R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Is it a smart idea to true down 10th touring foams (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/54660-smart-idea-true-down-10th-touring-foams.html)

erock87 11-08-2004 03:49 PM

Is it a smart idea to true down 10th touring foams

was wondering the advanteages of trueing them down? Also do the thick foam tires chunk if not tured down, even if they have traction compund on them?

Thanks for the help Erik

JDXray 11-08-2004 03:52 PM

Re: Is it a smart idea to true down 10th touring foams

Originally posted by erock87
was wondering the advanteages of trueing them down? Also do the thick foam tires chunk if not tured down, even if they have traction compund on them?

Thanks for the help Erik

From my experience just now the bigger the foam the easier to chunk..

erock87 11-08-2004 03:53 PM

What would be a safe size to true them down to then 65mm?

JDXray 11-08-2004 03:54 PM

Originally posted by erock87
What would be a safe size to true them down to then 65mm?
Not sure about the mm size. But if you buy like Jaco 28mm i think i like to true them down to about 58-60 range.

TigeRyan 11-08-2004 03:58 PM

I usually start at 60-61mm....and then CA the sidewalls on both sides, helps prevent chunking...

erock87 11-08-2004 04:21 PM

i have the new parma ones so i guess i will prolly go down to 61mm

brianrice 11-08-2004 04:54 PM

Tire Size

If you plan on racing competitively, I would start with them around 59mm, or 2.32 inches. For high bite carpet we have been going as low as 58mm or 2.28 inches right out of the box. It's painfull because you are burning most of the away before it even goes on the car.

You will want to glue the outside of the tire. This creates a stiff sidewall that won't flex during hard driving on carpet. This is especially noticable with Cyan and Magenta compounds.

You will like the Parma tires, they work very welll!!!

punkboy 11-08-2004 04:57 PM

you may have a hard time chunking parmas....although, it is possible, if your involved in alot of crashes, it is possible to chunk the center...i have yet to chunk on the sides, running a clean race

erock87 11-08-2004 05:25 PM

i've never driven the car yet with the foams but another racer at my track just bought fresh brand new plaid parma fronts and not trueing them down or putting traction them, went out and chucked a good sized piece down to the rim on the tire. thats why i ask the question to true them down or not

Rod M 11-08-2004 05:32 PM

it really depends on how serious you are (and how much $$$ you have to burn)

for club meets I run ellegi's straight out of the box and true them when necessary, and keep the worn down (around 60mm) and trued sets for the finals.

Solara 11-08-2004 05:36 PM

Yeah, like everyone else, I just can't see I would like to true down the 4-5mm right out for the box and use it to race, HOWEVER, that is a must...........I tried to run the stock foam without truing, not just it turn slower, slower lap times, also....big time trackion roll........due to the high side wall.

But I think I will give it another try by using the 64mm foam without truing and CA the edge.........but overall, I will start the foam with 61mm if I have to true...

Yes, CA the edge does help a little..............

Solara 11-08-2004 05:38 PM

Re: Tire Size

Originally posted by brianrice
You will want to glue the outside of the tire. This creates a stiff sidewall that won't flex during hard driving on carpet. This is especially noticable with Cyan and Magenta compounds.

You will like the Parma tires, they work very welll!!!

I also would like to know HOW much of CA that we should put onto the edge (outside) of the foams....? I understand I should put CA at the sidewall between the rim and the foam, but then, how far UP that I have to CA...? All the way to the tire surface?

Please advise.

Jamie Corrado 11-08-2004 06:04 PM

BrianRice could not have said it better, as for myself I start with 58mm rite out of the box and run them down to 55mm. Even though you are taking them down so far out of the box I am still getting 3-4 weeks of life out of them at 2 race meets a weekend. To me thats still pretty economical.

stulec52 11-08-2004 06:37 PM

I start mine at 60 mm.
I find they actually last longer this way than no truing at all !
Like it has been said already, they are less likely to chunk with less sidewall, and also they stay more consistent.

Also a point to note, CA the edge BEFORE truing them, then re-check to make sure the edge is still glued before running, re-doing the ca if required.

hope this helps

v0rtex 11-08-2004 07:15 PM

What happens if you run foams and dont true them?

We are moving to a carpet track in the next month or so, and i'd like to experiment with running foams, because most people will possibly be running rubber tires, I hear foams are quicker on carpet than rubber...

But im not keen on shelling out $400 for a tire truer (well, that was a hudy truer. is there a more cost effective similar quality tire truer available on the market at all?), will that effect the tires at all? Are the TRC or Jaco's pre-trued to a race size? How much do foams wear?