Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Tech Addict

steve - i've got a GTB and a 13.5 pro in my sedan. at the start of my main tonight, i yanked the throttle at the tone and my car just sat there. after getting drilled by 2nd place i was able to get the wheels going and it worked fine after that.

is that cogging? and what causes the motor to do that? will it happen again?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:22 AM
The Evicerator

Hey Russ,

That definately sounds odd!

Double check to make sure that all of your connections are ok -- sensor harness fully plugged into the ESC, wires are all in the harness, and that the motor wires aren't shorted or anything like that.

Have you been monitoring the temperature of the system at all? If your motor has been getting very hot over a long period of time there is a chance that the magnet could have become a bit demagnetized and could be causing some start-up problems like what you are experiencing.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Tech Addict

all the connections look intact. the motor only has 3 race days on it and has never been thermalled. it worked flawlessly before and after, it was just wierd.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I have a 13.5 w/ a sphere and it did that a time or 2 then ran extremely slow, then the next time I tried it, (a few weeks later) it shuddered slightly, and now, nothing. Need to send it in, just cant find the reciept yet. What is the warranty period w/ these anyway? Ive got 6 other novak bl motors, inclding another 13.5, and none have done that, infact, I was shocked that this one did that after all the others have always performed well, even the older ones
Old 08-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The last few posts are what we are seeing at our club. We have a few guys running the EX13.5 to determine if as a club we should spec it and run it alongside brushed stocks.

I guess some guys misunderstood and geared the motors at around 160-175F. This is approx. the temp range suggested on the GTB manual. After some rotor failures (1 being a spectacular failure), some of the guys contacted Mr. Weiss and started to gear down to 140-150F. This seems to be the limit for the bonded rotors.

We have been told by a fwe people to simply run a sintered rotor, however, a bonded rotor appears to us a tick faster than a properly tuned stock for us. A sintered rotor would most likely be even faster. This would create a revolt in our membership and we would have to only allow BL to be run during practice nights.

Some say to start another class (BL only), this is not an option for us as one more class would simply dilute the racing for our club.

Anyway - didn't mean to bore, but the last 2 problems are exactly the same as we saw after overheating of the motors. We came to the conclusion that a temp gun is a required motor grearing tool for BL.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

i gear mine pretty conservatively, around 130~140. in fact, i ran my stock main last night and was "allowed" to run in the 19t main that immediately followed, kind of an experiment to see just how much run time you can get with a properly geared BL motor. i made it about 4 minutes into that main also before the car started to go soft and I decided to pull it.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RussB
all the connections look intact. the motor only has 3 race days on it and has never been thermalled. it worked flawlessly before and after, it was just wierd.

DUde ...you were'nt realy supposed to open it up and use com drops on it ...we we're just seeing if you would fall for it
Old 08-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by HarshGuy
DUde ...you were'nt realy supposed to open it up and use com drops on it ...we we're just seeing if you would fall for it
LMFAO! i KEEEELLLLL you!
Old 08-05-2007, 06:57 AM
The Evicerator

warranty period is 120 days... send it in and we'll see what we can do for you!

Originally Posted by convikt
I have a 13.5 w/ a sphere and it did that a time or 2 then ran extremely slow, then the next time I tried it, (a few weeks later) it shuddered slightly, and now, nothing. Need to send it in, just cant find the reciept yet. What is the warranty period w/ these anyway? Ive got 6 other novak bl motors, inclding another 13.5, and none have done that, infact, I was shocked that this one did that after all the others have always performed well, even the older ones
Old 08-06-2007, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

Steve you look way dfferent in the picture than you do in person and how did you get back from France so fast.

http://www.redrc.net/2007/08/steven-...ips/#more-4793
Old 08-06-2007, 09:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I wondered how long he could keep the double identity thing going. Busted .

I saw Both Steven and Steve at RROC.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Which one is the true skuba? You would have to try to kill his xbox 360, and the one that would stop you I think would be the true one. I think there was an episode of scooby doo like this.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Congrats on your TQ and strong showing at the Euro Champs!!......... Wanted to know if that was a protoform Mazda speed 6 or was it something else?? Was that the body of choice? It seems a little different in the photo ( X-Ray's site) I thought maybe others were using bodies that had the mazda shape but another make.

Once again, great run!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:17 AM
The Evicerator

hahah

Here we go!

Thanks but... that's Steven Weiss from Germany... I'm Steve Weiss from California

Next time I see him at a race I'll be sure to pass along your praise!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I almost posted that same joke this morning. But I figured it was getting old

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.