Wiki Posts
Search

The future of RC? - New Radio Technology

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 01:14 AM
TCR
Tech Addict

Default This thing has got to be proven now

WOW it looks like it performed well at the worlds, or at least a lot of people were using them

Old 11-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

At this weekends Region 12 Carpet Championships in Stockton, Matt Francis, Todd Hodge and Mark Dawson all had the new Spektrum systems on their radios and cars.

Matt Francis still leaves his regular M8 radio antenna in the full up position with the Spektrum even though it isn't needed. He says he likes the regular antenna to balance his radio. Pretty funny.

All of their Spektrum car antennas are cut to 3-1/2 inches and obviously work fine...Matt won going away.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by asw7576
I think the future of RC will be bleak...... it's gonna be replace by personal RC home simulator. Everyone could connect together through internet and race simultaneously.

In the future, people are spending more time at home ( working, sleeping, playing, etc) because energy will be scarce and become alarmingly expensive in future. No more oil, No cars..... perhaps only the rich who could afford cars.

So guys... enjoy your life now.
I don't think this is entirely accurate as new energy sources are coming to the attention of science. Electric powered vehicles are just the first step but advances in battery technology for full size cars will also lead to advances in radio control technology.. Computers have become smaller too hence smaller electronics for racers...pretty soon we will be checking our email and playing counterstrike with our radios.
Cars will not dissappear but they will likely evolve....magnetic and hydrogen power cars are definately the future of transportation. However with the current population trends, it is likely that our cities will become more populous and thus be more polluted. This will possibly lead to improvements in mass transit, as traffic would be a nightmare.
So I envision an active future in rc as well as a positive vision for the future of all.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

wut is the range on these?
Old 11-08-2004, 02:54 AM
TCR
Tech Addict

Originally posted by nick51
wut is the range on these?
Roughly 3000 feet
Old 11-27-2004, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by vtl1180ny
But that's what everyone keeps saying.... I don't remember band allocations anymore but the amout of traffic around the 72 and 27 mhz frequencies is a lot worse and alot higher power....

2.4ghz is not an optimimum frequency for a community wifi... It's too short range and you can't run enough wattage for it to really work well.... I've been an amateur radio operator for a long time.... I know all about wreaking havok with electronic devices.... I was also one who was against the FCC's rules governing who and what could transmit within certain frequencies... I've talked to people all over the world via 2 way radio, some of it legal, most of it not.... I have equipment that is borderline legal.... Any good tech can take a radio and make the FCC cringe...

If the new systems are going digital and sending packets that coincide with specific cap codes that interference is not really an issue... Your car reciever will only respond to a packet containing your cap code... You can all be on the same frequency and the guys transmitter next to you can not affect your car at all...
I was really hoping someone with a brain in the amateur radio world would respond to this, Im also a ham. 2.4 GHZ allows a higher baud rate than other freqs. So more data can been sent at a time. Plus with the Scan feature you do not have to worry about being on someones freq.

Cellphones are on 830 Mhz and parts of 900Mhz

the following are the channels/freqs allowed for home networks

Channel MHz
1 2412
2 2417
3 2422
4 2427
5 2432
6 2437
7 2442
8 2447
9 2452
10 2457
11 2462
12 2467
13 2472

Most likely the spectrum module will transmit into 2500 Mhz area (2.5Ghz).
Microwave ovens should not cause harm, Because they transmit on 2450mhz. But Remeber the good old rules of the FCC Part 15.

Now if you think of the transmitter and receiver like a personal transponder, Your radio has a GUID, much like the number on your personal transponder, your receiver is set to only listen to your radio.

Now for Cordless phones, there band plan is as follows

2400Mhz-2483Mhz

Now I just need to figure out If the Spectrum Module company filed for a Part of the band just for R/C, or if the Module falls under some type of other electronic device. HMMM...I will dig deap for this one, come monday.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Energy supply is not going to be a problem in the future- I have no idea where you came up with that. Fact is, that our technology will change with the supply and requirements of energy and will continue to be cleaner and less expensive after technology evolves past the learning stages.

