Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Losi JRXS

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 06:57 AM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Torque Steer

With the torque steer you guys are talkin about, it is due to the weak plastic outdrives on the diffs right? but if you look at the diffs on the JRXS, it seems rather different, the outside case is not actually the outdrives i think, but the casing. May be Losi has found a solution to the problem
Old 09-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

seaball - If the arm is half the length of a longer arm, it will take half the distance for the short arm to reach the same angle of the longer arm at twice the uptravel distance. Thus the car stays flatter with the same amount of camber change so in essence the car should generate around the same amount of mechanical traction but reaction times will be increased.

Yes you can counter this by a long camber link bit that is not the case on this car, links are short as well.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Tech Regular

Default Shocks

Hi,

Oil filled Coil Overs!!!!
You must have an IQ off 240 or higher

Thomas
Old 09-28-2004, 07:11 AM
Tech Adept

David Joor- i can understand your explanation about the benefit of the shorter suspension arms, but i have something to ask, and it's about the shorter drive shafts. With the smaller shafts, a larger angle change will take place over the same distrance travelled, but wouldn't this make the drive shafts less efficient as it rotating at a larger angle? jus a thought
Old 09-28-2004, 07:15 AM
Tech Addict

The angle change is not increased, it just takes less distance to achieve the same amount of change, so the car can ride flatter increasing response times.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

BUt how is the angle of roll dictated by the amount of angle change? shouldn't it be the suspenion travel that affects it?
Old 09-28-2004, 07:23 AM
Tech Adept

Surely if the arm is at say angle X the driveshaft will be at angle X also whether the arm is long or short so it should have the same efficiency.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:25 AM
Tech Adept

The change is arm size will increase the speed of reaction but also increase the overall tension in the suspension which would need to be compensated with shock setup.

using moments the longer arm can get to angle x with more leverage and less energy than an shorted arm. However if the shorter arm had softer suspension the time to reach the angle would be quicker than the long arm and the suspension tension the same.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:28 AM
Tech Addict

Here is what I am saying

Old 09-28-2004, 07:31 AM
Tech Addict

Andy - I forgot about those implications, but I have been told that the car is already performing in the right hands so they must have gotten something figured out Going to be an interesting Worlds and even a more interesting carpet session in the States.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Re: Short Arms

Originally posted by David Joor
rayhuang - Short arms are due to centerline weight of the battery, the car will not roll as much so the short arm is used to create the needed camber change for sidebite.
Thats what I was thinking-some big changes in suspension geometry would have to be done to accomodate the centerline weight.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 09-28-2004, 07:34 AM
Tech Adept

Definitely should be exciting!

Short arms should work very very well on flat high grip carpet. It will naturally keep the suspension tight but make it very responsive.

Maybe AE should release a short arm mod for the TC4 for high grip on-road use. Better still I might design my own if I get a spare minute with a CAD program lol
Old 09-28-2004, 07:35 AM
Tech Adept

Also incidentally having arms this short isn't anything radically new. The Robitronic ETCv1 has arms about the same size.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:35 AM
Tech Addict

Default Re: Re: Short Arms

Originally posted by rayhuang
Thats what I was thinking-some big changes in suspension geometry would have to be done to accomodate the centerline weight.

Thanks,
Ray
The shorter arms will provide more drastic drop in RC that is needed for a car that does not roll much. My main concern on that point is that it might not going to handle the bumps very well with such short arms. While that's not a major problem in the US, it is in europe, but who cares
Old 09-28-2004, 07:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So-will the short lower arms be at a flat or at an angle down at the ends when running 2.20" or smaller foam tires? And if so-will you need to change to a low roll center block to compensate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.