Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Losi JRXS

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 01:55 AM
Tech Addict

I finished my JRXS yesterday. I can't fit 3300's in with the shrink wrap, but without the shrink wrap they fit perfectly.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally posted by SoCalLosiRacer
I finished my JRXS yesterday. I can't fit 3300's in with the shrink wrap, but without the shrink wrap they fit perfectly.
I would have to guess that your battery slot in the rear of the chassis needs a little work... Since that slot is a little tougher to get to........... An easier method is removing some material on the battery tray. I actually did this mod. I removed some material in the slot and the on the lip of the first slot (the end where it screws in.

Last edited by RBLove; 04-23-2005 at 02:25 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by POOKYT
RB--At my home track(outdoor parking lot) my best set-up on the G+ and many of the X-Ray drivers has been with the Spool. We typically have several less than flowing turns but the spool has given me the best lap times. Usually brakes are not an issue, but, what I am wondering is should I use the center One-Way or the center Spool with the front Spool? Thanks for your help while we all do the mad dash on intial builds.

Brant
POOKT,

I do not run rubber tires nor have I ever run rubber tires I race on carpet/foam tires with dual diffs and locked center shaft...

I can give you my take though. When running a front spool you tend to lose a LOT of off power steering (turn in), but get a tremendous amount of on power steering. You also have good breaking.

One ways provide more steering over all. Not so good breaking.

I would think with a front spool and layshaft oneway you would get the best of both worlds. Something you will have to try. May be hard to drive on power.....

Your car should roll better with a one-way also. Basically carry more speed, but in low speed turns that is not needed/wanted..

Sorry I cannot give better advice. Only theories. Good news is...... Changing the layshaft from one-way to locked is quick and easy...
Old 04-23-2005, 03:17 AM
TCR
Tech Addict

Default Thank you

RB- losi is not paying you enough, It's awsome your here helping people.

Thank you
Old 04-23-2005, 03:46 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Thank you

Originally posted by TCR
RB- losi is not paying you enough, It's awsome your here helping people.

Thank you
Paying me... That is a funny one................ I was just lucky enough to get on the Team recently. I've had the car a couple of months and figure I can answer some questions...... I think everyone will be more than pleased once they hit the track...

Todd is in Germany. Andrew G. is not on here much. I work nights and am slow tonight

No problem on the help.......
Old 04-23-2005, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks RB. I'm going with the Spool front and one-way center for first runs Wed. Will let you guys know whats up.

Brant
Old 04-23-2005, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Did i miss something?
Mike Dumas racing for losi?
http://www.lrp-hpi-challenge.de/eppe...0423_0930.html
Old 04-23-2005, 06:49 AM
Tech Adept

I think that is wrong about Dumas. He left Losi and moved to Texas to work for RCAmerica/xray.
On the car, I had a few fitting issues with the center layshaft being tight thru the bearing and just sanded off the outside finish of the shaft to get it to go thru. After built and with a few more batteries run in it the car just gets freer and freer. Very nice. There are just way too many adjustments, upstop this, downstop that, highdiff, low diff, center spool, oh my. But the setup on it works quite well. More practicing today.
Old 04-23-2005, 06:53 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

POOKYT: here are the pics that you asked for.

This first one is of the highly dremeled rear bulkhead. I've done some stress testing on it, and there appears to be no weaking of the bulkhead. Its very well supported above and below, so there is no fear of structural weakness.

Basically, just keep grinding till you can actually get the 3700 up into the battery slot....(It wont go up all the way, but the next pic deals with that)
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS-rear-bulkhead.jpg  
Old 04-23-2005, 06:57 AM
Regional Moderator

POOKYT: heres a pic (although blurry) of the center bulkhead.

Like I said, its blurry, but it does the job of showing where I took off material. Basically it was from the middle of the curve on up. Take off material until the battery will finish going up and in.

By now, between the mods to the front and center, the pack should be in. Your next question is, "what the f*** is keeping the battery tray from closing. It feels like its hitting something." (well thats the next pic)
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS-center-bulkhead.jpg  
Old 04-23-2005, 07:07 AM
Regional Moderator

POOKYT: Lastly, here the final mod I had to make.

I had to completely remove the front lip of the battery tray. (didn't need it anyway... ) Just zip it right off with your rotary tool. I know, its scary, but it must be done. The tray will simply not close with it on there, no matter how thin you try to trim it.(I know...I had it about paper thin and it still wouldn't fit...before I said 'screw it' and just cut it off)

THEN, you must look under car with the 3700 pack almost in. It should almost fit with the tray closed. But if you look under your car, you'll see that the 3700 pack doesn't align well with the current battery slots.

So what do we do??? Dremel the bastards... Basically you need to put a shallower angle on the ribs, flating them out a little more than they were.

LASTLY....cut a couple of "V" shaped groves in your battery foam right where two of the cells in the middle make contact with it. This alleviates some of the pressure the foam pushes down on the cells with. And that keeps the tray from bulging.

And thats it, your tray should close properly, your battery will fit snug, and your other packs will still fit perfectly.

So, good luck to anyone who has to do this, and just remember, "you can always take off more, but its a little harder to put it back on" So take your time!

And again, if someone has a better way, please share...
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS-battery-tray.jpg  
Old 04-23-2005, 07:10 AM
Regional Moderator

Last but not least, here my finished car with 3300 packs installed. (3700 packs still stiffening from Shoo goo treatment)

Electronics used...

-KO 2173- Yes this is a servo that will need a little filling on one of the edges to get full steering throw. Not much though... And I did file the lower mounting ear near the front belt, it touched just a little when the belt was on the inner half of the pulley. Again, not much filling...

-Novak Xxtra

-Mtronicks Cirrus

-Mix of SMC 3300 packs and new ProMatch 3700 packs-
Attached Thumbnails Team Losi JRXS-jrx-s.jpg  

Last edited by Darkseid; 04-23-2005 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

"I would think with a front spool and layshaft oneway you would get the best of both worlds. Something you will have to try. May be hard to drive on power.....".

By doing this you get the worst of both worlds, no brakes and a crap turn in, I would run the Spool and the locked layshaft.
If you want to go to a one way, you should try one way in the front, and a oneway layshaft. BTW this is based on 415. I am sure it is the same though. Jonathan.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Darkseid
After looking at your pics, I must admit that you have a lot of courage to do this to a brand new kit It broke my heart to look at the pics but it had to be done.

RBLove
Will there be corrections made to the kit to address this little "glitch" (if you permit me to call it like that). I don't mind to have to do a little tweaking here and there but this seems a little extreme

P.S.: I'd hate to have to make a website for a Losi kit like the one I made for the TC3

Last edited by mistercrash; 04-23-2005 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Darkseid...aren't you glad they took so long to 'get it right'?

You're obviously sill in bliss with the new kit..and i don't blame you...niec looking machine...but hackin up a new kit like thwt with a dremel has gotta be scary and a lil frustrating

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.