Is it a smart idea to true down 10th touring foams

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Tech Regular

thanks for all the help guys
Old 11-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Tech Regular

Post Tires

Vortex, Jaco's come pre-trued at 63mm. I usually measure them before hand and that's the number I come out with.

I would say true the tires at 60mm to start. As others have said I agree with. Don't run out of the box tires without truing them first. Your gonna chunk them and blow 18 bucks or so on them. If you plan on racing carpet, and traction is high I would recommend truing them too between 58-59mm. That way you can't chunk them (unless you hit things) and you increase tire life by getting more runs out of them if you didn't true them. That's my 2 cents there.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Whats the life span of a Foam like, compared to a rubber tire suited to carpet like a Sorex 20R?

Granted the different shore of the foams makes a difference, but roughly how many runs would you get out of a set of double pink Jaco's (for example)?
Old 11-10-2004, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Tire Wear

I cannot comment on comparing the tire wear to rubber tires, as I have never run them.

If I start my tires at 58mm, I can get two race days or about 10 races/practices before they are completely worn out. My interpretation of worn out is about 54.5 mm, which is getting pretty close to the Parma rim.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I've never seen or heard of someone running a rubber tire long enough to wear it out on carpet. The problem with rubber tires is that the "go off" after a few heat cycles and you will never get the speed out of them like when they were new. Foam tires dont seem to have this problem. You can run the tire until you run out of tire.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

I used to true them down to 60 mm to start but I don't anymore.... New foams usually come out of the box at 65mm.... I glue the heck out of the sidewalls... Use something to push the glue into the foam and get it all evenly applied, like a popsicle stick or cardboard... Then I true them down to 64mm and true them as necessary from there... I compensate my ride height and droop to the tire size as they wear....
Old 11-10-2004, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Vortex, your track owner should also consider that running rubber tires will wear out the carpet much faster than running foam tires. Josh Cyrul said a few years ago that its about a factor of 4 times more wear. So your track will be looking at possibly replacing the carpet every year, instead of every four years.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've seen what Mini-Coopers can do to a track with their rubber tires with treads, they are pretty hard on it....I can't imagine what a Mod Touring would do to it....Rubber outdoors, foam indoors, even though some locals in SJ would prefer foam year round....
Old 11-11-2004, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I would like to know how far of CA that we should put onto the edge (outside) of the foams....? I understanded that I should put CA at the sidewall between the rim and the foam, but then, how far UP that I have to CA...? All the way to the tire surface?

Please advise.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Tech Regular

Man, I wish we had carpet out here in SoCal? We have everything else for our racing needs, but no carpet tracks!
I am new to racing onroad, I am an offroad T4 driver, but I recently picked up a tc3 and have enjoyed turning laps with it at the track. I run the car at socal with Sorex 36r tires and they hook up great for about five runs or so and then I see thirty bucks go down the drain after about two practice days.
I also race micro, ocassionally, and we have always used foam on carpet tracks, and even asphalt. The foam tires seem to last forever with this application! I have been wondering if I could get the same performance with foams on my tc3 on asphalt tracks. Has anyone tried this?
Old 11-11-2004, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

I glue them all the way onto the tread area and then true them down.... Matter of fact, I am doing this right now... My eyes are burning from the CA...
Old 11-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by jackfast
I also race micro, ocassionally, and we have always used foam on carpet tracks, and even asphalt. The foam tires seem to last forever with this application! I have been wondering if I could get the same performance with foams on my tc3 on asphalt tracks. Has anyone tried this?
Micro yes, it does last forever...

Outdoor foam on TC........kinda yes too, it last much longer compare to nitro TC.....but I would say 1 set of foams can last 2 good days of racing..........if you are CHEAP like me.

But usually a set of foam can last you at least 1 full day of racing and practice.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by vtl1180ny
I glue them all the way onto the tread area and then true them down.... Matter of fact, I am doing this right now... My eyes are burning from the CA...
Thanks.........now, I have a new set of Parma (64mm) I should CA the tires from the rim to the edge of the foam on the top, then drop them to the truer and true to 60mm range, right..?
Thanks......

P.S........but how can I round the edge if I CA them beforehand?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Thanks.........now, I have a new set of Parma (64mm) I should CA the tires from the rim to the edge of the foam on the top, then drop them to the truer and true to 60mm range, right..?
Thanks......

P.S........but how can I round the edge if I CA them beforehand?
You'll just true the glue right off....
Old 11-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can sand the 36rs, and get more runs out of them. Just meet someone with a sander, and try it out.

Originally posted by jackfast
Man, I wish we had carpet out here in SoCal? We have everything else for our racing needs, but no carpet tracks!
I am new to racing onroad, I am an offroad T4 driver, but I recently picked up a tc3 and have enjoyed turning laps with it at the track. I run the car at socal with Sorex 36r tires and they hook up great for about five runs or so and then I see thirty bucks go down the drain after about two practice days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.