Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The future of RC? - New Radio Technology

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you are correct, 60% or more are people with problems. But think about this how many of us post randomly that our stuff is working? i don't remember ever posting that my trc foams are working as described. I don't remember posting that my hudy wrenchs are still working after 1 year of ownership. let me see, my walmart pit light is still running and I never posted on walmart's site that all is fine. most of these thread are information gathering threads. you post a problem and hope that other people have found a resoltution.

I probably am the most active poster on the spektrum thread. I had a problem with mine and then went to horizon's tech support to get it resolve. I had no luck and started posting, hoping this forum would provide me with some resolution. I tried all the home remodies. Finaly I got intouch with the right guys at horizon (from these forums) and found that I truely just had a defective rx. not one with a bug, but one wit a problem bind button. I recieved a new rx almost 4 weeks after purchasing the spektrum. installed the new rx and put it on the track this weekend. Had a problem in the first qual. found that my rx pack was shorting. fixed the problem. and the spektrum worked flawless all weekend long. horizon does have units that need a "bug" fix. not sure what those number are. They had a total of 7 units that were defective as mine. I would guess that they have more then 10000 units out there. so as far as beign MS, that is 7 out of 10000. I don't think, and actually I "know" MS does not have that good of a track record.

The problem that we have accepted in new technology is that we don't expect 100% when it first comes out. And 100% is not always attainable. But I do believe horizon is working toward that. I got a call from teh product manager of spektrum and he appologized to me for my problems and explained that under normal conditions, the rx has been returned to the customer in 1-2 weeks. mine was special and if he was not out promoting the spektrum at all the hobby shows, he would have addressed mine sooner. so it was just bad timing.

If you do have a problem with spektrum, I encourage you to get with horizon. If that has not helped, ask the tech to escalate the problem. They will resolve your problems.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
You think you actually know the number of defective ones like yours... now that's laughable ... but your point was noted -JB
Old 04-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Well I would like to say my spektrum works fine

its great. I love a guy asking me what freq I am on. And I respond with a grin spektrum. or see some guy scrambling for a free freq or yelling to the annoucer somone cut on channel 65.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Default Nomadio

I held one this weekend. It seems solid. If you can get over the weird feel of the wheel placement and the look of the radio this might be an option.
I myslef will be waiting for the new M 8
Old 04-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JayBee
You think you actually know the number of defective ones like yours... now that's laughable ... but your point was noted -JB
Not really. Everyone that I know that has tried one has had problems, including myself.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Default It seems like more electric guys are having issues

When guys ask me questions about it I tell them if you have glitching problems with your current equipment the speckturm wont fix your problem. Have you ever noticed it is always the same people who always get radio hits.

There is one guy at my track that has been racing for years and I dont think his motor has ever stayed on for a whole qual.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I got mine yesterday and after a few packs and 3 heats of indoor racing the system was faultless. I did the capacitor/receiver trick right away as I always do anyway.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Tech Elite

Just curious guys, are any of the tracks you're racing at still impound your DSM radios???

Just trying to figure out if this is something that should still be done with DSM users or not.

Thanks.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Ray Murray
Just curious guys, are any of the tracks you're racing at still impound your DSM radios???
The ones that dont understand the technology probably will..

We have a big meet coming up next month, im sure they'll impound them then.

Even still, its probly best to just comply and let them impound it anyway.

Originally posted by Ray Murray

Just trying to figure out if this is something that should still be done with DSM users or not.
IMHO, no. The technology prevents the problems of the old system, as you no-doubt already know.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by JayBee
I'm starting to think these Spektrum systems are garbage, I mean, I know folks who got the 'supposedly' GLITCH-FREE second batch systems and they're still having problems. I don't care what the excuse is... research & development means just that, RESEARCH IT THEN DEVELOP IT! It seems like there is ALOT of wasted time and money by Horizon fixin' and returning these items to people. How long has this been going on, I mean DAMN, maybe they should've waited 6months and addressed these problems after putting these systems into the hands of a few more everyday drivers.
Sorry for the vent but I've been following this thread and a couple of others and 60% or more of the comments are how these systems are not working. Why does the customer have to figure out compatibility issues? I think the Microsoft analogy is SPOT-ON...Oh, and have nice day -JB
I guess since I have moved into the plug and play era I guess I was expecting too much. I bought a GE 2.4 cordless phone with 2 handsets. I didn't have to send it back to get it programed, find out if it was the new or old version, or install "caps" in the handsets. I didn't have to not use it while standing on carpet or too close to the microwave. Aparently GE had worked out the problems with the technology before they sold them. I guess I was expecting the same from Horizon. If it needs a "cap" to work, after 6 months of being on the market why don't they install one internally or give you one with the Futaba version that just came out?
Old 04-19-2005, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Default You know for guys that are skeptical just dont buy it

If you want to continue taking chances on someone cutting on there radio or waiting in line for a clip then go right ahead. It just seems to me that the guys that are against the spektrum truly want to run the system themselves and are just upset because they can't.
I you run electric with it you have to add a cap, so what. If you run a novak speedo you need a skotty diode and the big cap. LRP has had recals on there charger and I just sent back a FMA charger in which tech guy said they just blow up sometimes and we dont know why.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can you tell me what capacitor this is and how do I install it?
Old 04-19-2005, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by SlickZero.com
Can you tell me what capacitor this is and how do I install it?
in this thread, there are a couple of guys that have installed cap. they have the info on how to install them. Also I heard that horizon is putting together a cap just for those esc that have low bec voltages.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...&pagenumber=18
Old 04-19-2005, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Its a compatability issue.

Does Apple software run on a PC.....no.

So certain servos draw too much current for the speedo to run the servo and reciever at the same time. That ins't Spektrums fault. Yeah, they should have tested it with those speedos. Maybe it worked for them.

Why is it that I have some motors that glitch. Or they have burned up cause T didn't weld the tabs good enough. Or there were holes not drilled in some of the parts in my kit.

Isht happens. So put in the capacitor, its $5 and it works fine. Does you GE phone work with a panasonic home base?
Old 04-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

what kind of plugs do the recievers use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.