Wiki Posts
Search

Team Losi JRXS

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by Rich Trujillo
Although I do not have first hand experience with the 3700's, I do not remember seeing the guys have to chop up their cars like the above pictures...
Richard Trujillo
Team Losi
FIRST, lets get one thing straight, I didn't "chop up" s***. I took my time and took off only what was needed to get my pack in. I didn't just start hacking away. I spent hours.....HOURS!!! trimming and fitting just to get the pack in.

Secondly, l never said ANYBODY should do what I did. POOKYT asked for picks, so I posted them.

If ANYBODY has doubts about my methods, pick up a pack of GP3700 w/shrink wrap and try to fit them in...just try. As I said in my previos posts...IF ANYBODY HAS A EASIER WAY, PLEASE POST IT, that includes regular people AND team people.

I don't want anybody to have to go through all that to get in their pack in. And if someone comes up with a simpler method, please share, cause I'll be the first person ordering new rear bulkheads and a battery tray to do the simpler method.

But for now, this was the only way I could find. And I ONLY posted the pics cause a fellow board member asked for help.

So unless you know a better way, please save the "chop up" comments.

The sad part is, right before I posted the pics, I told my wife that someone (who hasn't tried to fit the 3700 pack in) will have some kind of comments about how this or that wasn't neccesary, and I knew I would regret even bringing up the problem I had...cause as we all know Losi is perfect.

I should have went with my first thought and not even brought up my problem or the my solution...I'll know better next time.

Never said anything bad about the car, just offered up a solution to a problem...

Anyway....

To the people who have doubts...My info is on a take it or leave it basis...don't like it, don't use it.<brushing my shoulder off...>

For those who might need the info, good luck and I hope it works out for you like it did for me.

-Darkseid

Last edited by Darkseid; 04-23-2005 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Regional Moderator

Default Re: I have to ask...

Originally posted by blownawayig
I know that this is a "PRO" type of car, but is it really necessary to have to do all of this, cutting, grinding, filing and fitting just to get the car to the track?

I really love the car so far, of coarse I'm only on bag "D". And I've only encountered a few little problems so far, however, I have not yet tried to get my batteries in it yet other that a test fit to find out the Deans Battery Bars are too wide. However, I have 7 sets of the older style GP3300's that are basically useless, and they're almost new.

I would think that all of this hacking, cutting and other stuff thats taking place does nothing for the structural integrity of the parts being hacked. I would think that removing any material from the back bulk head would have to weaken the bulkhead as well as the diff mounting. And grinding away at the center shaft plates can't be good.

I would think that before one goes thru all of the rather drastic measures, maybe we should wait to get the Factory guys take and tips on all of this. Because I find it really hard to believe that Team Losi's intent was to design and produce a car that right out of the box need MAJOR modifications and fitting just to get the absolute basics into the car, such as THE BATTERY PACK. I understand that there is always a little fitting that is necessary, usually to free up arms, of maybe align something, or to get a servo or something to fit. But what I have read here, seen here, and am not looking forwaard to doing to my JRXS is just ALOT beyond what should have to be done for a PRO type of car. I've raced BMX, MTB's, 80cc Shifter Karts, MX and I fly both Fixed and Rotor Wing R/C, and have never had to do anything close to what is being done, told or shown to get things to work out of the box.

So if any of the Team Losi Racers, engineers or tech guys would care to let everyone in on the RIGHT things to do, please, show us. The Team cars that I have seen, don't show the kinds of alterations that I have seen on this thread. Attached is a pic of Matts car from the JRXS site. Looks box stock to me...
I really hope your right. I would like to believe that I just plain missed something simple while doing the battery stuff. But there were so many areas that interfered with the pack that I find it hard to believe that all it will take is a battery tray to fix it.

One thing is odd though, all the team guys keeop saying they haven't tried it with the 3700 yet, but when people asked way back when, they said "slight modifications".

So if they didn't try the packs, who did?

Other than the battery issues though, the cars seems to be really nice. Can't wait to try it tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Battery Fit,,,

Well, with just a minimal amount of work, I was able to get my GP3300's to fit. Well, My older style GP3300's (green and purple) to fit.

I don't have any 3700 or 3800's yet, but I have a bunch of the GP3300 green and purple batteries, And I was told they won't fit, and I tried it and TRUE, they didn't. But....

I removed a very minimal amount of material from the rear bulk heads, (only the little hump, just made it straight) and then removed quite a bit of material from the battery tray. The hole nearest the front, all I did was open the hole making it longer and removed the lip.

Took about 15 minutes. I don't know what or how this will relate to the 3700/3800's because I don't have any, but...

