Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc) >

Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Reducing lateral weight transfer, takes away lateral grip. I think you read wrong Codyin what Brian corroborated in his statements.

Just think about it this way. If you have more weight move to the outside tire, there will be more pressure on that tire, therefore creating more grip.
But there's a point where so much weight-generated grip on the outside tire causes the inner tire to lose efficiency, so OVERALL you lose grip. Correct?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

To get to that point, your car probably has to be close to being out of control, because we are talking about the extreme points of the curve.

Just do a simple experiment. Make your car wider in the front, even if it is just with wheel spacers. Then make your car narrower. Note the difference in handling.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Master

To get to that point, your car probably has to be close to being out of control, because we are talking about the extreme points of the curve.

Just do a simple experiment. Make your car wider in the front, even if it is just with wheel spacers. Then make your car narrower. Note the difference in handling.
My car is always EXTREME. Case closed.

In all seriousness, I learned a few things, so the evening was productive!
Old 12-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Hehehe. Too funny. It's always good to have discussions like these on the thread. Always makes for a good read for everyone and I know it helps me brush up on set-up theory.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cwoods34
But there's a point where so much weight-generated grip on the outside tire causes the inner tire to lose efficiency, so OVERALL you lose grip. Correct?
Yes, you can exceed the tire's capability, but almost never from weight transfer alone. Usually what causes decreased grip from too much weight transfer is too much instantaneous slip angle. The way to prevent that is controlling the weight transfer rate, not necessarily the amount of weight transfer. I love to talk to people who say they want to take grip out of the car in high bite. That is crazy - you want as much grip as you can at all times. What people typically mean and don't realize is that they want to tune the car such that weight transfer is controlled properly and the resulting tire forces maximize the friction circle (right picture). In high bite this usually means slowing it down and ensuring the best contact patch is there such that you don't get traction spikes that can either scrub speed or cause traction rolling.

Almost all tires behave similar to the first picture here, though the rate of drop off past peak grip can be more or less severe.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Good stuff Brian!

Thanks for dropping your knowledge.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Default New Product!

RSDX005 RSD 12mm Hex Hub Spacers 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 2.0 mm thicknesses
Old 12-29-2011, 04:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Wow, you guys went nuts in here!

Good stuff!

I want to try it now, but with the arms moved in 1.5mm per side. This way I can just use the A shock hole I believe to maintain same spring rate I think.

What about the increased camber gain?

I understand more weight transfer on narrower car. Makes sense if you think of your a arm as a lever. If the tire is further out on the lever it would take less weight (or really force) to move it the same distance compared to if it was further towards the hinge point on the lever.

So in high grip situations, wider is better (like the old pontiac commercial).

Need grip? Narrow it up a bit at all four.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:26 AM
Tech Addict

Oh and forgot to mention, wheel spacers look nice.

I need those, ball studs and another set of springs.....
Old 01-01-2012, 06:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

https://reflexracing.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/TC6_FallClassic_Tabush.jpg"]https://reflexracing.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/TC6_FallClassic_Tabush.jpg
trying to understand your upper link setup....... someone mind clarifying??

thanks, Barry
Old 01-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

oh... to clarify. I have looked over the posted jpeg on page 38. Just can't understand how and where the upper links are mounted. I know some RSD ball ends are used. Just not sure if some custom shock mounting locations are used. The setup sheet is not clear there...... I see a little + mark and cant read the whole thing. Maybe someone can help? I know this is probably the RSD Vertical Shock tower mounts..... just not understanding......

Thanks,

Barry
Old 01-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Tech Addict

Default RSD Mounting location

Barry, It is the inner ball mounting position on the RSD shock tower.

It allows you to fine tune roll center adjustment almost infintiely fine with the use of shims.

See attached pic, the inside hole is the added material shown with an arrow. This is a great upgrade for the car along with the springs and pistons.
Attached Thumbnails Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)-capture.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Used the new short ballstuds front and rear on my car (long front link, short rear link) and took TQ and the 17.5 A-main win at our annual New Year's race yesterday. Thanks Reflex!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Great info in here!
Old 01-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Finally got to run my car after installing all my reflex goodies. I swapped out the shock disks and bladders, along with tuning with the reflex springs. I also installed the fan mount with a 25mm fan to keep everything cool.

Car was planted and fast. Kudos to Cristian and Reflex for the great TC6 products.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.