Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 02:54 PM
Tech Adept

Hi all is anyone runing 17.5 stock with this car. what is your gearing.
Old 05-13-2017, 07:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Did anyone say gear diff

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to tell you about my gear diff mod. I got to give it a go last night and the car felt awesome. Unfortunately I only had one so my 2nd TC4 still had to run with the ball diff. Both cars had the same setup with the diff being the only difference. I was running 21.5 and 13.5 with the gear diff in the 21.5.

The handling on the 21.5 was just heaps above the 13.5.

It consist of the B44.3 diff and my custom designed diff housing. I modded the Shaft to take the B44 gear. Ive now also designed a custom shaft. Just waiting for it to come back from the 3D printers to test it.

I ran it with 1000CST Oil

Here is the pic of the diff installed
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC4-gear-diff.jpg  
NutDriver likes this.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
We run on a permanent unsealed asphalt track at our local club, and honestly, the Gravity RC USGT pre-mount tires work great. Pretty decent grip, and long life. I'm able to get about 5 race days-worth of runtime out of a set, and they still have life left. At $25.00 per full set, it's a good deal.
Thanks for the ideas. I have been running some no name tires from china. They are cheap at $8 a set but they do not last. I mean the foams are showing after a day and a half. $25 looks like a bargain especially if they have some tread on day 5
Old 05-14-2017, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

PJ,
Who makes the aluminum toe blocks you show in the pic?
Old 05-14-2017, 02:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by NutDriver
PJ,
Who makes the aluminum toe blocks you show in the pic?
Got them here but they have been discontinued

3RACING

You may get some from ebay but the price is high
Old 05-14-2017, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Cool. Thx.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Tech Regular

I wanna put a street truck body on my TC4. Has anyone tried this or knows of a truck body that will fit?
Old 05-21-2017, 09:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default VTA gearing help

Hey folks,

Was hoping someone can help me out.

I'm running VTA and I'm a good number of seconds off the pace. It's an asphalt high grip track. I'm generally very clean and even when I go the whole race without a spin or mishap, I still fall a few laps behind.

It's most evident coming onto the sweeper and a very very long straight. In general it's a high speed course and while I maintain pace (Sorta) in the infield, it's like I'm standing still on the straight. I'm not expecting to keep up with the xrays and such, but I also shouldn't be this slow.

Specs:
25.5 reedy motor (out of the box timing. 20ish I think)
84/54 for a 3.89 FDR (according to the app I'm using)
Weight is 1450g exact for vta spec
Hobbywing justock esc

Motor was running kind of hot in this config - although it was 100 out today

Ideas?

Thx
Old 05-22-2017, 05:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SGrubb
Hi all is anyone runing 17.5 stock with this car. what is your gearing.
I am running a Trinity D3.5 17.5 with timing set to the max (anything else was giving too much torque for my track) on a 40x70 med/low grip carpet track. My FDR is 4.41. I finish a race with my motor temps around 110 degrees, but I am running a fan on the motor.

With this setup, the car is pretty quick off the corners, but the torque doesn't overwhelm traction as long as you exercise a little throttle finger discipline! And I can keep pace on the straights with everyone else, so I am pretty happy with the setup.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mstrfahrenheit
Hey folks,

I'm running VTA and I'm a good number of seconds off the pace. It's an asphalt high grip track. I'm generally very clean and even when I go the whole race without a spin or mishap, I still fall a few laps behind.

It's most evident coming onto the sweeper and a very very long straight. In general it's a high speed course and while I maintain pace (Sorta) in the infield, it's like I'm standing still on the straight. I'm not expecting to keep up with the xrays and such, but I also shouldn't be this slow.

Specs:
Hobbywing justock esc

Ideas?

Thx
Definitely add timing. And a fan if it's that hot out.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mstrfahrenheit
Hey folks,

Specs:
Hobbywing justock esc

Ideas?

Thx
Are you running a fan? I would say that would be a requirement in your environment. You didn't say how hot was 'kind of hot', but anything under 150f should be OK.

Have you tried to advance your timing? I would go up a tooth or two on your pinion and start increasing your timing. Find a happy spot where your top speed and temperature is acceptable without damaging your infield response to throttle.

