Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Losi JRXS

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I have mounted my fan on the side to ensure I get maximum airflow across the endbell (and also aids forward acceleration ). I use a 1 x 40mm fan, which blows more air, uses less current, and weights less the 2 x 25mm fans. It is mounted off lexan which allows it the fold if the car is hit from the side. I've been running this configuration for more then 9 months now and yes it has been slightly damaged from side impacts, but it is still working fine.....
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS-106_0630_1.jpg   Team Losi JRXS-106_0631_1.jpg  
Old 05-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Fans

Has anyone thought about thermastatically controlled fan/s that would only cut in when they are needed? No drain on battery until you need it. I also wondered about a beeper or a led of some sort that would go off or on when a certain temp is hit just as a tuning/gearing thing for testing. Either one of these would be very simple circuits to make, durable and weigh next to nothing. Course its not as nice as telemetry but it would be alot cheaper.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Tech Adept

I think with the very low current draw of the fans and the greater capacity of the new batteries you would not notice any diference running the fans all the time as opposed to thermostaticly controlled. You want the motor as cool as possible so running fans all the times would be an advantage. Also the added weight of the circuitry comes into play too. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 2-Bad
I have mounted my fan on the side to ensure I get maximum airflow across the endbell (and also aids forward acceleration ). I use a 1 x 40mm fan, which blows more air, uses less current, and weights less the 2 x 25mm fans. It is mounted off lexan which allows it the fold if the car is hit from the side. I've been running this configuration for more then 9 months now and yes it has been slightly damaged from side impacts, but it is still working fine.....
Not Bad 2Bad
But you could do with one over the motor can itself as then the magnets within the can will stop over heating, and help stop the motor from going soft
Cheers Malc THE CAN MAN
But a little vaunrable dont you think
Old 05-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Has anyone thought about thermastatically controlled fan/s that would only cut in when they are needed? No drain on battery until you need it. I also wondered about a beeper or a led of some sort that would go off or on when a certain temp is hit just as a tuning/gearing thing for testing. Either one of these would be very simple circuits to make, durable and weigh next to nothing. Course its not as nice as telemetry but it would be alot cheaper.
The fans we use have such a minimum amount of draw you would NOT feel it The wieght of the fans equate to 12 grams in total and push out 2.2 cmf.
The great thing is that we all have to add wieght to our light wieght Losi, so why not use it constructivley
Cheers Malc THE CAN MAN
Pops, Socal, Pookyt, Bill, even Todd himself has used the CCF and has liked it,
QUOTE I have received the items however I have not used them yet. The drill shaft is awesome. I have been trying to get TL to put extra holes in teh cvd's for quite some time but they will not because of cost issues. Now racers can do it themselves...very nice. The top deck is really trick...nice job.
UNQUOTE

The pic of the ICCF is of a early version as does NOT have the holes showing the extra akaman that was first ued by Todd (Todd's idea)
Sorry about the quality of the pic of the ICCF

If anyone would like more info, just ask
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS-cool-can-fan-images-cars-058.jpg   Team Losi JRXS-drillshaft.jpg  

Last edited by TheCoolCanFanMan; 05-02-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I have in the past put in series a bimetallic switch (setting 50 deg C), but due to its size and the round surface of the motor it was difficult to mount. Also, as Jim said the battery capacities have eliminated the current draw concerns over the recent years.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TheCoolCanFanMan
Not Bad 2Bad
But you could do with one over the motor can itself as then the magnets within the can will stop over heating, and help stop the motor from going soft
Cheers Malc THE CAN MAN
But a little vaunrable dont you think

As J.Filipow has said, and I agree that it's more important to keep the endbell cool. I believe (rightly or wrongly) that we are more at risk of de-soldering brush shunts & motor wires then motor fade. And as the fan is blowing over the endbell it is also partly blowing across the can as well. Without the fan, in the middle of the Australian Summer (60 deg C track temp's) I've de-soldered both brush shunts and the positive wire off motors during a race. With the fan I can run 7x1 as hard as I like, without motor fade, de-soldering, or dumping .
Old 05-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