I believe this DSM technology will totally change R/C racing. The possibilities are huge! Keep in mind that once DSM is integrated into beginner and mid-level radios it will make racing much simpler and easier for newbies. That in itself will help our hobby grow. Here's another thought- tracks with multiple r/c tracks will be able to run more than one type of racing at a time! Imagine the capablility of having the indoor oval track AND the out door nitro on-road or 1/8th scale off road track runing at the same time!

And speaking of energy, don't you realize what the hybrid automobile technology is going to do for our battery and motor technology in r/c racing? Battery and electric motor technology has always been growing because many small (relatively) areas of industry use them, but the automotive industry is HUGE and we'll see more new technology in the next ten years than we've seen in the last 25 years. I'll go out on a limb here and say that in our lifetime (I'm 34) we'll see electric 1/10th scale races that are 20-30 minutes long much like nitro sedans. We'll eventually have to have onboard monitors that record power consuption so we can guage how to gear our cars to last the full race length (again) much like nitro sedan. Or how about a battery that consumes itself and you simply throw the casing away when it dies and install a new one?

R/C racing has always been on the leading edge of technology and I believe we have a lot of cool new things to look forward to!
Old 11-29-2004, 10:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

My main question is, IS IT ROAR LEGAL! When I asked my region director, I was told only the frequencies listed in the rule book are allowed, and he did not plan to allow spectrum modules at ROAR Races. I know they have been run, but has anyone gotten written permission?
Old 11-29-2004, 12:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I think it has been approved by ROAR. They used it at our ROAR Region 12 champs and I know it was used by many guys at the worlds and if I'm not mistaken it had to be approved by ROAR in order to be apporved for the worlds.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

RADIO EQUIPMENT
1-51: Radios used in ROAR competition are limited to the following channels: 27 MHz–Channels
specifically, 26.995, 27.045, 27.095, 27.145, 27.195, 27.255.; 75 MHz–Channels 61 through 90, to
include odd and even numbered channels; 50 MHz–Channels 00, 02, 06, and 08; and 53 MHz–
Channels 100 through 800. Radio Shack Frequency Counter (Part # 22-305) or similar device is
recommended for testing for legal frequencies.
1-52: All radio equipment must conform to FCC rules. .(as far as i know the spectrum is FCC approved) Only narrow band (20 MHz spacing) radios
will be allowed to use the 75 MHz frequencies in ROAR competition.
1-53: A driver must use his assigned frequency. All frequency changes must be approved by the
Race Director. The use of reversed crystals is prohibited.
1-54: Drivers using 50 MHz and 53 MHz radios must have an FCC Amateur Radio license issued
for that radio in their possession. The use of radios operating on 29 MHz, 40 MHz, or CB (split)
channels is prohibited.
1-55: Radios will display the clip for the frequency used during practice. Participants must be able
to legally change frequencies. At Level 3 and 4 events, two alternate frequencies are required.
Now reading the Rules, I don't see anything that says its NOT legal. It is up to the RACE DIRECTOR.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by ukeejim
My main question is, IS IT ROAR LEGAL! When I asked my region director, I was told only the frequencies listed in the rule book are allowed, and he did not plan to allow spectrum modules at ROAR Races. I know they have been run, but has anyone gotten written permission?
The following is a quote from Rick Wilson, ROAR President, as it appeared in the "Ask questions to the ROAR President" thread on the ROAR Racing forum.

"The new radio system is FCC approved for RC racing. This system will be legal for ROAR racing in 2005."
Old 11-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

This system looks great!

I have a helios, and recievers cost $120 and crystals are $25.

If I get this system, I'll save a fortune!!!

Plus, no glitching!!!
Old 11-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Can we preorder these anywhere yet?

Josh
Old 11-29-2004, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Very nice.......yea, this might as well be the future of rc racing^_^. now..if i get this..no more"71!!ANYBODY IN THE PIT WITH 71?!?!" hehehe
Old 11-30-2004, 05:34 AM
Tech Elite

Before you go running out to get the Spektrum, check out Nomadio... www.nomadio.net The radio offers stuff that our 3PK's, M8, etc can only dream about.....

Both the Spektrum module and the Nomadio should be out at the same time.... Although the nomadio will be a bigger investment, you get a ton more with it.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.