And now my batteries fit with ease. Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS-batt1.jpg  
Old 04-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Battery Fit,,,pic 2

pic 2
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS-batt2.jpg  
Old 04-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Battery Fit Pics

And yes the battery tray is flush with the bottom of the chassis when screwed in.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

After you guys get done with your Power Drills, Table Saws, Chop saws, Bench Grinders, Sawzalls and Rotozips you guys Should have some Pretty nice Cars
Old 04-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Regional Moderator

Wink Heres a look for the doubters...

Heres a look at the clearance for my 3700 w/shrink wrap AFTER all my "choping".

Any doubts should be done after people view this. The battery is STILL touching the rear bulkhead even after all the work. And your telling me a simple battery tray replacement is going to solve the problem.

Take a look...
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS-rear-3700-clearace.jpg  
Old 04-23-2005, 03:57 PM
Regional Moderator

Default Another look for the doubters...

Heres a look at the upper portion of the center bulkheads. The pack is CLEARLY still making contact with that, even after all the work on it and the battery tray.

Like I said, I ONLY removed what was neccesary to get my pack in.

Take a look...
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS-center-3700-clearance.jpg  
Old 04-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Tech Addict

wow.after all the hype and delays and you guys are having to chop up your cars to get your batteries in???
Old 04-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i feel bad for all you Losi Lumberjacks

what else could have been done? move the battery tray forward perhaps?
Old 04-23-2005, 04:02 PM
Regional Moderator

The only reason I posted those is to show that I'm not trying to knock the car. I'm simply stating facts and answering a request made for pics.

In fact, I never even blamed Losi for the problem. These cells are HUGE, and every car maker will have a big task at hand to fit them in.

All I was doing providing info...take it or leave it...

Darkseid
Old 04-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Has anybody found the humor in the Fusion 3700 banner that is at the top of the thread from time to time.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have not run any 37 or 3800 batteries, so I could not tell you how they fit in the car, however every 3300 pack I own fits right in, I know that the 3600 IB cell fits right in as well. You should not have any trouble getting a 3300 pack in your car with or without shrinkwrap on the cells. However its better not to use extra shrink wrap on your cells because it makes the battery pack retain more heat and run hotter which isn't a good thing.

Aside from that have any of yall run the car yet? I am curious to know waht your first impression is.

Greg Sharpe- I run the servo wire underneath the belt, I have it secured to the chassis with a strip of servo tape.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Darkseid
FIRST, lets get one thing straight, I didn't "chop up" s***. I took my time and took off only what was needed to get my pack in. I didn't just start hacking away. I spent hours.....HOURS!!! trimming and fitting just to get the pack in.

Secondly, l never said ANYBODY should do what I did. POOKYT asked for picks, so I posted them.

If ANYBODY has doubts about my methods, pick up a pack of GP3700 w/shrink wrap and try to fit them in...just try. As I said in my previos posts...IF ANYBODY HAS A EASIER WAY, PLEASE POST IT, that includes regular people AND team people.

I don't want anybody to have to go through all that to get in their pack in. And if someone comes up with a simpler method, please share, cause I'll be the first person ordering new rear bulkheads and a battery tray to do the simpler method.

But for now, this was the only way I could find. And I ONLY posted the pics cause a fellow board member asked for help.

So unless you know a better way, please save the "chop up" comments.

The sad part is, right before I posted the pics, I told my wife that someone (who hasn't tried to fit the 3700 pack in) will have some kind of comments about how this or that wasn't neccesary, and I knew I would regret even bringing up the problem I had...cause as we all know Losi is perfect.

I should have went with my first thought and not even brought up my problem or the my solution...I'll know better next time.

Never said anything bad about the car, just offered up a solution to a problem...

Anyway....

To the people who have doubts...My info is on a take it or leave it basis...don't like it, don't use it.<brushing my shoulder off...>

For those who might need the info, good luck and I hope it works out for you like it did for me.

-Darkseid
Darkseid looked at the car long and hard today a friend had his almost done and we stood around trying batteries.( 3300s tight fit with the shrink on it) then tried to figure out the soldering part, frustrated me and it wasn't even mine. For now I will stick to the XXX-S until either this is not a problem or I get something else. After the long wait it seems that having to do as much trimming as you had to wouldn't make me happy at all
Old 04-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

POOKYT- With rubber tires using the center 1way you will gain steering entering the corner, and in general your car will have more corner speed, however you will lose traction under braking, so this could make your car hard to drive if your track requires frequent braking. A front diff of spool will be the most consistant and easiest to drive, if you are running stock or 19t I would say start with a tight front diff, it will provide more steering entering a corner than a spool. With a spool you will lose entry steering, but the car will square up faster when the power in applied, giving more steering out of a corner and on power. A spool also pulls harder out of a corner with no lag because the front wheels are locked. I am running a spool on mod qith rubber tires. Alot of it is also personal preference. I hope this helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.