As J.Filipow has said, and I agree that it's more important to keep the endbell cool. I believe (rightly or wrongly) that we are more at risk of de-soldering brush shunts & motor wires then motor fade. And as the fan is blowing over the endbell it is also partly blowing across the can as well. Without the fan, in the middle of the Australian Summer (60 deg C track temp's) I've de-soldered both brush shunts and the positive wire off motors during a race. With the fan I can run 7x1 as hard as I like, without motor fade, de-soldering, or dumping .
Here in the UK we are more on the side of stock and super stock therefore these motors take lot of punishment when it comes to keeping the power on most of the time, where as the modified guy's are backing of the throtel to get round corners (well they should ) and therefore I have to say that it is the stock and super stock drivers that are the ones that purchase a CCF
Cheers Malc THE CAN MAN
And there was me thinking you was ignoring me
Old 05-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Here in the UK we are more on the side of stock and super stock therefore these motors take lot of punishment when it comes to keeping the power on most of the time,
Yes you're probably right, stock drivers never back-off for corners..

And there was me thinking you was ignoring me
Hmm, why would you think that Apologies if I have....
Old 05-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have noticed running oval that our stock motors get REALLY hot over the 5 minute run and the fans are good for a 1/10 per lap after the 3 minute mark. Now that we will be going to 4200's I think heat will be an even bigger factor with summer just around the corner.

I still stand behind my theory of pulling hot air from the can vent holes and blowing air into the endbell cooling the com and brushes. When a motor runs air is blown out of the can vent holes so if fans are blowing that hot air back on the can IMHO it would cause the can to generate more heat and more magnet fade during the run. Blowing air over the com and brushes will help keep the brush from "baking" plus you are cooling the copper brush hoods and com as well.

Those are just my thoughts and experiences from testing the dual fans.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

Yes you're probably right, stock drivers never back-off for corners..

Hmm, why would you think that Apologies if I have....
Apoligies not needed 2Bad, sometimes us limies feel we get left out
Corners, what are corners
TCCFM
Old 05-02-2006, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tornado_Racing

I still stand behind my theory of pulling hot air from the can vent holes and blowing air into the endbell cooling the com and brushes. When a motor runs air is blown out of the can vent holes so if fans are blowing that hot air back on the can IMHO it would cause the can to generate more heat and more magnet fade during the run. Blowing air over the com and brushes will help keep the brush from "baking" plus you are cooling the copper brush hoods and com as well.

Those are just my thoughts and experiences from testing the dual fans.
We all have our different theorys, and see where your coming from Tornado Racing, so will give it ago over the weekend, as i not one for disputing the fact unless ive tried it myself Its just that I thought that motors have different characturistcs, some blow air out of the cans where some suck in air and blow it out of the other side, this is what I have found on the motors I have tried, but as I say I will give it a whirl so to speak
Cheers Malc THE CAN MAN
Old 05-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We all have our different theorys, and see where your coming from Tornado Racing, so will give it ago over the weekend, as i not one for disputing the fact unless ive tried it myself Its just that I thought that motors have different characturistcs, some blow air out of the cans where some suck in air and blow it out of the other side, this is what I have found on the motors I have tried, but as I say I will give it a whirl so to speak
Cheers Malc THE CAN MAN
Kool deal, let us know your findings.

Unless it's a reverse rotation and wired backwards all motors will push some form of air through the vent holes.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Where can i find Keith b carpet setup?
Old 05-02-2006, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

I love the CCF unit and either pulling or pushing air is a benefit over NO fan!!!! The CF top deck is of factory quality or better!. Besides I am lazy and with this unit all I had to do was bolt it on and hook up my switch! With the crazy X-Ray drivers at my home track, a side mounted fan is NOT an option!

P.S. Malc........Do I get a free drive shaft drill thingy now??????

Brant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.