Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

What is Novak's position on warranties for Novak products purchased over the Internet? A GTB + 13.5 combo pack is significantly cheaper after shipping from a US store, than purchasing at any hobby shop in Australia, but I'd like to know the warranty situation, so I can decide whether local warranty is worth $150AU.

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)

Steve, any plans on adjustable timing on the Novak BL motors? The relationship between which two parts in a BL motor is being changed by adjusting the timing, the hall effect sensor to the rotor, or?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:36 AM
The Evicerator

Dan,

I recommend you contact Jackie in customer service in regards to your question. I know they have been getting more requests like this and it's hard for me to keep up with what they are doing with them.

Her email is [email protected]

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by Dan the Man
What is Novak's position on warranties for Novak products purchased over the Internet? A GTB + 13.5 combo pack is significantly cheaper after shipping from a US store, than purchasing at any hobby shop in Australia, but I'd like to know the warranty situation, so I can decide whether local warranty is worth $150AU.

Thanks!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:37 AM
The Evicerator

The timing is already adjustable in our motors, it's just not veary obvious.

The three flat head screws in the back must be loosened up a bit then the outside ring that has slots in it must be rotated.

If you're looking at the endcap side of the motor clockwise is less timing, counter-clockwise is more timing.

This changes the sensors in relation to the coils in the motor.

Originally Posted by loopedout
Steve, any plans on adjustable timing on the Novak BL motors? The relationship between which two parts in a BL motor is being changed by adjusting the timing, the hall effect sensor to the rotor, or?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

fantastic, what are the results of positive advancement and negative advancement, ie. more torque, more rpm etc?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:54 AM
The Evicerator

It's basically the same as what you would experience with a brushed motor:

More timing results in more RPM/less torque and generally more current draw.

Less timing results in less RPM/more torque and generally less current draw.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

lots of questions, sorry
so ideally for max rpm you would want to advance the timing until maximum efficiency is reached and stop there or does the current battery technology allow for even more advancement leading to higher rpm's without regard to the efficiency? Secondly are the Novak motors set at 0(zero) from the factory or are they set at a predetermined ideal timing setting?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:13 PM
The Evicerator

We set them at a point that we feel is optimized for most applications at the factory.

More RPM isn't always better...it's about finding the right power band for your application.

Originally Posted by loopedout
lots of questions, sorry
so ideally for max rpm you would want to advance the timing until maximum efficiency is reached and stop there or does the current battery technology allow for even more advancement leading to higher rpm's without regard to the efficiency? Secondly are the Novak motors set at 0(zero) from the factory or are they set at a predetermined ideal timing setting?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I recently got a Futaba 3PKS transmitter with the FASST module and receivers.

Over the weekend I installed one of the receivers in a car that was running a Novak Cyclone speed control (the original version). When I went to do the one-touch programming, the speed control responded to the button, but the LEDs were screwy and the programming didn't work. The speed control still functions, in that I can tune the radio to match the speed control and the speed control appears to work normally once I've done this tuning.

I'm wondering if the high frame rate of the FASST system has anything to do with the problem I experienced. I know that HRS does not work with analog servos so I wonder if older (digital) speed controls have similar problems. If I put my old GT7 in there, will it have similar problems?
Old 11-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Assuming your receivers are somewhat similar to the Spektrum's... ?? Did you "bind" the receiver to the transmitter BEFORE you tried to setup the ESC?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

what up steve,
Hey just wondering if you were going up to race at the stockton race Dec.7-9?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Tech Adept

congrats on Novaks win at the champs with Chris Tosso. I believe he ran a 4.5 "light" motor and controller in his Modified 1/12th win. I saw many Novak powered cars going very fast. The new "Light" motor is a great addition to Modified 1/12th.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tfrahm
Assuming your receivers are somewhat similar to the Spektrum's... ?? Did you "bind" the receiver to the transmitter BEFORE you tried to setup the ESC?
Yes, the receiver was bound; otherwise there's no way I could have dialed in the transmitter to control the Cyclone rather than the other way around.

I replaced the Cyclone with another slightly-less-old speed control (a Futaba MC800C, same insides as LRP QC) and had no problems setting up that speed control (they should call it "multi-touch setup") with the receiver in HRS mode. It wasn't until then that I thought of turning off HRS. If the Cyclone was still in there I would just try it.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:57 AM
The Evicerator

Mark,

I don't know but I will check for you to see if one of the engineers has any ideas...

Are you sure that the ESC will setup even with a slower radio system... maybe try turning the HRS off... if the ESC is bad it might not take a setup from any any radio!

I will get an answer back to you on this as soon as everyone gets back in the office!

Originally Posted by MarkBrown
Yes, the receiver was bound; otherwise there's no way I could have dialed in the transmitter to control the Cyclone rather than the other way around.

I replaced the Cyclone with another slightly-less-old speed control (a Futaba MC800C, same insides as LRP QC) and had no problems setting up that speed control (they should call it "multi-touch setup") with the receiver in HRS mode. It wasn't until then that I thought of turning off HRS. If the Cyclone was still in there I would just try it.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:58 AM
The Evicerator

I would like to but I don't think so... company function over the weekend... we'll see though!

Originally Posted by King of B Main
what up steve,
Hey just wondering if you were going up to race at the stockton race Dec.7-9?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.