Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ta04r...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 02:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey guys,

thanx for all of your advice, yeah at first I thought it was the motor, I never put much trust in em, and if there is something I can't work out, i replace it straight away, howver, I'm now using a workmates motor, which has been run in properly and flies in his o4 (he runs at another track) so its not the motor, I'll get a 35pinion and try that.

As for my drive train, its as free as I can make it, I just finished rebuilding it, howver, i feel that the main belt is a little tight, with all my bearings they spin forever, and everything is free before it goes into the car, then when I put the top deck on it stretches it out a bit. I don't mind it being tight, but I think that it is causing a little bit of drag. I cut a little bit out of the front bulkhead to attempt to loosen it abit it, but I don't think I cut enough out. I'm at little aprehensive about doing that lol.

I can't get it anywhere close to as free as my Evo though
the car isn't slow but it isn't anywhere near the fast guys who are 3 seconds in front of me, i've got better consistency, but they got the speed down the straights.

The only other thing I can think of is my batteries, however, I can't change that at the moment, they are Tamiya 2400 packs and they are all peaking at over 2400 (except 1) so I think they are all right...at an indoor track they rock lol.

anyways, keep the tips rolling guys, any help is much appreciated
Old 10-21-2003, 10:25 AM
Tech Master

If you can plunk down some coin, you might pick up a nice matched set of 3300's. I bet you get some more speed out of those. In spec racing, voltage is your friend.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

yeah I'm going to order some Fukuyama Batteries in the next week or two I think, but I won't have em by the nationals, anyways, i'm practiscing all friday so I'll see what I can do.

Is there anyway to lossen the belt without cutting into the bulkhead?
Old 10-21-2003, 05:40 PM
Tech Master

I find that just pressing the belt until it touches the upper deck, then rotating the drivetrain does a pretty good job. It only takes a couple minutes of doing that to loosen it up a lot. I've seen guys put the belt tensioner on the car and crank it all the way down, then run a few packs through. I think that would put a lot of extra strain on the motor, so I wouldn't recommend that method.

Practice is good too. Just work on being nice and smooth out of the turns, getting a good launch onto the next section of track, and taking a tight line on the infield.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

yeah I think I might bolt in an old 16 turn triple and crank down the belt tensioner down and put a ocuple of packs through, doesn't matter if the motor blows.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default TA04 TRF Question

Hey Guys, I've got a quick question for those who have a TA04 TRF. Do the 26mm tires/wheels fit and does a Modena and NSX body fit as well with no rubbing?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Re: TA04 TRF Question

Originally posted by rtypec
Hey Guys, I've got a quick question for those who have a TA04 TRF. Do the 26mm tires/wheels fit and does a Modena and NSX body fit as well with no rubbing?

Thanks in advance.
I have not tried it with 26mm but it should!
It does come with 6mm Hex hubs (silver)

FYI: You will need short springs.

Will this be the ride For J-town?
Old 10-24-2003, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: TA04 TRF Question

Originally posted by izzyracer

Will this be the ride For J-town?
I don't think so. I received preliminary rules and it stated that the Evo3 will have a gearing disadvantage equivalent to one tooth down compared to a 414/TA04 (spec gearing). I picked up some 26mm tires for increased roll-out to recuperate some of the lost top end but they do not even come close to fitting the Evo3 withough spacing out the axles and once they're on, they rub the the body. It seems that 26mm tires and the Evo3 just don't like each other. Out of desperation last night, I put the 26mm tires on my beat up 04 and guess what? They fit and they don't rub the NSX body...the Modena is tight fit. I'm curious to know if the TA04 TRF has the same width as an 04R and if those bodies with 26mm tires fit. I'd hate to build one up and find out that they don't hehe.

Oh well...if all else fails, I'll have to figure something out with the Evo3 I guess.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: TA04 TRF Question

I can bring my TRF on Sunday if you like so that you can do a fitment test with the 26's
Did you know that the Ta04-TRF even comes with +2 offset wheels....not that it means anything?
Old 10-24-2003, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

I think a lot of the TA04's run with +2 offset wheels. Perhaps that's why I had no fitment problems with the 26mm wheels on the 04R.

I would rather not get a 04TRF because I'd have to learn a new car. The Evo3's pretty dialed but I don't know how much top end I will be loosing with the gearing/roll-out that I'd have to run.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

I say stick wiith the EVO 3. That's the car you know and I'm sure you can find a way to work within the rules

Good Luck!
Old 10-24-2003, 12:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default 414MII

is there a huge difference between an 04 and a 414? if so.. why not use a 414. once in a lifetime chance to race in japan, so im guessing you'd like to do really good.

what did the guys from last year use? hello izzy! PM me. curious to see if your gonna race FV
Old 10-24-2003, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: 414MII

Originally posted by Hebiki
is there a huge difference between an 04 and a 414? if so.. why not use a 414. once in a lifetime chance to race in japan, so im guessing you'd like to do really good.
As far as I know, the 414 isn't allowed to run in GT...correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I do have a 414, checked fitment, and it too cannot use the 26mm wheels because they rub the body.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

If I have a problem with the wheels rubbing the body, I don't let the car suffer because of the body, I usually just cut out the body until it doesn't rub. From a distance you don't see it, and its just a shell lol, I'd prefer to have the car winning races, and not looking good, i go through a body every 2 to 3 races meets lol.

regards, matt
Old 10-24-2003, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by hawker
If I have a problem with the wheels rubbing the body, I don't let the car suffer because of the body, I usually just cut out the body until it doesn't rub. From a distance you don't see it, and its just a shell lol, I'd prefer to have the car winning races, and not looking good, i go through a body every 2 to 3 races meets lol.

regards, matt
Hawker! RtypeC is setting up for the Tamiya Race in Japan and he has to stay within the body cut outlines as part of the rules. It's no local hobby race,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.