The future of RC? - New Radio Technology

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The future of RC? - New Radio Technology

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 07:07 AM
Tech Elite

There is a company out there called Nomadio... The system they are offering isn't going to be able to use existing radio's but it is true 2-way... Everyone is actually on the same frequency but like your cellphone, beeper or whatever, each reciever has it's own unique Cap code... In order to talk to your reciever you need the right cap code in your transmitter... Actually, reciever and transmitter is no longer the word to use... it's Transciever....

We need to get out of the freaken dark ages here... Crystals are ancient technology... I have no idea why it's taken the RC world so many years to get away from them.... When was the last time you had to change a radio crystal in any radio but an RC one???

http://nomadio.net/index.html
Old 10-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I added to the thread title - this is too cool for anyone to miss out on what this discussion is about.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:45 PM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally posted by vtl1180ny
I have no idea why it's taken the RC world so many years to get away from them.
The answer is $$$. Just think about how much money the radio companies are going to lose in crystal sales once this kind of technology is in wide circulation.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Mo, that's no excuse.... I'm going to give up my 3PK and all my recievers when the Nomadio hits the streets... I'm also an owner of an EagleTree systems Data recorder that's going to go.... I like the Nomadio because I can monitor engine temp, voltage and speed right from my controller... It's about freaken time...
Old 10-17-2004, 04:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So, what happens when the ladies in the canteen use thier microwave to heat up something? What happens when someone uses thier wireless network on thier laptop? Remember that Microwaves, 802.11b/g wireless LANS, wireless network cameras, wireless this, wireless that all use the (very crowded) 2.4Ghz ISM band. Do you get glitching when these devices are used?
Old 10-17-2004, 05:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by mo
The answer is $$$. Just think about how much money the radio companies are going to lose in crystal sales once this kind of technology is in wide circulation.
They lost that ages ago when they came up with the ability to dial in your frequency on the tx and rx..
Old 10-17-2004, 05:14 AM
Tech Regular

at $160 it seems like a good deal

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Search/D...&OverallCatID=
Old 10-17-2004, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

So, what happens when the ladies in the canteen use thier microwave to heat up something? What happens when someone uses thier wireless network on thier laptop? Remember that Microwaves, 802.11b/g wireless LANS, wireless network cameras, wireless this, wireless that all use the (very crowded) 2.4Ghz ISM band. Do you get glitching when these devices are used?
Can you talk on your Cellphone while using the Microwave? Next to someone else on a Cellphone? While on your 802.11 network????

Analog and digital are 2 totaly different ways of sending data.... and frequencies that high are less prone to normal interference from the outside world.... The only 1 thing you lose by going up that high in the spectrum is range.... But I doubt any of us could see our cars more than a mile away....
Old 10-17-2004, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by vtl1180ny
Can you talk on your Cellphone while using the Microwave? Next to someone else on a Cellphone? While on your 802.11 network????

Analog and digital are 2 totaly different ways of sending data.... and frequencies that high are less prone to normal interference from the outside world.... The only 1 thing you lose by going up that high in the spectrum is range.... But I doubt any of us could see our cars more than a mile away....
Cellphones dont operate on 2.4ghz. Believe me, interferance is a problem on 2.4ghz. I am involved in a community wireless wide area network here and we're always looking for ways to overcome interferance from other 2.4ghz devices, weather that's another WIFI dish on a close channel or something else nearby... Of course these devices are often very close by also, a similar distance as someone on the drivers stand..
Old 10-17-2004, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Cellphones dont operate on 2.4ghz. Believe me, interferance is a problem on 2.4ghz. I am involved in a community wireless wide area network here and we're always looking for ways to overcome interferance from other 2.4ghz devices, weather that's another WIFI dish on a close channel or something else nearby... Of course these devices are often very close by also, a similar distance as someone on the drivers stand..
But that's what everyone keeps saying.... I don't remember band allocations anymore but the amout of traffic around the 72 and 27 mhz frequencies is a lot worse and alot higher power....

2.4ghz is not an optimimum frequency for a community wifi... It's too short range and you can't run enough wattage for it to really work well.... I've been an amateur radio operator for a long time.... I know all about wreaking havok with electronic devices.... I was also one who was against the FCC's rules governing who and what could transmit within certain frequencies... I've talked to people all over the world via 2 way radio, some of it legal, most of it not.... I have equipment that is borderline legal.... Any good tech can take a radio and make the FCC cringe...

If the new systems are going digital and sending packets that coincide with specific cap codes that interference is not really an issue... Your car reciever will only respond to a packet containing your cap code... You can all be on the same frequency and the guys transmitter next to you can not affect your car at all...
Old 10-17-2004, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Oh yea... You are in Australia... Your frequency allocations are very different from ours in the US, or Europe or Asia for that matter....
Old 10-18-2004, 12:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Talking R/C innovation

Originally posted by mo
Then they'll have to get going on this as well won't they. They can just contract them to build for them as well. I think this is going to be great, especially for me as a race director......No more worrying about channel clips being returned or people yelling at me for radio check in the pits.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

does anyone know if this will work with the Mars radio, or just the Helios?
Old 10-18-2004, 09:17 AM
X2
Tech Regular

Originally posted by clinttredway
does anyone know if this will work with the Mars radio, or just the Helios?
Simple way to find out, does the Helios' module work with the mars?
Old 10-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Tech Initiate

I bet Spektrum has done a lot of experiments over last couple years. As for 2.4GHz band, it really depends where the race track is. Since the WiFi is so popular right now, it might be a potential problem to run RC at 2.4GHz. Remeber, the direct sequence spread spectrum technology is supposed to work with received signal LOWER than the surrounded noise floor. That's why it was employed in the military.

But remember, for $159 set of spread spectrum RC set, the encoding mechanism is probably the same as your home 2.4GHz cordless phone. For a race of 10 radios in the track at the same time. It might not be a problem if there is not a lot of WiFi around you. However, during the practice time, if you have 20+ drivers using this technology, you might see some packet drops: which causes delay and glitch.

One thing they didn't mention is the current consumption of the receiver. Usually, for narrowband FM receiver, the technology has evolved so much that the existing FM receiver in the market consume so little current. However, for DSM, it will definitely draw more current than the FM receiver. It might eat into the runtime of your battery pack by certain amount. If you have a 2.4GHz DSSS phone at home, you'll know if you're on the phone for couple hrs, you'll need to recharge the phone.

Just my two cents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.