Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Here is a roll bar theory that I like to use, take it as you may. Roll bars are used to settle different ends of the cars down, and also add to the overall spring pressure applied to that end of the car, or in simple terms the bar is just another spring on the car...........so going with this the actual measurement of the roll bar, I like to think of as a percentage of spring pressure used to fine tune one end or the other of a car. So a 1.2 bar is actually adding 2/10ths more spring pressure at the extreme end of the spring compression. This continues thru all the measured bars such as 1.5 is 5/10ths more etc, etc. To the point that you really should look at a spring change and go back to the lite bar and start over in the fine tuning of the car. Its sort of like splitting the known spring measurement and getting that "just a little more" that you can't get to in the normal spring ratings.

Of course there are other factors to take into the actual tuning and setup, but I use this when I'm trying to get the roll better controlled on the car with out giving up traction.

Again its just a theory, but something to keep in the back of your mind when your playing with the bars.

I'll be trying the different top plates and v1/v2 mount at the IIC, I think the traction should be right up there to really get a feel for the changes.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Found a good servo saver solution in case anyone is interested. Tamiya Hi-Torque Servo Saver #51000 + 3Racing 18mm servo horn:
http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=4113

As near as I can tell, it's the same length as the stock Serpent horn.

I also posted a while back about unequal left and right rear toe. I went through a bunch of uprights (hard and medium), and found that about half of them are ~1 degree off from the other half. I wonder if they have left and right molds that differ slightly, even though they are not marked L/R.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RasCalDK
Good that you like my setup
I you think there is too much steering, then try using the outer hole on the rear upright. It makes the more stable, and the car gets easier to drive.

Yes, with the V2 mount, I use the V1 sidemount to attach it to the chassis. And I only use one screw at the back, not both!

When i Switched to the standard V2 mount, I felt that the flex was wrong. When you drove into a corner, you had to be careful, otherwise the rear would step out of line. When using the V1 side mount, you almost get the same feel as the V1 mount (a more stable rear end), but you avoid the chance of stripping a spur.

Yesterday I tested on a very high grip track, and came to a setup that almost eliminated the chance of traction rolling. The feel was also good, not to itchy to drive. I will post the setup later.
Please share setup.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Holmenkollen
Please share setup.
I will
Old 10-02-2012, 04:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

The PDF is to large, so here is a link to download it from my Dropbox folder:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31035638/Se...igh%20grip.pdf

In the notes you can see what I'd still like to test, but haven't gotten to jet.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

So I ordered a new chassis to replace my LE chassis. I was really disappointed with the old one and I always thought the chassis never had enough material around the back toe block screws. You can see in these picture's just how much more material the new chassis has compared to my old one. I feel like i got ripped off with the old one...

Old 10-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

While we are working on creating a new website for our foreign customers, I ll give you a headsup on our special of the month.

All orders above 100Euros in October will have free international shipping. (registered Airmail - you get a tracking number)

Head over to http://www.evilhobbyshop.com/Araba-Y...,LA_271-2.html and check our prices.

you can reach me from [email protected]

Also those of you attending the ETS race, we will be sending the new Serpent T-shirts to the event for those who will participate. We will supply 1 free T-shirt Per entry so if you are attending the first ETS race let me know so I can prepare the shipment.

Just go find Mustafa and get your t-shirt
Old 10-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toughbeard
Hi Guys,

While we are working on creating a new website for our foreign customers, I ll give you a headsup on our special of the month.

All orders above 100Euros in October will have free international shipping. (registered Airmail - you get a tracking number)

Head over to http://www.evilhobbyshop.com/Araba-Y...,LA_271-2.html and check our prices.

you can reach me from [email protected]

Also those of you attending the ETS race, we will be sending the new Serpent T-shirts to the event for those who will participate. We will supply 1 free T-shirt Per entry so if you are attending the first ETS race let me know so I can prepare the shipment.

Just go find Mustafa and get your t-shirt
Hey Toughbeard was Mustafa driving the S411te on the last years ETS in Austria? Could you poste some set-ups from him? That would be really nice ...

Regards
Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Geberit
Hey Toughbeard was Mustafa driving the S411te on the last years ETS in Austria? Could you poste some set-ups from him? That would be really nice ...

Regards
Yeah we were there. I ll tell him to post his Setup. but remember austria was extreme traction
Old 10-03-2012, 04:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toughbeard
Yeah we were there. I ll tell him to post his Setup. but remember austria was extreme traction
I was there too, that's why I was asking so I can compare it with mine!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Tech Addict

I was there too, that's why I was asking so I can compare it with mine!
You know we need to meet on the track

I sent him an email but he is either at school at the moment studying or with girls having a good time
Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Geberit and everyone,

As I had very little experience with EP cars before coming to ETS round 6, and no experience with that much traction, I pretty much dialed in a setup with trial and error, also because I met no other people there racing Serpent in modified.

Track had so much traction that if you have a stiff suspension, there is no doubt that you'd traction roll. Softening the suspension system was taking away the reactiveness of the car which helped a lot. Most of the teams opted for very low ride height such as 4mm or so, to be able to make the chassis touch the ground so car could "lose" some traction. That helped a lot but I think there is a minimum ride height rule at carpet races in order to protect the carpet.

Another thing that helped me a lot was to lower the front roll center and widening the front by adding offset shims to the wheel hub. These all made the car react smoothly and easy to drive.

Full setup is coming...
Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

I cannot say it was the absolute fastest and best setup, but at least I was able drive it easy without traction roll
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-etsaustr.jpg  
Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by musti72
I cannot say it was the absolute fastest and best setup, but at least I was able drive it easy without traction roll
Thanks for sharing Mustafa!

I hope I can come to a race or two this year. Plans are for Chech Republic, Austria and Slovakia but we'll see if everything works out. If you'll there I will come over.

Bye
Old 10-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for sharing Mustafa!

I hope I can come to a race or two this year. Plans are for Chech Republic, Austria and Slovakia but we'll see if everything works out. If you'll there I will come over.

Bye
We are going to try and come to most races. Grand Canary might be hard due to extreme cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.