Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Losi JRXS

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Weliin, the Parma Alfa is said to be the best carpet body. But I heard something interesting on "SPEED" a few weeks ago.

A Nascar race at a 1.45 mile track where one of the leaders got caught in a collision and bent a front fender pretty badly, it was all twisted up and out over the front tire on the left side. The crew bent it back a little, so it at least wasn't sticking out.
What was interesting was what the announcers said about it. One asked about the effect the damage would have on the Aero package they spend so much time testing in wind tunnels to perfect. The other replied that since average lap speeds at that track are "only 124 mph" it wouldn't be much of a factor in the race.

Kinda makes you wonder how much of an aero difference there is between a Losi Alfa and Parma Alfa at an average lap speed of 15 mph? I think what we feel on the track may be more due to overall hieght and weight distribution of the body over the car, especially since half of any aero package involves the underside, which is open on our R/C cars.....jmo......, Jim
Old 10-21-2005, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

but if you relate 15 to 1/10 scale that would be 150, and the full size weight to scale weight is totally different to, so aero might actually come into more effect, than it does on a cup car........
Old 10-21-2005, 07:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
Weliin, the Parma Alfa is said to be the best carpet body. But I heard something interesting on "SPEED" a few weeks ago.

A Nascar race at a 1.45 mile track where one of the leaders got caught in a collision and bent a front fender pretty badly, it was all twisted up and out over the front tire on the left side. The crew bent it back a little, so it at least wasn't sticking out.
What was interesting was what the announcers said about it. One asked about the effect the damage would have on the Aero package they spend so much time testing in wind tunnels to perfect. The other replied that since average lap speeds at that track are "only 124 mph" it wouldn't be much of a factor in the race.

Kinda makes you wonder how much of an aero difference there is between a Losi Alfa and Parma Alfa at an average lap speed of 15 mph? I think what we feel on the track may be more due to overall hieght and weight distribution of the body over the car, especially since half of any aero package involves the underside, which is open on our R/C cars.....jmo......, Jim
I would attend to agree with you. Not sure if they are still using them but back in the early 90s on the high speed ovals the oval guys was using under bodies.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mdoc
but if you relate 15 to 1/10 scale that would be 150, and the full size weight to scale weight is totally different to, so aero might actually come into more effect, than it does on a cup car........
Yes but your not increasing the air density by x10
Old 10-21-2005, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have been considering testing out an under body to see what the effects would be. I know that the turbulent air flow created under the car is not helping. I just need to find a piece of lexan.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by losiboys
Yes but your not increasing the air density by x10

exactly...if the air density was increased then the aero wouldnt be as important for down force
Old 10-21-2005, 10:02 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Going to practice with my JRXS in an hour or so. Was wondering how much different the handling is from the box stock setup to the Meuman setup on asphalt? I bought the car used and it has the Neuman setup on it already but just checking to see if anyone has ran both setups with rubber tires on apshalt.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:06 AM
The Evicerator

I would say stick with the numan setup... it is further up the evolutionary chain than the kit setup
Old 10-21-2005, 03:32 PM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Yeti35
Try the Numan setup, that is what I used in LV at IIC. Only thing I did not use was the spool, just ran a diff up front. It will give you some place to start at least.
Ok. It's worth a try. I tried the kit setup. All i did was go 50# front & 20# in rear springs along with the sway bar in rear. Didn't have enough off power turn in and rear slid out on exit.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The rubber "o rings" on the one way outdrives...what benefit do they have?

thanks
Tim
Old 10-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

MDoc, scale speed and things in scale are usually not true, and definatly not linear, since speed can't be measured in scale, just like aerodynamics. 15 mph is 15 mph when it comes to aero. The air isn't worried about the size of a wing, or car body, or car.

Underpans are illegal according to ROAR rules.......Not to mention the heat factor in modified sedan, which already use fans top keep the wires and brushes on the endbell.

I've been working on a way to test aero more effectively on our cars, but it is proving costly and difficult to measure at such slow speed. In most turns when people say they get more steering from a certain body in 180's the car is down under 6 or even 5 mph. I haven't given up yet though.......hmmmmm, Jim
Old 10-21-2005, 04:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

if the air isnt worried about the size of the wing or body shape, then why do bodies have such a big effect on the handling of the car?
and if speed cant be measured in scale, then who came up with scale speed
Old 10-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Tech Master

size and weight have everything to do with changes in aero, weld a nascar body together with no car under it, and put it on the ground....blow 10 mile an hr wind on it....nothing would happen.....do the same with an rc body....

tires on an rc, or anything for that matter, use friction to turn or move the car....different bodies change the amount of friction the tire has to use by changing the amount of downforce it has on the tires, no an rc car doesnt get as much downforce as a cup car...but it also dosent have the same power to control or the same amount of weight to make change directions....run 20 timed laps with a well trimed body on an average track....then take the body off and try 20 more.......
Old 10-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Timmy_G
The rubber "o rings" on the one way outdrives...what benefit do they have?

thanks
Tim
They hold the bearing's in ... I tried running without them once - what a mess - I suggest you run them.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i never noticed a HUGE difference between bodies in handling....i guess i dont know how to race these things

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.