I F M A R starts or heads up

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Everyones job

Originally posted by Silver Cup
Agree to dissagree TonyV
Sure, everyone's entitled to an opinion . I fully agree with you on the club level and even international level racing, IF this is the only thing that is talked about on the stand and doesn't lead to continuous talking. Problem is, talking once allowed, quickly goes beyond this (I know, make the same mistake myself and includes anything from stating "I have no grip, car is sliding all over the place" (nobody else on the stand is interested...) to less "buddy like" statements and swearing.

When you are driving a (major) event you want to, no need to, concentrate on driving your car. This makes you faster, makes it less likely that you go off and possibly most importantly less likely that you take someone else out. Talking definitely does not help your concentration nor anyone else's.

This is why in most national and international rule books there are rules governing speaking on the stand. In electric racing it is even not allowed for your pit man to call out and/or coach the driver. In gas powered racing that obviously would not work as the pit man at least has to able to call you into the pits.

The problem with this type of rule, like many others, is where to draw the line and how to maintain it. The more fancy you draw it, the more likely it will be unclear and lead to problems. (Check the Electric On Road WC thread with regards to IFMAR's body homologation rule and you'll understand where I am going with this ).
Old 10-10-2004, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Everyones job

Originally posted by tonyv
Sure, everyone's entitled to an opinion . I fully agree with you on the club level and even international level racing, IF this is the only thing that is talked about on the stand and doesn't lead to continuous talking.

The problem with this type of rule, like many others, is where to draw the line and how to maintain it. The more fancy you draw it, the more likely it will be unclear and lead to problems. (Check the Electric On Road WC thread with regards to IFMAR's body homologation rule and you'll understand where I am going with this ).
Gotcha!! No harm meant at all, we are just racing on a much lower level and having FUN!!
Old 10-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

I haven't read all of the posts so forgive me if I'm going over old ground. The best starting method I have used is ifmar with a resort after each run within that heat to put the fastest car out first and the slowest out last. The problem I have been seeing in some races though is the gap between cars is way too long, sometimes almost 2 seconds. This means that the leader is passing the last placed driver on the second or third lap. if we go for a max gap of half a second, it is enough to spread out the start giving the lead car enough space to get into his rythm before having to pass anybody. No matter how much people like to see racing, qualifying is against the clock. Of course at a local club race it doesn't really matter but when you get to regionals and above it does get important.
Old 10-10-2004, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Post On a different level

Yep, your right.....Club racing is much different than the big races and maybe some IFMAR starts every now and then at the club level would be fine, especially to prepare club guys for a "big" event.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:33 AM
Tech Adept

IFMAR - Heads Up a never ending debate. Or is it?

What we have seen is that newer drivers, that run at a club that uses IFMAR starts, never learn to start heads up for the mains well. I also personally feel even with IFMAR the cars starting up front get a better run, no cars to drive around for awhile. This might not hold true for A main type drivers but as you go down the heats it gets worse.

We had our first indoor race of the season last night and tried something different.

First heat standard IFMAR, 1 2 3 4 5 6.
Second heat inverse IFMAR, 6 5 4 3 2 1.
Third Heat Heads up.

Everyone gets to start towards the front, everyone gets two heats to get a good qualifying run, everyone gets practice for starting mains, and everyone seemed happy.

The best of both worlds? We'll let ya know.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by Silver Cup
Do they have heads up in real race car quals? (not sure since I don't watch a lot of racing) Only in Drag racing that I know of.

sorry ben, even in drag racing your racing the clock. and as far as big race vs. club race. up here in the northwest we must have the best run club races in the nation cause the recent nats in portland was just that, a big club race with big name drivers. i didn't see anything been run different then any of the club races i've been to up here. as far as the heads up thing, i drive better with other cars around me so i prefer head up. and the way to cure the hacking and blocking, respect. everyone knows whos faster then who, so give a little extra room. at a tcs regional last year i was leading the f-1 heat, (the only qualifing heat due to rain) a faster driver from canada caught me and i said, i'm going wide in the next turn take the inside, he did, but it shocked the hell outta him that i or anyone would do that, whats the point of holding up a faster driver, so that he can crash trying to pass me, or crash me, hes faster, go for it, i'll follow your lines and get faster myself, however at the above mention nats, in the 3rd main, i was blocking like crazy, cause that was for finishing position, and i did end up being taking out so i would have been better off letting him go. anyway sorry if that was off topic and boring. later

hey mal, how ya been, long time no see. take care.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by Robertw321
IFMAR - Heads Up a never ending debate. Or is it?

First heat standard IFMAR, 1 2 3 4 5 6.
Second heat inverse IFMAR, 6 5 4 3 2 1.
Third Heat Heads up.

The best of both worlds? We'll let ya know.
thats how most of the tracks around here do it, but the 3rd qualifier is qualifing order.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:52 AM
Tech Regular

In the Netherlands the first heat is IFMAR according to starting number. The following rounds it is again IFMAR with the driver with the fastest time sofar starting first. This way you get the least possible need for overtaking as the fastest driver has the clear track and the slowest sofar starts last.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

IFMAR for the heats,a nd heads up for the main, that means if i am starting last cause i got hacked (happens lots) i have a better chance of getting my trade mark second place, or my almost never 1st!