Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ta04r...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

awtwac

Skip the belt tensioner that sits on the upper deck. You won't need it. Also, pick up a sheet of the teflon stuff that you stick to the bottor of a carbon fiber chassis. You want to cut a couple strips of it and stick it to the edges of the battery tray so the battery bars ton't make contact with the chassis. Carbon fiber conducts electricty, so you packs will short out on the chassis and cause problems if you use side by side packs. Other than that, buy the lightweight diff outdrives and the hard touring car spring set and you should be ready to race.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default trf parts

Just checking the Rainbow ten web sight. They have the new ssg front and rear damper stays and upper deck. They also list the new ta04 aluminum suspension mounts.

Tom
Old 04-14-2003, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Tom when are you coming up??

Get your butt up here and start having some fun.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default racing

I moved into the new house and am settled in. Now my schedule has me working thursday thru sunday for the next three weeks. I will try to get sundays off next time I bid. Are they going to post the new schedule on the Burien sight?

Tom

p.s. Do you know the differece(other than material) between the new TA04SS Hard Front Upright(53579) and the standard one.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:12 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by psycho
awtwac

Skip the belt tensioner that sits on the upper deck. You won't need it. Also, pick up a sheet of the teflon stuff that you stick to the bottor of a carbon fiber chassis. You want to cut a couple strips of it and stick it to the edges of the battery tray so the battery bars ton't make contact with the chassis. Carbon fiber conducts electricty, so you packs will short out on the chassis and cause problems if you use side by side packs. Other than that, buy the lightweight diff outdrives and the hard touring car spring set and you should be ready to race.
I would listen to these guys awtwac, psycho and difuser and several others, like peter-robsinson,Steevo, izzyracer, KINGZJ, rowdyrj and others have great advise.

One thing that I saw in a rc magazine was a hole drilled into the Alum Motor mount to get to the belt loop on the rear gear case. I don't know if that's legal in GT2 class but it looks to be an interesting idea.

I ran my 04R about 2 races ago, it was on rails. Then only complaint that I have is the rims that came with the kit. One was warped.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hi guys, I just want to share my luck this past weekend. I participated at a HobbyPeople Race in Camarillo, CA
Sportsman Stock and Qualified 2nd in A-main and Finish 1st on the Final with the TA04-R. I made some educated guess on my initial set up and was planted on most of the day. The weather was weired. It got sunny then cloudy then sunny again and the wind blew and dust fell on the track. It is my first major accompishment after all this time so if I stay consistent, I might have to move up to Expert Stock soon. :-)
Old 04-14-2003, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Congrats Izzy!!!
Old 04-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally posted by eeyan
Congrats Izzy!!!
Thanks! (nagbo-bolahan na yata tayo a...hehehe!)

eeyan, I bought those Bateries but just the 1.14's, you think it will be a big difference with the double the price 1.17"s
Old 04-14-2003, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks, psycho + Mike F!

Mike F: I'll have to check the legality of the motor mount hole, since I'm primarily interested in TCS.

psycho: does that mean the belt is at the right tension "as-is"? What happens when it wears - will it start to loosen then? Again, thanks.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No cutting on anything. Tech gets real anal about stuff like this. At Nats they called me on a hole drilled in the chassis for the antennae, I had to Sglue a srcew into the hole and run the stock mount

Also don't run the top rear tensioner I run the lower one in the gear case
Old 04-14-2003, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

awtwac

When the belt is new, it's too tight. You'll want to stretch it a bit by hand and let it wear in on the car. I raced my 04R in stock during the winter on carpet to get familiar with how to set it up then some club racing and TCS on asphalt since the beginning of the year. I've probably got at least a dozen race days on the car and the front belt is still too tight for my liking. When you race stock or 540 (GT3) you want the belts as loose as you can get them without them jumping off the pullies so you don't waste your limited amount of power on drivetrain drag. It is TCS legal to run without the belt tensioner (in all classes) and you certainly won't need it for a while, so I suggest building it and sticking it in your pit box in case you need it later. With the mounting screws, the tensioner weighs 15 grams, so any amount of weight reduction you can get on an already overweight car is good! I would also make a transponder mount out of some scrap lexan rather than using the kit suppied mount. You can save a few more grams of weight there.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Has anyone directly compared the standard wheelbase TA04R to the SS? I bought a set of the SS arms, but haven't tried them. In GT3, I don't find the need for more steering or quicker response and the car is nice ans stable on the straights. I was just curious is anyone had done a direct comparison between the short and long wheelbase. I kinda like the Apt Audi TT body anyways!
Old 04-14-2003, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally posted by izzyracer
Thanks! (nagbo-bolahan na yata tayo a...hehehe!)

eeyan, I bought those Bateries but just the 1.14's, you think it will be a big difference with the double the price 1.17"s
Nagbobolahan? Sure.... LoL!!!

Jas and I were talking about the batts last night; he was tempted to get the higher end packs but in the end still backed out because of the price. I told him that he won't really notice a BIG difference unless he's a pro anyway... I still got one pack though just in case... =)
Old 04-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Regional Moderator

pyscho - I don't use the belt tensioner on the top plate either, there's really no need for it. It's probably better to replace the belt then to use the tensioner.

I weighed my car with all the electronics plus a transponder and my car sat at 50 ounces. That's just as light as my FTTC3. With the body I'm just the legal limit of 53 ounces (without the transponder)
Old 04-14-2003, 04:07 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

With the mounting screws, the tensioner weighs 15 grams,

Thanks psycho. And I was just about to post about the stock trans mount too - you da man!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.