Short 1 minute runs are first to make sure you aren't cooking anything, then as you narrow down on a timing/gearing combo you like, increase your run times a little at a time and keep checking temps.

And finally, while no one likes to get beat down the straights, you rarely lose there. You win/lose in the corners. If you are consistently fast in the corners and the car is predictable and easy to drive, for most of us mere mortals, that will help your lap times more than outright top speed.

Good luck!
mstrfahrenheit likes this.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 0010
Are you running a fan? I would say that would be a requirement in your environment. You didn't say how hot was 'kind of hot', but anything under 150f should be OK.

Have you tried to advance your timing? I would go up a tooth or two on your pinion and start increasing your timing. Find a happy spot where your top speed and temperature is acceptable without damaging your infield response to throttle.

Short 1 minute runs are first to make sure you aren't cooking anything, then as you narrow down on a timing/gearing combo you like, increase your run times a little at a time and keep checking temps.

And finally, while no one likes to get beat down the straights, you rarely lose there. You win/lose in the corners. If you are consistently fast in the corners and the car is predictable and easy to drive, for most of us mere mortals, that will help your lap times more than outright top speed.

Good luck!
I was running a fan, but it wasn't in a great spot. I just ordered a new mount based on something I saw in an earlier post.

I don't think it got over 150, but was hot to the touch. I didn't have my temp gauge with me unfortunately.

I've been timid on changing the timing. I blew a motor once already on a different car trying to do it and didn't really understand the process. You've laid out a good explanation though that i can use.

re: the straights vs the infield. That's the thing. I was pegged 100% through most of the infield as well, except for the 2 hairpins. I have a ton more room for speed through the turns, the car just doesn't have it in it right now at this gearing/timing/whatever. But - when I got behind the fast guys, I didn't lose a ton of ground. Some, but if you only saw that part of the race you would have thought I finished closer to the top

I'll try the pinion and timing thing next. Appreciate the reply!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Definitely needs more timing. My Reedy came with 20 degrees from the manufacturer. No oomph at all. The motor really won't wake up until around 40 degrees of timing.

Your final drive ratio is close for the 25.5. Depending on where you end up with the timing, you might be able to go lower.

Good luck!

Mark
Old 05-22-2017, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Timing and gearing are a must. We run 21.5 in our outdoor scale spec class (VTA/USGT combined) and I'm currently down to a 3.72 with room to spare.
With a 25.5 you should be able to go lower with the help of a (this is key) a good quality fan. I use a Maclan 30mm turbo fan and it works amazing.

Timing should definitely get a bump, and you'll notice a big defference just with that alone.

One last note: Clean driving also factors into gearing. If your lines are smooth and fast, you'll put less heat into the motor, thus being able to gear a bit higher than say, a driver with a more erratic or choppy racing line. Keep that in mind.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
Timing and gearing are a must. We run 21.5 in our outdoor scale spec class (VTA/USGT combined) and I'm currently down to a 3.72 with room to spare.
With a 25.5 you should be able to go lower with the help of a (this is key) a good quality fan. I use a Maclan 30mm turbo fan and it works amazing.

Timing should definitely get a bump, and you'll notice a big defference just with that alone.

One last note: Clean driving also factors into gearing. If your lines are smooth and fast, you'll put less heat into the motor, thus being able to gear a bit higher than say, a driver with a more erratic or choppy racing line. Keep that in mind.
As it started to get hot I picked up a WTF from from the shop. There isn't a lot of space and I wound up mounting it with tape on the heat sink on the side of the motor/chassis. Not a great position, but was all I could do while at the track.

I just ordered this one:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/yeah-ra...33vabu/p491076

based on an earlier posting so this should give much better results that will allow me to go lower.

It's a really good point re: the line and I hadn't thought about that but it makes sense. There was also ton of grip, so much so I actually didn't sauce at all for the main. I also just checked my drag and I had that way higher than I should have for this motor - was used to the lower winds and higher entry speeds.

All these factors were likely was making the motor work harder than I needed it to around those turns.

Probably should dial out some steering to be a bit smoother.

Speed comes from all areas I guess is the punch line here -- gearing is just a part of it.

good tips guys!
cementsurfer86 likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.