Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc) >

Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

A bug in the ear is worth 2 in the bush... errr wait.... how does that go?!?!

A lot of guys swear by the servo mod on XRAYs because it provides a much better steering feel apparently (improved geometry). I've never driven a car like that myself, but I have thought about trying it. It also makes more room for electronics, although depending what you use it usually isn't an issue. The only downside is that ackerman is a bit more troublesome to adjust, BUT you find one setting you like just leave it........

It would be a great tuning aid if guys could have a steering setup where they could remove the upper deck screw to generate flex.

The 417 is dual arm, correct? Wonder how well that setup would fit.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by cwoods34
A bug in the ear is worth 2 in the bush... errr wait.... how does that go?!?!

A lot of guys swear by the servo mod on XRAYs because it provides a much better steering feel apparently (improved geometry). I've never driven a car like that myself, but I have thought about trying it. It also makes more room for electronics, although depending what you use it usually isn't an issue. The only downside is that ackerman is a bit more troublesome to adjust, BUT you find one setting you like just leave it........

It would be a great tuning aid if guys could have a steering setup where they could remove the upper deck screw to generate flex.

The 417 is dual arm, correct? Wonder how well that setup would fit.
Tha S411 is also, I have seen somewhere someone who fitted a Tam steering in his TC6, just can't remember where...

it would be very easy to fit a TC3 type slider too.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Tech Master

First time on the carpet last night for the upcoming season. I literally ran the setup I used for mod asphalt, except I went to 15.5/14.5 springs. The carpet was really "fresh" so I ran RP30 tires and the car was dialed. Won the main by over a lap and had numerous 10.4 fast laps (2nd place had 10.9s). Thanks Reflex!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default NEWS and other Miscellaneous.

Sorry I have been a bit MIA, it's been hectic at the shop...

I like the discussion about the steering system. It is something we have given though, but it would be hard to release anything without having to release a new chassis. Maybe sometime down the road, we will take a look at it. We have been sketching some ideas on how to make a detached post design for the steering system in the front. We'll see what we come up with, and if it is worth doing it.

Well, on another note, the bladders are on the way!!! These are softer bladders that take the "squeakiness" out of the AE Shocks. Once we installed the bladders in the shocks we noticed several things:

1.Improved traction: the bladder allows for the car to be more stuck with the same oil. In some cases, some of our drivers went up to a little bit heavier oil to get the same feel for the stock bladders. But still, lap times were more consistent as the shock build was much smoother.
2.ZERO REBOUND can be achieved. And when I say zero, I mean the shaft, once pushed in, will not rebound one micrometer. It is true zero rebound.
3.To get rebound in the shock, you can install an o-ring at the top of the bladder, this makes the shocks act more similarly to the stock bladders, but without the "squeakiness" sometimes the stock bladders can develop.
4.When these bladders are installed, these shocks are truly on par with Tamiya shocks. There is not one thing about the Tamiya shocks that has an advantage in consistency or smoothness any more.

Cwoods, that is awesome! Congratulations on your results. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Can't wait for the bladders! I was told by a few guys that Tamiya shocks really make the TC6 come alive; if the bladders have the same affect they will make a HUGE difference. Being able to set true 0 rebound without the "foaminess" of the stock bladders will be nice.

Personally I have no problem drilling new holes in my chassis for a new steering system, but I can see the problem in trusting everyone to do it. Even if there was a way to use the stock system but not need the top screw...... I'm not sure how that would work though, since you need the top of the post attached to SOMETHING......
Old 08-27-2011, 11:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Cant wait
Old 08-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
We have been sketching some ideas on how to make a detached post design for the steering system in the front. We'll see what we come up with, and if it is worth doing it.
I think PETIT, did a similar mount for the T3 platform, might be something to look at for the TC6. Have to say, you're making some nice pieces.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

And if it was screwed on the top plate rather than the bottom chassis?

It might upset the flex but would that be too much?
Old 08-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

The best setup would be a dual arm/turned servo that also didn't need to be attached to the top deck so that you can tune with the additional flex. The problem is drilling more holes in the chassis, or finding a way to utilize the stock holes. I don't have the car in front of me but I could see some setups that might hit the front battery mount.

I would be happy with a setup that still screwed into the top deck. At the least you would benefit from the improved geometry......
Old 08-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Another win for a RSD TC6! Love those shock pistons, springs, and shock tower mounts! Cant wait for the bladders, will be the knife in the coffen for the Xrays.

Pete
Old 08-31-2011, 05:16 AM
Tech Master

I have a set of 3racing shocks I mounted to my TC3. The pistons that came with them are way too small, so I tried fitting Associated pistons. They fit perfect in the shock body, butaware a bit tall, so I ground them down a hair to fit the c-clip. It worked and now they are really good!

I think I will buy Associated shafts and more Reflex pistons to try out. The 3Racing shocks are a bargain and seem to work well now. I also wonder if the new bladders would fit..........
Old 08-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cwoods34
I have a set of 3racing shocks I mounted to my TC3. The pistons that came with them are way too small, so I tried fitting Associated pistons. They fit perfect in the shock body, butaware a bit tall, so I ground them down a hair to fit the c-clip. It worked and now they are really good!

I think I will buy Associated shafts and more Reflex pistons to try out. The 3Racing shocks are a bargain and seem to work well now. I also wonder if the new bladders would fit..........
Yes, the 3Racing pistons tend to be undersized, so they require thicker oil in the shocks.

The bladders should fit any 10mm shock. This includes 3Racing, Tamiya, AE and I believe Hot Bodies.

Bladders should be here tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Bladders should be here tomorrow.
Are these just prototypes ?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Elite

No, the production bladders will be here tomorrow.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Tech Master

Just finished with this..... XRAY set up, except I spun the servo 90*.

EDIT: I have no idea why, but RCTech is uploading my photos upside-down. It is saved on the computer correctly....... oh well!
Attached Thumbnails Reflex Suspension Dynamics (RSD) TC6 Upgrades (vertical ball studs, pistons,etc)-photo.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.