Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent 1:10 F1

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for posting the build links dirtmonkey. I decided I would give onroad a try after years of offroad racing. I purchased a used f109 an took it for a skid, my buddy had a serpent F110 there and I also had a skid of that. We run on a fairly open asphalt surface and the f109 was fast but on edge, the serpent was dialled! It was running at 180mm on foams and seriously I could not spin this car no matter how hard I pushed.
I liked it so much that I went and brought one. While assembling it, I noticed the side damper didn't have the hole drilled, it was solid. The shop has given me another piece out of their other kit, however just wondering if anyone else has had this?

Great car and my first meeting is a big championship meeting so hopefully it goes well.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bigz84
yesterday I put some practice laps on this car, on an indoor carpet track. The car is fun to drive. With the recommended rubber tire carpet setup, the set up sheet calls for 2mm spacer on the front bulkhead and 2mm spacer on the servo mount. you will need to use a longer screw on the servo mount for that ball and you will need a longer set screw (I am going to use a m3x8) to screw into the front bulk head to use these 2mm spacers.

I managed to use 1mm spacers at both points w/ stock parts to see if I liked these settings. So far I do, as the car has great turn in and the rear end stays planted.

the plastic bulkhead did strip a little, but a little ca glue has cured that for the time being. Once the aluminum bulkhead is available, I will purchase.

Not practicing w/ any other F1s, I couldn't gauge how well the car is. Other racers at the track said the car looked good.

I am going to race this car against some known fast people at the Halloween Classic in Cleveland this weekend, and hopefully this car, and it's driver, can perform well.

will let you know....
With the stock setup and using the Pardus tires, are you getting any wheel chatter/hop? Are you supergluing the sidewalls of the tires?
Old 10-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~
With the stock setup and using the Pardus tires, are you getting any wheel chatter/hop? Are you supergluing the sidewalls of the tires?
Hi,
Nope, no glue on the sidewalls. When would you wheel hop? I'm assuming you mean rear hop? I did have it, but it was because of the way I drove the car, not because of the car's setup. If I drove it smooth, the car reacted great.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Three questions for anyone who can help out:

1) Are you guys running the Exotek +3mm offset rims? (to get that wider track 189)
2) What compound Shimizu tires are you running front/rear for indoor carpet? (Soft front 571 / Hard rear 572?
3) Does the F110 come with all the different shims/ride height adapters or do you have to purchase those separately?

EDIT: I read the install pdf and see you have to cut your servo ears off to work with this car. Thats sad, I have to ruin a servo to run this car. For me it's almost a deal breaker because I share my electronics between r/c. I race off road during warmer months and on road during winter months. Not sure why they couldn't design it to lay flat like traditional pan cars or even lay it on its back so that the arm is facing upwards...

Last edited by SNIPR; 10-28-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:29 AM
Tech Regular

hello
2)for indoor you can use 571/572 or 574/572 for a better front grip
3)no need to buy more shims
Old 11-04-2013, 05:29 AM
Tech Master

For those running the Pardus tires on carpet

Beginning with the base Serpent carpet setup, I made these changes:

Run the 0/20 rear axle height insert and use the 1mm front ride height spacer in addition to the 2.5mm one (total of 3.5mm).

Run the 6-degrees of caster setting (14.4mm link length).

Use the kit grey spring instead of the orange.

Zero front toe-in.

SXT compound full rear and inside 1/4 of front.

No glue on the sidewalls.

This was run on an 80' x 40' track with low-to-medium grip. These changes helped smooth the car out quite a bit, since the base set-up was extremely aggressive.

I have tried various front and side springs as well, but eventually came back to the 26 fronts / 5.5 sides.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ~McSmooth~
For those running the Pardus tires on carpet

Beginning with the base Serpent carpet setup, I made these changes:

Run the 0/20 rear axle height insert and use the 1mm front ride height spacer in addition to the 2.5mm one (total of 3.5mm).

Run the 6-degrees of caster setting (14.4mm link length).

Use the kit grey spring instead of the orange.

Zero front toe-in.

SXT compound full rear and inside 1/4 of front.

No glue on the sidewalls.

This was run on an 80' x 40' track with low-to-medium grip. These changes helped smooth the car out quite a bit, since the base set-up was extremely aggressive.

I have tried various front and side springs as well, but eventually came back to the 26 fronts / 5.5 sides.
Thanks a lot for the setup. Will give it a go!

What is most peoples medium grip/technical asphalt setup 180mm on ride rubber Tyres? Starting from the base setup what has been the biggest positive setup change people have found? I'm coming from years of Nitro on road 1/8th and so my first F1 pan car!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Thanks a lot for the setup. Will give it a go!

What is most peoples medium grip/technical asphalt setup 180mm on ride rubber Tyres? Starting from the base setup what has been the biggest positive setup change people have found? I'm coming from years of Nitro on road 1/8th and so my first F1 pan car!
^^^Bump^^^

Also, is anyone going to TITC in Feb next year with the F110? I have registered and will be going with my F110 and the S411. Really the base setup I'm after is a good starting point for the Huge RC track in Bangkok it looks technical and probably fairly high grip asphalt. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Another Q. I have the Tamiya Ferrari F2012 body set to fit on the car is it best to use the Serpent wings front and rear or the Tamiya ones or a combination?

Thanks for your help guys and bear with me as its my first pan car!!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SNIPR
I have to ruin a servo to run this car. For me it's almost a deal breaker because I share my electronics between r/c.

You can buy spare cases for most if not all servos.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Alu Bulkhead
Attached Thumbnails Serpent 1:10 F1-ser-411315.jpg  
Old 11-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for stocking parts RCMarket. It's the only place I can find parts for the car. Already ordered the new part. I broke the plastic part the first race day.

I use a low profile savox 1251 servo. Yes you need to cut half of the ears off the case, but it is easy and cheap to get a new part. RCMarket has them for less than $5.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
Alu Bulkhead
Tried to order one today and it was out of stock

When are you expecting new stock to arrive RC MARKET?
Old 11-15-2013, 01:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Tried to order one today and it was out of stock

When are you expecting new stock to arrive RC MARKET?

we can send it out today
Old 11-16-2013, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by border r/c
we can send it out today
Great!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DIRTMONKEY
Not much happening here, must be all apples with the F1.

The 200mm front is now available part numbers #411313
Front set wide F110 and spare arms #411314
Suspension arm L+R wide carbon F110, I know most if not all of the US is 180mm but I thought I'd put it out there.

So far things have been going well with the F110 each run is getting better with the car.

We've had the front bulkhead revised here in OZ. My team mate (a fitter and turner) has made it from aliuminium with great results I'll post pics tomorrow.

Other things I've done to date is 2mm spacers under the front top arm giving more roll center, caster is now also at 6 deg, and the side springs are now 6.25 AE springs. Next test is to try out all front springs. Here in OZ the tracks are slightly more rougher and the softer springs that the TAMIYA drivers are using aren't working as well for me with the F110 so I'll try going harder and see what happens.

This body is for use only for the camera when videoing races.

Until next time WILL
That's great,very cool

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.