Search
Like Tree14Likes

Tamiya 1/12 R/C RM-01 "Racing Master"

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrUnlimited
That is great news to see another "vintage" Tamiya rereleased although I would rather see the CanAm Lola rereleased.
CAn am Lola is 210mm, To big for current 1\12. MAybe a different chassis plate will come out for the Can Am
Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
CAn am Lola is 210mm, To big for current 1\12. MAybe a different chassis plate will come out for the Can Am
Really? You mean the Can Am Lola was as big as a current TC back then? 210mm width is quite big. Or do you mean 210mm wheel base?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bakaguyjean
The question is: is this car for serious competition or as rerelease for collectors?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

This is a RETRO RELEASE... I think it could have a chance if KEPT SPEC.
Is it out yet? I always wanted the TOM's
Old 10-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The question is: is this car for serious competition or as rerelease for collectors?
Originally Posted by notch johnson
This is a RETRO RELEASE... I think it could have a chance if KEPT SPEC.
Is it out yet? I always wanted the TOM's
It is a little bit of both.

Not a Re-release, and only the body set is Retro.
The chassis is a modern link design.

The Original Tom's

All New RM-01 Tom's
Old 10-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I want to get excited about this car, but I'm finding it rather difficult, as there doesn't really seem to be anything to distinguish it from other 12ths on the market apart from the old school front end. And I'm worried that the only thing you'll be able to adjust on the front end are the springs. Maybe you could adjust caster too with washers under the front end. I suppose it's a basic car that could be good for getting people into 12th if it's priced appropriately, but as has been pointed out Tamiya is often not that cheap.

I guess I was just hoping to see something different from Tamiya. I would really have liked to have seen the old Group-C rear end for instance, with a T-bar that sits under the battery. That arrangement with o-rings between the T-bar and the battery box is still the easiest system to adjust I've ever used.

I would also like to see some rubber tyres come out for the car, or better still the return of the RD tyre caps. I race an onroad series where 12th is run as a demo class at every round but one where the grip is really low. Pan cars used to work great there with caps, but now only the rubber shod F1s race there. If the caps came back we could actually have 12th as part of the series properly.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Radio Active
I want to get excited about this car, but I'm finding it rather difficult, as there doesn't really seem to be anything to distinguish it from other 12ths on the market apart from the old school front end. And I'm worried that the only thing you'll be able to adjust on the front end are the springs. Maybe you could adjust caster too with washers under the front end. I suppose it's a basic car that could be good for getting people into 12th if it's priced appropriately, but as has been pointed out Tamiya is often not that cheap.

I guess I was just hoping to see something different from Tamiya. I would really have liked to have seen the old Group-C rear end for instance, with a T-bar that sits under the battery. That arrangement with o-rings between the T-bar and the battery box is still the easiest system to adjust I've ever used.

I would also like to see some rubber tyres come out for the car, or better still the return of the RD tyre caps. I race an onroad series where 12th is run as a demo class at every round but one where the grip is really low. Pan cars used to work great there with caps, but now only the rubber shod F1s race there. If the caps came back we could actually have 12th as part of the series properly.
I think what you are asking for is a bit too preliminary. It is a God send that Tamiya is back in the 1/12th scene. I'm sure there is more to come after the kit is released. I have already said that these would really make it big if they released mini wheel adapters with scale looking GT bodies like the Kawada M300GT and the Yokomo GT500. That would seem suitable for that series you are talking about.

As for price, take a look at this car again and tell me that Tamiya can price the eyeballs out of this thing. If you compare this with the Kyosho Plazma Ra, its way more basic and it has a lot of plastic parts in contrast to the aluminum and graphite on the Plazma. The expected street price of the Plazma has already been speculated to be between $200 - $300USD. So how can Tamiya price theirs to be more than that? I expect this to be somewhere between $150 - $200USD with it being discounted by retailers to be closer to the lower end of that range.

Lets all wait and see and hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
I think what you are asking for is a bit too preliminary. It is a God send that Tamiya is back in the 1/12th scene. I'm sure there is more to come after the kit is released. I have already said that these would really make it big if they released mini wheel adapters with scale looking GT bodies like the Kawada M300GT and the Yokomo GT500. That would seem suitable for that series you are talking about.
Yeah, fair point. Like I say, I want to be excited about it, it could bring people into 12th racing.

As for price, take a look at this car again and tell me that Tamiya can price the eyeballs out of this thing. If you compare this with the Kyosho Plazma Ra, its way more basic and it has a lot of plastic parts in contrast to the aluminum and graphite on the Plazma. The expected street price of the Plazma has already been speculated to be between $200 - $300USD. So how can Tamiya price theirs to be more than that? I expect this to be somewhere between $150 - $200USD with it being discounted by retailers to be closer to the lower end of that range.

Lets all wait and see and hopefully we'll all be pleasantly surprised.
I'm an Australian, so my thoughts on price come from that perspective. Tamiya and Kyosho have a lot of mark-up in Australia. I could get a competition 12th scale for about $200 if I look in the right place. 12th scale kits typically aren't in stores though. I'm hoping that people will buy the Tamiya and come racing, but I worry that they'll be turned off by having paid too much for an FRP and Steel car and not having any of the running gear needed to actually race in the class here.

We still don't have an entry level class for 12th in Australia (it's only Mod), so I desperately want to see lots of these at the track, but the price needs to be right.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Tech Champion

On another note, if they bring out a front bumper that fits other cars (preferably the Associated) I'd buy it in a second.

Also interesting to note that the rear pod still has the mounts for a rear wing on it.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Really? You mean the Can Am Lola was as big as a current TC back then? 210mm width is quite big. Or do you mean 210mm wheel base?
Wheel base
Old 10-22-2011, 02:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Its for serious TCS racing,collectors, C car fans and people that like RC scale cars.
So you can take your pick.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:40 PM
Tech Champion

The list for Tamiya 2012 releases is already out and the Toyota Toms RM-01 kit is not on it. However, the parts for it are on the list.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Tech Addict

Looks like December 17th

http://www.tamiya.com/japan/news/newitems/index.htm
Old 11-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Tech Master

Yeah, if the price is good, i may get one to try out at our club. Would of been better if they had brought out a more modern version of the classic car, but you never know what might be around the corner ;-)

Cheers.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wingman2
Yeah, if the price is good, i may get one to try out at our club. Would of been better if they had brought out a more modern version of the classic car, but you never know what might be around the corner ;-)

Cheers.
Racing MAster TRF?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.