheels, not chrome.

Seriously??? It's an R/C race car, not a shelf model! Looks pretty good to me. I'll probably buy one after my Pegasus Mustang dies.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you compare all the currently available Mustang bodies for VTA, none are what I would consider perfect

The HPI '65-'66 Mustangs are too narrow in the rear. The VTA wheels will rub the body if you try to mount the body too low.

The HPI '70 Mustang looks nice, but I've not talked to anyone who has raced one.

The Parma '70 Boss Mustang is a bit oversized and has a very long rear overhang. The only person I talked to that raced with it, wasn't very happy with the performance in VTA.

The Pegaus Mustang seems to be made for a car with a shorter wheelbase. It is also a bit out of scale and the tires tend to rub in the back. It does have a low center of gravity though.

The McAllister body looks like it should be a good compromise for racing.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

Just ordered one from them. Can't wait to run it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.